Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Turning the Other Cheek - What to Tell Your Kids About Campus Area Protests

1181920212224»

Replies to: Turning the Other Cheek - What to Tell Your Kids About Campus Area Protests

• MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,105 Senior Member
    edited August 16
    This is only about free speech. Now when and if it tips over into criminal behavior, all bets are off. But speech must be protected, no matter how you feel about it.
    This poster seems entirely consistent to me. Anyone can express views, vile or sublime. Screaming in someone's face can be criminal behavior if a threat is stated or implied.

Is this tangent related to whether or not we or our kids should join in public protests?

• alhalh Registered User Posts: 7,965 Senior Member
    Arguing our children should stay home could be interpreted as an attempt at silencing.

There are nine upcoming alt-right protests. Some young people are already distancing themselves from these groups after the events of the last few days. This makes me hopeful. Maybe those young people will join a counter protest instead.
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 5,303 Senior Member
    A person might think they are joining a protest againt the KKK and the neo-Nazis but I would advise that person to look around at the signs that are being carried on 'your' side too. In Charlottesville the counter-protesters were carrying signs that read 'Cops and Klan go hand in hand'. Once you see something like that, a person should know this is no peace march. Go home.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,957 Senior Member
    edited August 16

@TranquilMind Go back and read @magnetron's post #246 if you feel we are inflating things. His/her experience and thoughts mirror my own. It's not just "disaffected" losers who think this way.

"Now when and if it tips over into criminal behavior, all bets are off"

Ask Heather Heyer's family if it has tipped into criminal behavior.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,606 Senior Member
    "This poster seems entirely consistent to me. Anyone can express views, vile or sublime. Screaming in someone's face can be criminal behavior if a threat is stated or implied."

Does that include the "Blood and Soil" chant the Nazis and White Supremacists were shouting in Charlottesville?

@emilybee, it might if you walk up to me and scream it in my face.

But if you work with the local government to obtain a permit to assemble and scream whatever vile things you want to scream while surrounded by your friends and partners, then as long as you aren't specifically inciting violence you can do that. It's a pretty important right.

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,957 Senior Member
    News flash: These racist bastards did incite violence and actually carried it out in Charlottesville.
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,548 Senior Member
    Here is a story with video about a college student who is a person of color being attacked at a memorial for the woman who died at Charlottesville.

Maybe some of the pro-antifa posters here will want to comment on the nature of the people that assaulted him.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,606 Senior Member
    There are no "two sides."
    If he didn't want to be attacked he should have dressed less provocatively. Oops, wrong thread.

And I hope there are at least 2 sides. Otherwise, we're all on the same side as the racists. And let's face it, the antifa are just there for the fights. I don't want to be on their side either.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 30,927 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE: I am closing the thread because we are getting lots of reports about political posts. I know that if we take the time to wade through posts and delete several, we will then get complaints that we're not being fair. So that's why we're just closing the thread instead.
This discussion has been closed.