Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Let's Talk About Anxiety

Replies to: Let's Talk About Anxiety

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,957 Senior Member
    edited August 11
    Thank you all for sharing your personal experiences and answering my questions.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,231 Senior Member
    Wow, just met a patient today who has anxiety and a chronic breathing condition, which makes a tough combo. He was happy to meet people who are living well with the same health condition and is now reassured it's not a death sentence.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,957 Senior Member
    That does sound like a tough combo, @HImom!
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,231 Senior Member
    He mentioned that his heart races when he gets anxious as well. He's still adjusting to his breathing diagnosis and being told he can no longer work because it's too hard with his lung condition.
  • WellspringWellspring Registered User Posts: 994 Member
    There are many different kinds of anxiety. The kinds of anxiety that people here seem to be talking about are the kinds that interfere with the normal activities of life.
  • KKmamaKKmama Registered User Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Add me to the list. I've had anxiety issues for as long as I can remember. Some of its genetic most likely (my mom took "pep pills" when I was a kid) and some is epigenetics (she was suicidal when pregnant with me and prayed to miscarry). Some is probably related to the incest - anticipating the assault whenever we visited that relative.

I remember as a little kid worrying that my grandparents would die whenever I slept at their home on weekends to the point that I laid awake for hours. It's still easy for me to worry and ruminate.

The anxiety causes a host of medical issues that come and go. Bladder spasms and varicose veins of the bladder. An eczema patch on the back of my neck. Postmenopausal bleeding. Gastrointestinal stuff- my doc always assumes stress and anxiety before seeking a physical cause.

I do a lot of self talk and have learned that working out at the gym is a good distraction.
  • LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,716 Senior Member
    edited August 12
    I have some signs of anxiety from time to time. I tend to worry a lot, especially about the wellbeing of my children. One of my grandmothers was very anxious. She would lock herself in her bedroom for fear of intruders, worry about poisoning, both unientional and unintentional, and she thought I might get a heart attack at age 8 from riding my bike uphill. One time a skier was killed several states away and she convinced herself it was my dad. It seems a little silly, but I will sometimes catch myself carastrophizing in the middle of the night too.
  • busdriver11busdriver11 Registered User Posts: 13,834 Senior Member
    The only time I remember having an anxiety attack was a time that I was scrambling on a side of a mountain, and I just froze, I was petrified. No way to keep going, no way to go down, I was going to die either way. Don't look down! But I made a choice and kept going, there was no other option. Obviously, I didn't die. It made me wonder if that was what an anxiety attack is like, and if so, how that could completely derail someone's life.

I know, for older women, that bioidentical hormones can really help with lack of confidence, nervousness, and many other symptoms. Testosterone for women is really wonderful, stabilizing your mood, building confidence and just overall feelings of well being.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,101 Senior Member
    Sometimes, genetics determine an outcome. Other times, all they do is yield a proclivity, a possible but not predetermined result. Eg, the child of alcoholics isn't bound to be one. He or she could take a different approach, manage. Not saying it's simple.

Hugs to all of you. But there's much medical science still doesn't know. Nature vs nurture, learned vs unavoidable. Sometimes, keeping a familiar reaction, because it *is* the way we've always reacted. Eg, fearing the worst when a child is late. Sometimes, that's a rehearsal of sorts for what could be the worst. Then, some have a (good) rush when it turns out ok. And a cycle begins.

I'm also a nitpicker, when it comes to planning. Some know I agonized recently over a paint color. But I know this comes in part from having been a crisis manager and believing the first step in resolution is really prevention, in the first place. And knowing your options, if something does go awry.

The paint paralysis was knowing that, if I do choose wrong, I'm the one who has to fix it (DIY.) Me. A version of 'a stitch in time saves nine.'

I just hope some of you can go easier on yourselves. Hugs.

• pickledgingerpickledginger Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    My family and my spouse's family have a history of severe anxiety. Both of my kids have suffered from serious anxiety-related disorders (one has OCD/GAD and the other is much less impacted but has had panic attacks and mild Tourette's). I escaped anything other than mild anxiety, which responds well to yoga and that sort of thing, but my spouse has childhood-onset OCD. Thankfully, my kids and spouse have all responded incredibly well to medication. I literally am thankful every day that it is so effective for them. CBT is also helpful.

Oddly, it wasn't until I first did a family tree at the request of a psychiatrist when my oldest was 6ish that I actually realized the pervasive infiltration of anxiety-related disorders throughout both families. My kids come by it honestly!
  • Snowball CitySnowball City Registered User Posts: 1,263 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    New York Times ran a long article about teenagers and anxiety. I found it very interesting and worth reading.https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/magazine/why-are-more-american-teenagers-than-ever-suffering-from-severe-anxiety.html

I am not onboard with a statement that follows sentences on how parents cope with kids with anxiety by letting them stay in the car when running errands, accommodating food requests when kids will only eat certain foods, etc -" “So many teens have lost the ability to tolerate distress and uncertainty, and a big reason for that is the way we parent them,” Ashworth said."

I truly don't believe that the anxiety would have been nipped in the bud by not acquiescing to anxious behavior. Would it be fair to say that by the time the behavior manifests, the anxiety has already rooted?
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,908 Senior Member
    I have always had some low-level anxiety, but after Hurricane Sandy, with commutes lasting more than 3 hours in each direction for months, I developed overwhelming panic attacks and claustrophobia. It's taken a lot of work to bring that to a manageable level. This morning was a terrible commute, and I felt the beginnings of a panic attack, but was able to use techniques to get through it. I felt such power and relief from getting through that.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,140 Senior Member
    @Snowball City my roommate/best friend has bad anxiety. His family is very much a "man up!" kind of family where he was never allowed to stay in the car or reject foods.

So while not forcing kids out of their comfort zones may have something to do with it, it certainly isn't a cure.