Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Breezing racehorses

mom60mom60 Posts: 5,609Registered User Senior Member
edited June 2013 in Parent Cafe
My D texted me this morning asking if we would care if she applied for a job breezing race horses. She saw the job listed on her university job board. I have no clue what this job requires. I assume some level of risk. I am leaning towards saying no way.
Am I right?
Post edited by mom60 on

Replies to: Breezing racehorses

• sryrstresssryrstress Posts: 1,763Registered User Senior Member
    "A horse racing term often heard, breeze simply means: to run easily, under a hold, but with little encouragement. This is usually an easy morning workout for race horses." (yahoo.com--I didn't look up anything addt'l)

Is your D familiar with horses and like them? If so, why do you say no way? I think there are many advantages for youth in working with animals....way more than the typical crappy jobs for teenagers. I will admit there are additional safety risks, but any kid who has worked with animals should be well aware and take the appropriate precautions.
  • lizardlizard Posts: 2,925Registered User Senior Member
    Unless she is very experienced riding and handling horses, I wouldn't encourage her getting a job 'breezing racehorses.' Racehorses go fast, they're big, and one can get seriously injured falling off one or having one fall on her. If she falls or get hurts will she be provided insurance or workers compensation?
  • nj2011momnj2011mom Posts: 2,678Registered User Senior Member
    Agree that she needs to be a very experienced rider before she considers getting on a thoroughbred. They are the most skittish horses out there and bred for speed, reaching 25 mph.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    I think this depends entirely upon whether she has this kind of experience. I've trained hunter jumper (on thoroughbreds) all my life and I probably would not want this job, just because this is just not the kind of riding I am trained to do. I'd be perfectly comfortable warming up jumpers, which would be just as dangerous to somebody that doesn't have the right background. If I were familiar with riding around on young horses who are galloping at full speed, I don't know that I would have a problem with this-- many of my friends at the barn would probably be perfectly suited for it and I think it'd be a fun job. But, they have the relevant background.

This isn't a job someone with little or no riding experience should just pull out of a hat and go for, but I don't know that I believe it's inherently dangerous for a horse person to be doing.
  • mom60mom60 Posts: 5,609Registered User Senior Member
    She is an experienced equestrian. She has ridden many different horses and many of them were considered difficult or a bit of a Ferrari as her vet says. She had ridden ex thoroughbred racehorses. Her last horse was a thoroughbred.She has done hunters, jumpers and eventing. In college she is around horses 7 days a week.
    I am willing to be open if it is easy morning workouts and she has safety precautions and the facility is insured. It might be a moot point if she doesn't get a response to her application. She also is hopeful that some other exercise options open up at a eventing barn. With two summer school classes and training her own 8 yr old mount I don't know if she will even find the time.
  • nj2011momnj2011mom Posts: 2,678Registered User Senior Member
    As she knows, there's a huge difference with a trained 8yo Thoroughbred that is now a eventing horse and a 3-4yo in the prime of its racing career. It would also depend on the quality of the horse and how they are being trained. I would want to stay away from trainers that have any hint of drug issues (horses), as they may be patching up injured horses that could break down at any time.

She should wear a flak jacket vest in addition to the helmet if she's going to take them on the track.
  • cnp55cnp55 Posts: 3,457Registered User Senior Member
    She's an eventer. She has a helmet and a protective vest. She knows how to ride.

Is she going to be breezing at the track or the farm? On babies or current horses in training?

I was offered one of these jobs once upon a time -- and I think I might have done well at it. I was (at the time) very fit and very experienced. She does need to be very careful and be comfortable with the trainer and the organization. Not sure I'd want to do this at the track -- I was offered a job riding babies.

Would I let my child do this? My kids don't ride, so it's hard to say. From my experience, if they were great, tight riders I might actually let them try it out as a summer job.
  • mom60mom60 Posts: 5,609Registered User Senior Member
    cnp55 thanks for your post. I don't know the details of the job. I don't know if she does. From the location I think it is a farm. It might remain a moot point since she had still not heard back from them.