Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

This Is Us. Anyone watching?

Replies to: This Is Us. Anyone watching?

• Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Registered User Posts: 18,988 Senior Member
    At the end, what did teen Kate see as she was walking up to ... a car maybe? Wasn't sure what was happening there.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 16,501 Senior Member
    My DVR cut off before the previews for next week - did I miss anything?

We gain more insight into Randall too - his attempt to find parents via the internet....the meeting of the fake mom - he was smart enough to know right away - to sense it was not right. And maybe more about his emotional/mental state - as he talks about the ringing in his head, the loneliness, the feeling of being split in two w/families.

And Rebecca really standing by Jack's side. She believed in him.
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 16,876 Senior Member
    I basically hated this episode. I was bored with everyone except Randall and his family. The Sly Stallone and Ron Howard cameos were gratuitous and unconvincing as heck (in the case of Stallone at least). Everyone was super-whiny. I am not looking forward to the parallel stories of Kevin's pill addiction and Jack's alcoholism.

I do like the actors they have hired to play the triplets in high school. But I am going to stop watching if the episodes don't improve.
  • JoblueJoblue Registered User Posts: 1,177 Senior Member
    I was just happy that this episode was Toby-free. I know we are meant to like him but i find him manipulative and really creepy; Kate deserves so much better. I'm struck by how much the young actress playing Kate as a teen really looks and sounds like adult Kate. They really nailed the casting there.
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,135 Senior Member
    I agree about the cameos...the show doesn't need big names to pull us in. Also agree everyone seemed "whiny" lol. Not their best episode by far.
  • rom828rom828 Registered User Posts: 1,400 Senior Member
    I just binged on Season 1 and watched the first episode ion Season 2. Agree that some are VERY good and others are so-so. Randall and Beth have the most dimension and real. Acting is very strong in most all cases.
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 28,117 Super Moderator
    My biggest problem with the episode was Kevin. Actors tap into their emotions and their memories to populate their characters. If Kevin is that emotionally stunted, no way would he be starring in anything. In fact, the scene he was shooting would have been the perfect place to think about his father. Yes, I know it's not rooted in reality, but this one just didn't make sense.
  • uwalummomuwalummom Registered User Posts: 326 Member
    I didn't miss Toby at all.
    I miss William so much. I didn't even realize how much until that scene on the stairs.
  • oregon101oregon101 Registered User Posts: 4,511 Senior Member
    Barbalot, cool story!!
  • BarbalotBarbalot Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    I miss William, too. He's always been my favorite. As for the unevenness of the quality of episodes, I discovered that last season my favorite ones were directed by Ken Olin.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 30,927 Super Moderator
    edited October 12
    I didn't recognize Ken Olin at first in one of the "after" shows. He looks so different from "thirtysomething!"

I also thought this episode was pretty weak. I told DH he didn't need to watch it because not much happened.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 3,547 Senior Member
    Can we just get to Jack's demise already? I'm yawning all the way there.
  • mom2andmom2and Registered User Posts: 2,118 Senior Member
    I like Kate, although at times she does seem overly sensitive. I thought the scene last week between Rebecca and Kate after Kate's performance was very powerful. Rebecca didn't think she was being negative and was trying to be supportive (in her own way), and yet Kate heard it as criticism and as something that ruined her first performance. To me, it spoke to the difficulty of parenting at times - wanting the best for our kids, but sometimes making things worse.

Yet I also thought that it was a bit ridiculous that they all flew out to see Kevin in the Manny but then all left in the middle. It also made no sense that Kate would have gotten that gig based on her not very good audition.

As others have said, this week was weaker, and I am wondering where the foster daughter story line will go. I really like Beth and think the actress is great.