Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

This Is Us. Anyone watching?

Replies to: This Is Us. Anyone watching?

• 2VU06092VU0609 Registered User Posts: 3,013 Senior Member
    Too early to draw a conclusion for me, but I liked it enough to add it to my series list on the DVR.
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 16,876 Senior Member
    I thought it was OK. I missed the twist entirely -- I thought it was just harmonic resonance, and completely missed the connection between the stories and the timeline. Until my wife pointed it out. And I thought, "Yeah! That explains some of the weird stuff in the Mandy Moore scenes!"

I thought the weight issues had promise. I was really not feeling the midlife crisis of the sitcom actor. The lost bio father plotline seemed cliched, but exceptionally well-acted, especially the father. It has a long way to go, though, to hang with Parenthood, thirtysomething, Freaks & Geeks, etc., in my pantheon. At some point, I am going to consider going back to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • psychmommapsychmomma Registered User Posts: 2,067 Senior Member
    I liked it enough to watch it again. I remember liking Parenthood more right from the start. But I like to give promising shows several episodes before giving up.
  • bevhillsbevhills Registered User Posts: 1,381 Senior Member
    We liked it. Gerald McRainey is wonderful...we will watch again.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 11,439 Senior Member
    @bevhills I, too, like Gerald McRaney but he is only in the pilot, according to one article I read.
  • collage1collage1 Registered User Posts: 1,163 Senior Member
    Dh and I just watched it and are intrigued enough to watch again. I think it hooked me...I also probably won't but think it'd be fun to rewatch and look for the clues I missed the first time.
  • shellfellshellfell Registered User Posts: 2,575 Senior Member
    In thinking about it, the father waiting to be informed about his wife's c-section instead of being there should've been a clue. I think while watching it I dismissed it since I assumed he was not invited in because it was an emergency c-section.
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 16,876 Senior Member

What really should have been a clue was the OB offering the new dad a cigarette in the waiting room, and realizing that there was lots of smoking going on there. Also, the really old-fashioned equipment. And Mandy Moore, who has always seemed like she belonged to another era (although for me that era wouldn't necessarily have been 1980).
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 11,439 Senior Member
    There was also a birthday clue in the email opened on Randall's computer screen.
  • shellfellshellfell Registered User Posts: 2,575 Senior Member
    I thought it was the firefighter who brought in Randall who offered the dad a cigarette, not the OB. That's when I started realizing something was up.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,606 Senior Member
    I noticed the clues too so knew that story line was in the past ( the dads longish hair was another clue for me it wasn't present day.)

When I heard she was having triplets figured the three same day birthdays had to be that they were related - plus the looking for the bio dad made it obvious to me (in part because of the adopted brothers in Grace and Frankie are different races, too.)

I enjoyed it and will watch the next few episodes to see if it's a keeper.
  • BarbalotBarbalot Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    The thought flitted through my mind early in the show that the dad's hair and beard looked like my dad's in 1970s and not so much like the hipster-ish beard/hair today, but then I promptly forgot about it. I read somewhere that the earlier year is actually 1979 (not sure why) and found it interesting since I was a sophomore in college then, exactly the year my daughter is now.
  • bevhillsbevhills Registered User Posts: 1,381 Senior Member
    I got it immediately when the father insisted on "natural" birth. With my oldest was born (he is 34) giving birth was a competition of who lasted the longest sans meds, and no c sections.
  • oregon101oregon101 Registered User Posts: 4,511 Senior Member
    Wow--I missed so much! So I watched again while on my elliptical today and caught much more.
    I am in for at least a few episodes. Guessing I will watch as this type of show relaxing to me.
    Now the new Grey's was Not satisfying at all.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,026 Senior Member
    ^I agree. Nobody wants Meredith pulling this kind of stupid stunts at this point.