Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Harvey Weinstein

Replies to: Harvey Weinstein

• VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 16,621 Senior Member
    Sexual harassment is rampant. Any industry, any age, any level in an organization. It's rampant.

Hopefully it won't be, soon.
  • stardustmomstardustmom Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    It has nothing to do with the challenge of "learning a new pronoun". If you say, "I am hiring a lawyer", gender is usually irrelevant. If you say, "I am hiring an actor", gender IS relevant because you are casting a person for a role. Saying "actress" is simpler than "female actor", unless, of course, you feel the need to make a political point. In my experience, actresses do not take offense at the word actress, understanding it is the famale form of actor. A "doctress" would take offense because that form implies that even with years of training a woman is still not a doctor.
  • ZinheadZinhead Registered User Posts: 2,548 Senior Member
    I see that Kate Winslet has condemned Weinstein. She is starring in an upcoming Woody Allen movie.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,030 Senior Member
    VeryHappy wrote:
    Sexual harassment is rampant. Any industry, any age, any level in an organization. It's rampant.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-does-a-typical-sexual-harasser-look-like-we-dont-know/ also indicates that we do not really know that much about harassers.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 5,897 Senior Member
    @zinhead -- bet Woody's head will be on the chopping block soon as well. Long time coming for that guy.
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Registered User Posts: 15,319 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    If you say, "I am hiring an actor", gender IS relevant because you are casting a person for a role.

So are a lot of things; casting is pretty specific. For example, roles are typically cast by race. Does that mean I should call Will Smith and Morgan Freeman "blactors"?
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 942 Member
    edited October 11
    The entertainment industry is still a wonderful industry. The good parts are still good. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t bad parts too. That’s true about any aspect of society. And many in the entertainment industry have also been trying to draw attention to injustices within the industry for a long time.

The Hollywood - NYC entertainment industry isn’t another country, separate from the USA. They still get to have and voice opinions about our country and the representatives in our country, even while their workplace is imperfect. If we have to have a perfect home, workplace, town, city, state etc before we are able to voice criticism over our federal government, then who exactly is left that can make those criticisms?

I find it ridiculous that there are people saying that actors shouldn’t be voicing disgust for other causes while bad things are happening in hollywood.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,957 Senior Member
    Some folks wrongly believe actors and athletes are there purely to entertain them and shouldn't be allowed to voice their concerns and exercise 1st Amendment rights.
    @Cardinal Fang If you have issue with the term actress then contact the Academy Awards. I'm sure they'll be happy to change Best Actress to Best Female Actor for you.
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Registered User Posts: 15,319 Senior Member
    It'll happen in my lifetime, stardustmom.
    I'm sure we'll see many changes in Hollywood in the coming months.
  • IgloooIglooo Registered User Posts: 7,046 Senior Member
    Don't hold your breath. There's power dynamics that may be hard to change so quickly. If choosing talents is meshable and somewhat arbitrary, it will continue in some fashion.
  • maya54maya54 Registered User Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    "Bet Woody's head will be on the chopping block soon as well. Long time coming for that guy."

I dont know His daughters accusations have been countered by his son who accuses their mother of manipulating/planting stories in her kid's head. The whole thing seems like a terribly messed up situation but isnt an employment issue and the story has been out there for years. He's now been married to Soonyi for like 20 years so even though that situation is super icky its unlikely to affect him now if he's survived this long. And Marielle Hemingway his one work related situation that we know about ( she was like 17! ) has written extensively that she firmly is of the mind that it was completely consensual and she was technically of age. If someone comes forward with stories of something non-consensual behavior than yes he'll be on the chopping block. But otherwise not sure.
  • whatisyourquestwhatisyourquest Registered User Posts: 569 Member
    edited October 12
    @Much2learn wrote:

"There have been several of these recently: Cosby, Ailes, O'Reilly, Trump, and Weinstein."

Bill Clinton is missing from your list. Was he omitted because his exploits aren't recent? Bill Cosby's abuses aren't recent either, although his trial was.

I've noticed that the media too, when discussing serial abusers in op-eds about HW, generally leave Bill Clinton out of the discussion. Hmm.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,291 Senior Member

@whatisyourquest All of the ones I listed have been in the news recently. Clinton was 20 years ago, and has probably had more tv time than all of the others combined.

The other recent one that I should have included is the Silicon Valley issues with sexual harassment. It does not have a specific face on it, but it does seem to be common.