Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Turning the Other Cheek - What to Tell Your Kids About Campus Area Protests

Replies to: Turning the Other Cheek - What to Tell Your Kids About Campus Area Protests

• yearstogoyearstogo Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    I would agree that the number of white people that want to stay a majority is probably a large number and I did see that the number of groups that can be considered as white supremacists has risen but I have not seen anything to indicate the the actual numbers of white supremacists "are not a small group of people. It is active, they are recruiting and growing"...

Perhaps I am naive but I like to think this is a problem that is dying out.
  • threeofthreethreeofthree Registered User Posts: 932 Member
    In the late 70's or early 80's there was a KKK rally in Austin. A girlfriend and I just happened to take that weekend for a 'get away" from Dallas and asked why all the police were blocking off the Capitol area. They said they were setting a safety perimiter for the KKK group rally. The only observers of the KKK rally were the KKK rally members. Everyone else was blocked out of the perimeter for the rally group's safety. I know that's probably not right, but still makes me smile. No issues that day.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 30,927 Super Moderator
    ^Huh, I lived in Austin at that time and don't recall hearing about the KKK rally! I guess it did get ignored. :)
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 5,303 Senior Member
    If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, it does not make a sound.
  • threeofthreethreeofthree Registered User Posts: 932 Member
    I know it as was after 1978 and before 1983 - didn't get much attention because nothing happened.
  • 50N40W50N40W Registered User Posts: 963 Member
    When I started college it was still fashionable to yell babykiller at people in uniform. We asked about that, and were told that part of the reason to wear that uniform is to protect the speech rights of people whose views were not ours.
    A counter protest, unless held in a different location, is an attempt to stop speech not to protect it. That is wrong.

... and will generally lead to violence. Duh.

Of course extreme speech is nasty. I am allowed to resent it. I am not allowed to shut it down (so long as it is actually legal, and most is).
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,030 Senior Member
    doschicos wrote:
    Really? Is this an actual thing with proof?

See paper referenced in
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1937241-the-us-is-expected-to-eventually-become-majority-non-white-p1.html

You can also web search for "group status threat" to find more academic studies.
  • yearstogoyearstogo Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    @doschicos Unfortunately I cannot find any evidence better than your gut feel for the increase. I don't think the rise in official groups means too much though.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,957 Senior Member
    @ucbalumnus Could be true, could not be, but I'm hesitant to hang much weight on one survey taken in 2010 cited in someone's PhD dissertation as solid proof that that is the way the majority of whites think in the here and now. Granted, I didn't read (and won't) all 260+ pages of the dissertation but instead looked at the one page you highlighted in your initial post in the other thread.
This discussion has been closed.