Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

March Madness 2017

Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 14,502 Senior Member
I'm surprised there is no thread on this yet. My apologies if I've overlooked it.

I'm not a big basketball fan, but I get that March Madness is very exciting and people get very passionate about it. I read yesterday about the "big controversy" in the Seton Hall vs. Arkansas game. I read that SH received a "Flagrant Foul" on a play near the end of the game that cos them the game. I watched the clip, and could not figure out what all the fuss was. Comments online made mention many times that it was a totally wrong call, unfair and obviously the determining factor in SH's loss. Many insisted that the Arkansas player just tripped over his own feet, when the clip clearly shows that the SH player's foot made contact with the Arkansas player's foot, causing the trip.

Okay, I really don't get the problem here. The defender made no attempt to play the ball. He took both hands and shoved the Arkansas player in the back in order to make him face plant. He also tripped the player as well (might have been unintentional, can't tell). How is this NOT a "flagrant foul"?

Here is the clip with commentary by a referee official:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-03-17/flagrant-foul-end-arkansas-vs-seton-hall-explained

Some surprising upsets, Duke most notably. Looks to be a typical crazy month tourney. :)

Replies to: March Madness 2017

• Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Registered User Posts: 14,502 Senior Member
    Here is the rule in question:
    A flagrant 1 personal foul is a personal foul that
    is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but is not based solely
    on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
    1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent;
    2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player,
    specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
    3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score;

4. Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly
    involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock
    from starting; and
    5. Contact with a player making a throw-in.
    6. Illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow that is deemed
    excessive or unnecessary but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2
    personal foul (pg. 47)

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-03-17/flagrant-foul-end-arkansas-vs-seton-hall-explained
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Registered User Posts: 18,945 Senior Member
    I'm no rules expert, but I think what basketball fans are angry about is that it feels heavy-handed. Everyone knows that he was trying to foul him. As they say, let them play.
    edited March 20
    Yeah, I saw those types of comments. So it's okay to break the rules if the game is important, or if it's towards the end? I've seen fouls that looked like incidental contact to me, where it does seem heavy handed. This looked like a blatant ploy to keep the guy from scoring and furthering their lead. It's a big game for them, too.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Registered User Posts: 18,945 Senior Member
    Well, it definitely was an attempt to keep him from scoring. That's the whole point of the game! lol

I didn't watch the game so I don't know how the refs "called" it. I'm guessing that the flagrant foul felt to those who question it that the refs had called it loose up until then and so this felt like overreach.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 11,378 Senior Member
    It's interesting to see the widespread glee today at Duke's loss.
    ^^^^Many of whom live in Chapel Hill, NC. ;)
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 21,683 Senior Member
    Duke's loss has united America!

My team had the unfortunate memorable play of the tournament- Vandy player mistakenly thinking Vandy was down a point with seconds to go instead of up a point fouled the opposing player. Led to a loss. Heartbreaking, but the mean and hateful reactions of sports reporters and those whose brackets were hurt was just horrible.
  • VaBluebirdVaBluebird Registered User Posts: 2,823 Senior Member
    Car-o-li-na!!!!
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,007 Senior Member
    I'm not a big basketball fan but usually enjoy March madness. This year I'm loving the Charles Barkley/Samuel L. Jackson/Spike Lee commercials. They are very sharp.
  • jaylynnjaylynn Registered User Posts: 1,634 Senior Member
    My two teams, Wisconsin (my alma mater and my son's school) and Oregon (where we live and attend games now) are both in! It's fun, stressful and making me crazy all in equal measure. On Wisconsin! Go Ducks!
  • eastcoascrazyeastcoascrazy Registered User Posts: 2,358 Senior Member
    From an article I sent my son and his GF (both UNC grads):

"Duke losing early in the NCAA tournament isn't technically a national holiday, but it feels like it. Try telling these UNC fans that Christmas is better than this: (several photos of celebrating UNC fans) The faces! So many good faces!"
  • C3BakerC3Baker Registered User Posts: 689 Member
    MOWC - the end of the Vanderbilt game was heartbreaking. I felt so bad for that player and all the grief that he was sure to get.
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 1,160 Senior Member
    Most sports are off my radar, but oh how I enjoy March Madness. So many exciting emotional games!
    edited March 21
    My team had the unfortunate memorable play of the tournament- Vandy player mistakenly thinking Vandy was down a point with seconds to go instead of up a point fouled the opposing player. Led to a loss.

Yikes. That's going to bother him for a long, long time. Poor guy. :(
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 21,683 Senior Member
    Yeah, the headlines were ugly. The WSJ had a more positive article. That particular player is a little bit fragile (emotionally) anyway, so this was not a good thing. The team and the real fans have all rallied behind him, though. Also- we wouldn't have even been IN the game without his 22 points to shoot us back into contention (before his mistake).