Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

VaBluebirdVaBluebird Posts: 982Registered User Member
edited October 2013 in Parent Cafe
I think I want to wear a shaper thingie or thingies under my dress for the wedding. I'm not of the disillusion that anything will make me look thin, but I feel I'd feel a bit better if my midriff was encased in something tight enough yet comfy. Have you guys ever done this? Any favorite brands or types or styles? Also I know pantyhose aren't popular right now, but I'm an older lady and I will have to wear them as well. I refuse to be bare legged. TIA!
Post edited by VaBluebird on

Replies to: shapewear

• kelsmomkelsmom Posts: 12,525Super Moderator Senior Member
    I have been wearing shapewear for the last few years. It really does make a difference! It reins in the fluffy stuff!! I'm pretty trim, but I am more than a few years past menopause, and things just aren't as tight as they used to be. These are really good with a dress: http://www.maidenform.com/flexees/styles/body-briefers/flexees-take-inches-off-wear-your-own-bra-wyob-singlet-2556.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Posts: 26,716Registered User Senior Member
    Do you have a Nordstrom? Go there and let them recommend something for you. No need to make this harder than it needs to be. Spanx is a good choice.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,924Registered User Senior Member
    Spanx...the key is getting a size that fits you well.
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird Posts: 982Registered User Member
    Yep, happen to be going to Nordstrom on Friday. Maybel I'll just consult an expert there. Makes sense.
  • juniebugjuniebug Posts: 416Registered User Member
    I think we may be leading parallel lives. I am about to do a hall bath remodel, and my son is getting married next summer. And, I'm originally from Virginia. Don't think I could bear to wear shapewear to this wedding, though. It will be on the beach in Florida. Again, in the summer.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 16,747Registered User Senior Member
    Technically, I do not need shapewear, but I still like to wear it once in a while under fitted dresses - it takes care of the panty line issues and other minor imperfections. It also reminds me to keep my hands off the hors d'oeuvres tray :D Just kidding.

I like Simone Perele shapewear line, which, I'm sure, Nordstrom carries. Very smooth, silky, and not suffocating. It also stays put.
  • chocchipcookiechocchipcookie Posts: 2,010Registered User Senior Member
    I personally am not a fan of Spanx for the simple reason that they ride up my thighs and do not stay in place. I think it's because of their shiny material.

I have used Body Wrap's by Christina America for years and LOVE them. I bought them locally at a lingerie/bra shop but then when they went out of business, I bought and continue to buy them on-line. The only weird thing was when I received them in the mail, they were not packaged, but loose, so I just washed them, of course, before wearing.

I would highly recommend!
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom Posts: 6,356Registered User Senior Member
    You should try it if you'll enjoy yourself more.

My own philosophy is to either be in great shape (I'm not) or be satisfied with a less clingy style. I just enjoy myself more when comfortable. That also means I don't wear crazy-high heels either.
  • lerkinlerkin Posts: 1,428Registered User Senior Member
    Spanx...the key is getting a size that fits you well.

Totally agree. Otherwise you will look like an overstuffed sausage.

I personally don't wear shapers, but I do wear Spanx tights, because my legs are very pale. I am a bit younger than you and I don't care they are not popular right now. They make me look so much better than without tights.
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird Posts: 982Registered User Member
    I think we may be leading parallel lives. I am about to do a hall bath remodel, and my son is getting married next summer. And, I'm originally from Virginia. Don't think I could bear to wear shapewear to this wedding, though. It will be on the beach in Florida. Again, in the summer.>>>>

yeah, might be a bit hot!
  • justforthisjustforthis Posts: 365Registered User Member
    I have bought and often wear this. Price is very reasonable and I like the fact that you wear your own bra (too often bra/cup size and shapewear size don't match my size in the all in ones) and that the straps go over the shoulders so there is no riding up.
    Sweet Nothings Simply Heaven Women's Romper Shapewear: Intimates : Walmart.com
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 16,747Registered User Senior Member
    This piece is on the pricey side, but it is comfy, stays up, and can be worn with any bra, including strapless, and/or hose:

Top Model High Waist Brief

Now I have Nancy Meyer ads all over my screen!!
  • ThreekidsThreekids Posts: 407Registered User Member
    I tried Spanx but the waistband rolls down. I also will not go without stockings, and I just found these terrific stockings at Steinmart! They are called Hanes Anti-Cellulite Shapers, and I swear they work better than Spanx, and they are much more comfortable, once you get them on (which wasn't easy!). I am small but I have heavy legs, especially my thighs which stick out. Well, these things work great for reducing my butt and thighs, and I'm going to wear them for my daughter's wedding next month. Because they are stockings they seem to stay in place well, and maybe because they aren't as thick, the waist doesn't roll.

I do not like the look of bare legs unless you have really nice, legs and they have some color. I don't think it's so much a matter of age as what shape your legs are in.
  • boysx3boysx3 Posts: 5,160Registered User Senior Member
    Do any of the one piece shapers have snaps between the legs?
  • justforthisjustforthis Posts: 365Registered User Member
    The Walmart one that I linked has hook and eyes (bra type hooks in case I got the terminology wrong) :-)