Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Travel survey: What are your favorite places on earth?

Replies to: Travel survey: What are your favorite places on earth?

• fractalmstrfractalmstr Registered User Posts: 2,159 Senior Member
    edited August 1
    On a houseboat on Lake Powell.
  • QuantMechQuantMech Registered User Posts: 7,268 Senior Member
    Strikingly beautiful: Santorini, also a forest in the north of Scotland, with craggy trees illuminated by the afternoon sun
    Every ten feet there is some staggering building or artifact: Rome
    Exceptional beauty and cultural importance, despite unappealing urban environment: Athens
    Life will find a way: Cancun--because it seems that the jungle is taking it back
    Some people really like wind: Chicago
    Beautiful, welcoming, but "now leave and do not take any natural items with you": Hawaii. I would like to go to Maui and Kauai nevertheless.
    Best museum: The British Museum. Hands down. QMP: "Is that the real Rosetta Stone?"
    City I just discovered this year: Santander, Spain
    Place I really like and hardly anyone understands this: Disney World

Bucket list: I really want to see the aurora. Isle of Skye. I also want to return to distant places that were very meaningful to me earlier in my life.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,957 Senior Member
    "Best museum: The British Museum. Hands down. QMP: "Is that the real Rosetta Stone?""

It is an amazing collection but it's hard to view it without thinking of all the history, colonialism, and pilfering behind it.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 5,608 Senior Member
    @doschicos --When we were in Athens it seemed a LOT had been "acquired" by the British Museum. But in some instances these days I'm simultaneously grateful that some antiquities have been taken and safeguarded rather than being destroyed despite the history of how it was first obtained.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,069 Senior Member
    Stunningly beautiful: Nepal, Vietnam, San Francisco Bay Area, the coast of Maine

Fascinating culturally: India

Let’s party: These are places I avoid

Major disappointments: Not "major" but I was underwhelmed by Sri Lanka and Malaysia

Bucket list: Turkey. Israel. Morocco. Norway. Portugal. Back to India
  • whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 569 Member
    My favorite museum, so far, is the Uffizi in Florence, mainly because of the Botticellis. I haven't been to Madrid though, so the Prado is on my bucket list; I'd love to see Las Meninas by Velazquez.
  • TempeMomTempeMom Registered User Posts: 2,705 Senior Member
    A show I am reluctant to name aloud has been in Croatia and it looks awesome!
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 5,303 Senior Member
    I loved seeing Las Meninas by Velasquez. Then in Barcelona, the Picasso museum has a large room devoted to his re-interpretations of Las Meninas.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,101 Senior Member
    Yeah, @TempeMom, Croatia. Looks gorgeous.

The Picasso is fascinating, to see his very young talent.
    doschicos, you have a valid point about the British Museum. I would like to see the "Elgin" marbles returned to Athens now. Athens has a new and very beautiful Parthenon Museum where they could be displayed. I believe that they could be safely preserved there now.

It would have been better for humanity if the Bamiyan Buddhas destroyed by the Taliban had been "looted" by Western Europeans and repatriated later, when they were safe. I agree with gouf78 that the situation is not utterly clear-cut and it depends on circumstances at the time.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Registered User Posts: 7,287 Senior Member
    Favorite cities: Paris, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Amsterdam, Munich, Montreal, New Orleans
    Most beautiful: Grand Tetons, Central California coast, Canadian Rockies, Amalfi Coast, Rio de Janiero
    Favorite National Parks: Yosemite, Zion, Everglades
    Most awe-inspiring: Giant Sequoias (some are 3,000 years old), Humpback and Blue Whales
    Some favorites off the beaten path: Okracoke, NC; coastal Maine; Upper Peninsula of Michigan, highlands of Ecuador
    Disappointing: Disneyland/Disneyworld, Cancun, Dublin, Beijing, Sydney, Atlanta, San Diego
    Bucket list: Budapest, Istanbul, Swiss Alps, the Algarve (Portugal)
  • CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 12,358 Senior Member
    A friend of mine has been an expat for the past six years and has traveled the heck out of Europe. I save her trip posts on FB to give shape to some of my bucket list items. Another FB friend is point-to-point hiking in Scotland and I am beyond envious at the scenery and the ability to hike that much each day. Makes me want to return! QuantMech: Isle of Skye. Definitely.
  • jaylynnjaylynn Registered User Posts: 1,634 Senior Member
    @TempeMom : we took a GoT tour in Dubrovnik and while a bit cheesy, it was also So. Much. Fun. And so much history and cultural info snuck in there, too!
    I want to add Barcelona and Kyoto to my bucket list.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,101 Senior Member
    edited August 11
    Right now, my fav places have grand,expansive water views. Coastal Maine, my own state's waterside venues.I don't like sitting on the beach so much (i'm good for 45 minutes,) but a nice restaurant or park is doing the trick. Big water views.