Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Target credit/debit card security breach

Replies to: Target credit/debit card security breach

• WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 8,758 Senior Member
    I got phishing emails this morning purporting to be from Experian credit reporting with a link to check my credit report since my account may have been subject to fraud. However, the sender's email account on the email was groupon.dk.

I had planned to take a wait & see attitude but now will cancel my credit card and get a new one. And while I'm at the credit union this morning doing this, will ask them to run a credit check for me.
  • MarilynMarilyn Registered User Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    I got an email from our credit card company on this subject; we had used our card twice in early December at Target. I'm monitoring our account daily but it sounds like I don't have to do anything more. I did set up an alert to be notified of international purchases.
  • hops_scouthops_scout Registered User Posts: 3,903 Senior Member
    I got an email from my bank the other day about this. They have gone through and identified every bank member whose cards were used at Target during this time and contacted them separately. I don't think they planned to re-issue cards preemptively. Part of that decision likely has to do with the fact they had to deal with the Schnucks fraud last year.

Those of you who do get new cards, remember to update that information with companies you may have EFT set up with. That was a headache for us at work last year because the majority of our billing is done EFT so I was having to go in and refund return charges..
  • LasMaLasMa Registered User Posts: 10,847 Senior Member
    We cancelled our debit cards this morning, although my credit union is REALLY pushing people not to. The rep said there was a lot of overtime yesterday as they were inundated with calls, and will be for some days to come. That's a cost my credit union will have to bear, along with the cost of re-issuing who knows how many debit cards. I'm sure it's the same at every bank, credit union, and credit card issuer. It doesn't seem right to me that innocent parties should have to bear the cost of Target's failure to protect our information, and (maybe even worse) their failure to notice for almost three weeks that there was a problem. And BTW, what's up with Target's not notifying their customers immediately on December 15, but instead waiting until the media caught on 4 or 5 days later? Not a good case study in crisis management.

In my conversation with the credit union rep, I mentioned the recommendation I've been hearing to check my credit reports to be sure that new credit isn't being opened in my name, as a result of this situation. She pointed out that no one would be able to open credit in my name, based just on the information that was stolen. No one got my name, SSN, address, bank account number. I know it's always wise to keep an eye on our credit reports, but does this Target situation pose an extra risk? What she said made sense to me.
  • bluejaybluejay Registered User Posts: 915 Member
    I went to the credit union and blocked any Target transactions. Not sure if that was necessary but couldn't seem to find an answer about the TARGET only debit card. It's not a credit card (no VISA logo) but it is directly linked to my checking account and that was my concern. That was easy enough to do but the rep said they were not recommending those who had a credit card or a bank issued debit card to cancel them. I do realize the headache involved as others have mentioned but monitoring to see what happens after the fact did not provide much of a good feeling.
  • lamomlamom Registered User Posts: 1,319 Senior Member
    My brother was working long hours and didn't know about the Target till he used ATM card at targets starbucks. He is on way to bank now:(. Poor guy, downsized, found new job after months. Now this. I sent him a Starbucks ecard-
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    I got a call from my bank yesterday that I used my debit card at Target during the vulnerable period (for a bunch of stuff related to charity drives, oy!), and that I could stop into the branch to pick up a new card, or they could mail it to me. Which I did, an hour later.

Amalgamated Bank, the only union-owned bank in the country. Free ATMs, free withdrawals from cash machines at McDonald's and many other places, free checking, no minimum balance. Love it!
  • nj2011momnj2011mom Registered User Posts: 2,885 Senior Member
    Any one have experience with Wells Fargo and how they are dealing with debit cards that may have been affected? D1 needs to get into a branch, but was too busy with church activities this morning to make the trip. She doesn't seem to be as concerned as I am. (I used my citibank mastercard during the time period and haven't heard from them yet).
  • LasMaLasMa Registered User Posts: 10,847 Senior Member
    nj2011mom, are you sure she needs to go in to a Wells Fargo branch? I was able to cancel my debit card over the phone (credit union), as well as order a new one which will come by mail in a few days. I gather from this thread that others are doing the same.
  • lawrencemomlawrencemom Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    My credit union sent me two letters already about this fiasco, long before Target responded. I almost drove to their corporate headquarters, since I'm in their 'hometown' and couldn't get anywhere by phone, web.... etcetera. However, so far, so good. My kid used the Target VISA card in Europe during her semester abroad with no issues, including yesterday. And it was great: no fees, even, for using it there. Am I nervous? A bit, but I'm not cancelling anything, yet, and since it's not a debit card linked directly to the bank, hopefully it will stay okay. It's allllll over the news here, though, and I feel for all who have been victimized. :( What a holiday snafu. Makes me wonder about ALL of the cards we use.
  • nj2011momnj2011mom Registered User Posts: 2,885 Senior Member
    I went to my local Target at 9:45 this morning for a few thing. and it was very quiet. I walked right up to the cashier. Asked for my 10% discount and she dead-panned 'I don't know what your talking about'. I guess my face fell, then she smiled and said 'of course', so I got 10% off a few last minute stocking stuffers.
  • FlossyFlossy Registered User Posts: 3,121 Senior Member
    I just got back from Target, too. It was busy and we got D some back to school and last minute Christmas stuff. They took 10% off and I used my Target Visa for another 5% discount. Hoping for the best.
    Luckily, I never signed up for the debit card.
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 Registered User Posts: 1,697 Senior Member
    Went to my local bank and they closed the debit acct. and printed a new card with a new acct. number on the spot.
  • teriwttteriwtt Super Moderator Posts: 12,525 Super Moderator
    This is the alert posted on the website of our credit union:
    Target confirmed earlier today that approximately 40 million credit and debit card accounts may have been impacted between November 27 and December 15, 2013. Target has engaged a data security firm to conduct a thorough investigation of this situation.

If you used your XXXX Credit or Debit Card at any Target stores between November 27 and December 15, 2013, we encourage you to take precautionary measures, including checking your accounts for unauthorized transactions. If you suspect that your XXXX Credit or Debit Card was used without your authorization, please contact us 24/7 at XXX-XXX-XXXX, and we would be happy to assist you.

XXXX will continue to monitor the situation and provide members additional updates as they become available.

Unfortunately, Ds used my credit union debit card at Target the day after Thanksgiving. I've been monitoring my account, and nothing suspicious has come up yet. Am leaning towards the do-nothing-now, and wait it out option, but may change my mind.
This discussion has been closed.