Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Vegas shooting, 50 dead

partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 1,814 Senior Member
edited October 2 in Parent Cafe
I've tried to convince myself that in the USA we would never have to get used to mass shootings. I suppose I was being naive. My prayers go out to the victims and their families.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/storyline/las-vegas-shooting/amp/las-vegas-police-investigating-shooting-mandalay-bay-n806461

Replies to: Vegas shooting, 50 dead

• NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,135 Senior Member
    Terrifying for those there, what a nightmare. So sorry for all those families who lost someone last night.
  • partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 1,814 Senior Member
    I like concerts as well. It definitely makes you think twice.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,153 Senior Member
    edited October 2
    I woke up a few hours ago and it was 2 dead. Now this.

Disturbing beyond words. He just held the trigger and kept spraying.

64 year old (apparently) white male according to early pictures. I won't link to one because so often they are wrong and I would hate for an innocent person to be dragged through the mud.

This required planning and preparation. I'm sick over the thought but not at all surprised. I will always fear an American male with a gun way more than any other kind of terrorist.

ETA: I've been to a Jason Aldean concert. I love concerts. :(
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 1,106 Senior Member
    I am beyond sick of gun violence. Senseless. Condolences to the families. 50 dead, 200 or more injured. Why any civilian should have a machine gun is beyond me.
    Congress agrees. Nothing legal about a civilian owning an automatic weapon.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,913 Senior Member
    edited October 2
    Automatic or semi automatic. No reason for a civilian to have these, IMO. The news are referring to this as a guy schooling fish in a barrel. Horrific. Truly horrific.
  • SilpatSilpat Registered User Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    My heart goes out to the victims and their loved ones. As @jym626 said, this is truly horrific.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,988 Senior Member
    edited October 2
    Now reported that 406 people were taken to the hospital. So at least 50 dead, over 400 injured. The work of one man.

@Youdon'tsay hugs to you and your son! =((
    The numbers keep rising. What is the matter with people???
    Glad he is safe, YDS. The emotional is just as devastating.
  • JustGraduateJustGraduate Registered User Posts: 672 Member
    How do you prevent something like this from happening? If we find out he's known to have psychiatric problems, guess we can again argue that people in that category could/should be prevented from legally owning guns. But if he's your "normal" US citizen what do you do? And in this case, you can't argue that more civilians having guns could prevent tragedy - not when the shooter is 30+ floors up.
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 5,305 Senior Member
    Terrible. The hospitals must be overwhemed. S has plans to go to Vegas next weekend. Puts a real chill on even thinking of having a good time there.