Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Target credit/debit card security breach

nj2011momnj2011mom Posts: 2,643Registered User Senior Member
edited January 19 in Parent Cafe
Anyone else concerned about this?

We mostly use a Citibank MasterCard and they are great with fraud detection. I'm concerned about D1 who uses her debit card there all the time, including Black Friday when we were shopping together.

I've told her to contact her bank and get a new card. No clue if she's done it, as she still has another final on Monday and isn't home yet.
Post edited by nj2011mom on

Replies to: Target credit/debit card security breach

• toledotoledo Posts: 4,088Registered User Senior Member
    I'm concerned. I looked throught all my recent receipts, but couldn't find the Target reciept. I'm hoping I paid cash, but can't for the life of me, remember what I purchased.

My son had his wallet stolen Saturday night at Grand Central in NYC. That is our big headache right now!
  • IllinoisMom2006IllinoisMom2006 Posts: 879Registered User Member
    Good article about the breach:

Target card breach: What to know « Bankrate, Inc.

Sounds like the big banks are already monitoring.

I, too, worry about D's debit transactions there. I alerted her this morning to check her account but have not heard back.
  • Niquii77Niquii77 Posts: 9,007Registered User Senior Member
    I love Target. :(

I just went there the other day...
  • FlossyFlossy Posts: 2,454Registered User Senior Member
    I love Target, too. This is bad.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 8,007Registered User Senior Member
    I haven't been there in ages, but I did finally end up there recently, during this window. :mad:
  • arabrabarabrab Posts: 4,511Registered User Senior Member
    Reuters article suggested that if you used a debit card that you not wait for fraud to appear since it is much more time-consuming to get debit card charges reversed and the money back into your account -- just ask for a new card right away.
  • QuietLurkingMomQuietLurkingMom Posts: 113Registered User Junior Member
    The bank where we have our debit card has already send out emails advising customers to double check activity but - to our surprise -none of us have been to Target recently.

QLM
  • 1moremom1moremom Posts: 3,796Registered User Senior Member
    Am I correct that, if my elderly parents didn't use their card, their info is not at risk? (I've already had to replace my VISA card this season due to fraud.)
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 22,302Registered User Senior Member
    Bah. I rarely shop at Target, but alas- I did in that time frame. Twice!

Luckily I only use one CC so it'll be easy to keep track of.
  • TempeMomTempeMom Posts: 1,183Registered User Senior Member
    I'm probably too lacksidasical to be very worried. I get daily updates from my accounts...so....eh.
  • TreetopleafTreetopleaf Posts: 2,684Registered User Senior Member
    I assume that Target's own credit cards were compromised too? I wonder when they will figure out how this was accomplished.
  • LergnomLergnom Posts: 6,524Registered User Senior Member
    Target cards don't have a cash advance feature so the only liability is the minimal credit card fraud limit and then Target eats it.
  • Axand238Axand238 Posts: 118- Junior Member
    One thing i would like to point out is that just because you do not shop at Target doesnt mean that your information is SAFE. Credit card information is always theoretically vulnerable in databases; there is no such thing as 100% perfect security. Target happens to be the company that was victimized this time but there are probably other stores whose own security scares haven't hit the news yet.

Best security is to check your back/CC statements periodically for weird or inexplicable charges. Don't just assume that Target is the only company that has had information stolen recently or that you are safe just because the places you shop at haven't been on the news. After all, it can often take days or weeks to steal info and sometimes thieves don't make major hacks like this that attract media attention -- I have heard of cases where a single server in a restaurant copies creidt card info from patrons paying their bill. THAT WON'T make the news but it can happen!!

I'm not saying be PARANOID - most of the time you are perfectly safe, but just pay attention to your statements and don't just hope no one is siphoning off cash!
  • Sally22Sally22 Posts: 450Registered User Member
    Replacement Amex card on the way!
  • patsmompatsmom Posts: 2,989Registered User Senior Member
    I called USAA earlier this evening to cancel my debit card. I've never been put on hold for a representative when calling them, but today I held for nearly 10 minutes. The rep told me that they've been swamped all day with the Target thing. Everybody is calling for replacement cards.