Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Vegas shooting, 50 dead

Replies to: Vegas shooting, 50 dead

• MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,105 Senior Member
    Again, the guns he was using cannot be legally owned by civilians. The laws are and have been in place. He got them anyway. Illegally. And used them with horrific results.
  • musicmom1215musicmom1215 Registered User Posts: 1,876 Senior Member
    I'm going to Vegas this afternoon. This is such sad news.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,910 Senior Member
    edited October 2
    But if he's your "normal" US citizen what do you do?
    Normal? While I get your gist, that is not a word I’d use associated with this person. They are now saying he had 10 weapons in the hotel room. They also are saying at some point he used his girlfriend’s ID to “check in” to the hotel.I find that highly unlikely. A year or so ago we were checking into a hotel in Vegas that was reserved by our DS#2. They would not let us check in until he was there with us.
  • lilmomlilmom Registered User Posts: 3,381 Senior Member
    As I always do, I checked my phone for the time this AM. I saw the news notification and I am so saddened and sickened by this.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 28,627 Senior Member
    I haven't seen a verifiable account of what guns he had. Not sure how you can jump to the conclusion that they were legal.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,957 Senior Member
    You can buy automatic weapons in this country.
    https://www.thegunwriter.com/14837/how-to-buy-a-machine-gun/

Semis can also be converted to automatic.
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,105 Senior Member
    From CNN. Although early reports are typically incomplete and often just wrong, this part has been fairly consistent.
    Audio of the shooting suggested that the shooter had used a military-style weapon, CNN law enforcement analyst James Gagliano said.
    Rapid-fire shots heard at Las Vegas concert

Rapid-fire shots heard at Las Vegas concert 01:55
    "Automatic weapon(s) like that -- had to be numbers of magazines or a very large drum, it sounded to me like a belt-fed weapon, a military-style weapon and then to be shooting down, to use the analogy, it was like shooting fish in a barrel in that space," Gagliano said.
    Illegal for civilians to own that kind of weapon, period.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,957 Senior Member
    edited October 2
    Nevada gun law: http://www.nevadacarry.org/

Weapon laws​ (NRS Ch. 202)
    Concealed weapon permits (CCW) are-shall issue and open carry is legal without a permit. Nevada does not ban 'assault weapons' and there is no magazine capacity limit. There are no purchase permits, gun registration, or gun-owner licensing. Blue cards are no longer required. There is no waiting period mandated for firearm purchases and private gun sales are okay. Local gun laws are prohibited. You do not have to "register" a gun to someone else.
  • lilmomlilmom Registered User Posts: 3,381 Senior Member
    Apparently, there's a proposed bill to legalize silencers for automatic guns. Not trying to turn this into a political discussion but people need to know.
  • JustGraduateJustGraduate Registered User Posts: 672 Member
    edited October 2
    He had several handguns in his room and the sheriff stated that's what he used to kill himself. Sheriff also said they could trace the purchase of the handguns which makes me think he bought them quite legally, not in an underground market.

ETA - based on NV laws above posted by @doschicos, not sure there anything that would be considered an illegal gun purchase?

NBC news talked to a relative (either brother or son I believe) and they said they are totally surprised by this, it was like being hit by an astroid. Will be interesting to see if there's a social media footprint and if it yields anything
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,910 Senior Member
    edited October 2
    Oh good grief, @lilmom . When is this country going to wake up?

As an side, I was at a large venue yesterday, seated very high up. I did consciously think tht if there was any kind of emergency situation there, we would never get out.
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 5,303 Senior Member
    I heard that people are lined up to give blood.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,606 Senior Member
    No words.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,410 Super Moderator
    edited October 2
    This seems to be the tipping point for me. I just can't concentrate on my work enough to do anything today. I am overwhelmed with sadness for what people are not only capable of doing, but DO, to one another. There are no easy answers, which makes the sadness deeper. I am fortunate not to be prone to depression, because I can't imagine how I would cope with these feelings if I was.
  • JustGraduateJustGraduate Registered User Posts: 672 Member
    @lilmom also not trying to go political but that silencer bill scares me. A Virginia Tech survivor came out against it recently saying that hearing bullets was the way he knew what was going on. It allowed him to take cover (he was in one of the spots the shooter was active) and survive.