Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Turning the Other Cheek - What to Tell Your Kids About Campus Area Protests

TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 5,303 Senior Member
Do they go to the protest marches and risk injury? Or go and hope that the marches won't turn violent?

My take is that offensive groups gain oxygen by fomenting news coverage. If they were just ignored, they'd go away and fade away. These people are a mob, mobs are irrational and irrational people cannot be reasoned with. Minds won't be changed from confronting them. Shouting in the streets at each other is stupid and just begets violence and more hatred.

The place to protest is the ballot box.

Replies to: Turning the Other Cheek - What to Tell Your Kids About Campus Area Protests

• dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,092 Senior Member
    Had they taken your advice, things in Charlotte would be different this morning.
  • yearstogoyearstogo Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    @dietz199 I guess you mean Charlottesville, not Charlotte?

@TatinG I told my son that ultimately this is a very small number of people getting exactly the publicity they want. I do not think they should be ignored but they do not deserve the coverage.
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,104 Senior Member
    What do you do? There were some counter-protesters where I was yesterday, including a woman standing by a police car holding a sign that said "Blue Lives Murder". I ignored her.

We used to ignore our kids when they were having self-indulgent tantrums, I'm inclined to do the same with most people acting out for attention.
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,092 Senior Member
    Yes....sorry,...Charlottesville....
  • yearstogoyearstogo Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    @doschicos So how many white supremacists do you think there are in the US? Clearly, even one is too many and we have more than one, but I do not think there are as many as you seem to but I would like to see your estimate and source.

I tried to find a quick estimate but only saw klan having 5k-8k on wikipedia. Presumably the overall numbers are dwindling each year.
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,104 Senior Member
    There was an article in the local paper about the Charlottesville demonstrations. After laughing out loud at one paragraph I looked to see who the reporter was, but there were multiple sources listed and I don't know who wrote it.

"“We are assembled to defend our history, our heritage and to protect our race to the last man,” Von Kotch said, wearing a protective helmet, sporting a wooden shield and a broken pool cue. “We came here to stand up for the white race.”

No crowd of sign-carrying, slogan-chanting counter-protestors could do a better job of pointing out the yawning gap between this guy's delusions and his reality than the deadpan observations of this journalist. So more acts of journalism would be welcome. Letting some of these losers speak for themselves does wonders.

Yes, losers and fools can still be dangerous, but protests and shouting matches leave me disliking both sides. Thoughtful ridicule is more my cup of tea.

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 28,625 Senior Member
    edited August 13
    I admit, I reminded my kid last year that her health insurance did not cover injuries incurred in a riot. I also sent her an article with tips to stay out of trouble if she decided to attend a protest -- like stay not far from an outer edge so she can get away if needed and not get trampled in a crowd. So I didn't tell her not to go, but we did talk about safety.

Both my kids attended marches last year in their respective cities for a couple different causes (one went with me to one of them), but the one in college stayed away from campus protests.

• threeofthreethreeofthree Registered User Posts: 932 Member
    This turned out okay at Auburn. They allowed Richard Spencer to speak because they didn't know who the speaker was - a 3rd party group booked the hall and then didn't tell the school who the speaker was until a day or so before the event. Auburn then canceled it for security reasons but then it was overturned by the courts (they knew it would be). They allowed Spencer to speak in an enclosed room with a maximum audience allowed based on the room size and take questions and answers in an orderly fashion...there was some yelling out and asking questions without standing in line but it was pretty well managed. My son was working the facility where Richard Spencer was speaking just before his event started. When his shift was over he went outside and stood among the students, most peacefully and quietly protesting the white supremacists who were bussed in from outside the area and trying to antagonize the protesters. One of the white supremacists got into a scuffle and was arrested with a bloody face...everyone disbursed and fortunately, it's been quiet on campus. I hope they don't come back to this friendly and peaceful place.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,020 Senior Member
    yearstogo wrote:
    So how many white supremacists do you think there are in the US?

Probably not many hard core ones that wear hoods and wave Nazi flags. But enough to cause a bunch of trouble.

But there are probably more less extreme ones than most people think, since most white people in the US are at least somewhat worried about white people no longer being a majority in the US in a few decades.
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 5,303 Senior Member
    The mayor asked people of good will to just go home.
This discussion has been closed.