Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Flip This House Grandma House

Replies to: Flip This House Grandma House

• MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,105 Senior Member
    Thanks for the hall bathroom update pics. Now I know what my bathroom would look like if I had removed the glued-on wall mirror and left the vanity in place. It looks like you put in new light fixtures too, right? Because the old ones were just like my old ones. Maybe we had the same decorator.
  • coralbrookcoralbrook Registered User Posts: 6,501 Senior Member
    Based on your profile picture...looks like you updated the faucets:). Yep, same era of decor
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,043 Senior Member
    Ok....so replace the faucets with brushed nickel finish. Guaranteed....that will make the counter top look even worse!

It's a domino effect....the more you fix...the worse the rest is going to look.

Those cabinets are a dark version of the oak cabinets we currently have...the raised panels. I like the dark coilor...but not the 1990's style. But then...maybe I can just paint my cabinets!
    edited October 6
    It is finally getting very exciting at the Grandma project. Everything is coming together really fast.

All of the flooring is installed except the kitchen area.
    Lighting is installed and today we are putting in the big foyer light and dining room hanging light. These were selected and purchased by the owners.

Kitchen cabinet handles going on

Countertop was installed last night

Appliances going in

I loaded some pictures of the new countertop. It is a gorgeous material - Namig Fantasy marble with natural quartz in the stone. Unfortunately the pictures make it look like a petri dish experiment. But it is now one of my favorite for countertops.... except for the fact that it has etching issues from any acids left on the countertop too long. Not really 'maintenance free' type of material. It's been sealed with one coat of special sealant and we will do another coat next week.

But I've always thought there are 2 ways to live with marble countertops. Either you are American and fuss over making sure that nothing is left on the countertop and constantly wipe it down. Or you are European and embrace the 'patina' that it develops from faint stains and etching, similar to old marble countertops in Italy.

Loaded some new pictures
  • scualumscualum Registered User Posts: 2,862 Senior Member
    Pictures are great - I love the kitchen cabinets and countertop... Great choice!!!
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,606 Senior Member
    Is that going to be the only sink in the kitchen?
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 31,951 Senior Member
    Is that a problem? I can live without my bar sink... with just the sink like the one pictured.
    It would be for me. I don’t want the sink in the island where I eat.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 31,951 Senior Member
    Different traditions. I would never eat at a kitchen island, sink or not, as I prefer a slow meal at a dining table. Because my husband agrees, we have a choice of 3 dining tables: kitchen, dining room, and patio. :)
    I don’t have a table in my kitchen but even with my dining room table a few feet away, we only eat there when we have company.

I don’t like islands with cooktops on them either.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Registered User Posts: 6,985 Senior Member
    CB what do you think of Roman travertine? I keep going back to them at the kitchen designer I'm seeing. Not choosing anything yet, but I love the old patina. Somebody talk me down....
    That is only sink in kitchen. Laundry room is through door on left. It has a big deep sink. I talked them into removing old lineoleum tile countertop and replacing with quartz.

The cabinets do not look so dark in real life because there is a lot of natural light and ton of ceiling lights
    Regarding roman travertine...I'm guessing that is a big slab of tumbled cream marble. My biggest concern is that tumbled travertine has a lot of natural holes and crevices which will trap everything in a kitchen and it would be impossible to seal because it is very porous.

I have seen a new fancy countertop product made out of polyester (i think) that mimics stone and is gorgeous. You might want to research that product to get the travertine look
    edited October 6
    The reason the sink was moved out to island is to take advantage of the views. Remember where it was before? Facing a concrete retaining wall on side of house. This was the only way to enjoy views from the sink. Owners love everything and are blown away with how nice it looks coming together
    edited October 6
    Since I rarely wash dishes by hand that wouldn’t be important to me at all, but to each their own.