Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

When do you get rid of your clothing?

Replies to: When do you get rid of your clothing?

• LizardlyLizardly Registered User Posts: 2,206 Senior Member
    Every few years I go through my closet and get rid of stuff in bad shape or that i am certain i will never wear again. I probably don't do it often enough. I do keep a few things I will never wear that have good memories attached to them. I just like to look at them.
  • bookmama22bookmama22 Registered User Posts: 1,990 Senior Member
    I go through my closets and drawers thoroughly at least 2x a year. I used to be more sentimental about keeping things but I have become much more ruthless year by year. I have a certain style of clothes that I wear to the office and try to stick to that. I have a pile of stuff for the trash, for the high quality thrift shop who are picky about what they will accept and you get tax donation receipt for and stuff for clothing bin. What is harder for me to get rid of are things like dressy dresses.. sometimes you keep and assume you will use, others you keep because hard to part with and I tend to want to get something new when it is special occasion anyway.
  • abasketabasket Registered User Posts: 16,501 Senior Member
    When you have a hard time parting with things that are still in "good shape" - think how wonderful it feels to be that Goodwill shopper or person gifted with used clothes for whatever reason to find/receive an item that is in GREAT condition as opposed to old wore out stuff.
  • conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 2,757 Senior Member
    I like your method @TempeMom . I think I'll try that one. I do have to say I do hold on to some shorts or pants if my weight fluctuates. It never does more than 5 to 7 lbs, but for me that's a whole pant size.
  • mom60mom60 Registered User Posts: 7,207 Senior Member
    Kajon- had that same experience. I now just give things to the thrift store.
    I'm due another closet cleaning. Where I am bad is "dress up" clothes. I don't thend to purge that section of the closet. I should because some of the stuff is 20'years old and I doubt I'd wear it again. Same with "dress" shoes.
    I also need to do a clean out of the jeans. Some of them are out of style and others have become baggy in the rear. Or some I bought and ended up not loving them. Living in Ca I don't do the switch out the seasonal clothes and my closet is fairly big which leads to bad habits.
    My oldest has been basically the same size since age 13. She has a dresser and large closet full of clothes at my house. I keep meaning to get her to purge. I don't need the closet space which is why I think I've not pushed it.
    My MIL is the worst. She has clothes from when her kids were children. Granted the grandchildren have always enjoyed taking home pieces of clothing that had belonged to their parent. The other day my oldest wore a t shirt that said It's better in the Bahamas. She picked the shirt up at her grandma house when she was in junior high. She is now 30. It had belonged to her aunt when her aunt was 17.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 2,597 Senior Member
    You might feel even better if you give your reasonable-quality used clothes to a "clothing-closet" organization, that is, one that provides free clothes to people in need.
  • GourmetmomGourmetmom Registered User Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    I'll give something in perfect condition about two years, then if not worn I give it away. Anything that's stained, pilled, etc., I get rid of immediately. I hate closet clutter. I hate to hang onto things that someone else can use before it goes out of style.

The only items I've kept indefinitely are either keepsake or truly unique designer items that someone may want someday. I have a large cedar closet, so it's not a big deal to keep those things.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 15,191 Senior Member
    I have settled into 3 years with day to day clothes...if I haven’t worn it in 3 years out it goes. I kept a couple suits but I think those will be going in next year’s purge. I, too, have trouble giving away cocktail dresses and two long formal gowns...just can’t believe I will never dress up again in my life.
  • coralbrookcoralbrook Registered User Posts: 6,501 Senior Member
    I have two categories of clothes that I cannot bring myself to get rid off. Evening clothes/fancy dresses which I will probably never ever wear again. And over 25% of my closet has been taken over with ‘costumes’ from years of dance shows. I need to clear out both these areas.

I am pretty good about going through regular items about once a year but I really need to throw out my corporate pant suits. I keep thinking I might need to go interview for a job someday. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to make a good first impression with those old things!
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    There is a donation box in the basement, where our laundry room is, and I toss things in there when I'm in the mood.

When going through clothes, I usually ask myself if I've worn it in the last year, if I'd miss it if it were to disappear, etc.

I've found I tend to grab the same favorites to wear over and over again. If something is not in rotation, it's a prime target for the donation bin.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,069 Senior Member
    My closet somewhat decides for me. If it's too packed, it's time to purge. I try to be honest with myself: do I really LIKE this? If not, odds are I haven't worn it much, and there's no reason to keep it.
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,396 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    I go through my closet twice a year. If I haven't worn something in the last year - it's out. Someone else can use it. People will happily buy donated clothing that is a few years old, but no one wants dated stuff that is 10 or 15 or 20 years old. I have kept one dress from college and one from HS. I have a few (very few) baby items my kids wore.

When I had S my in laws brought H's entire baby wardrobe! The clothing was 39 years old and had been sitting in an attic. I had to throw it all in the trash which was unfortunate because someone could have used those things years ago.
  • MarianMarian Registered User Posts: 12,484 Senior Member
    edited October 11
    I get rid of them when I ruin them -- when there's a stain that won't come out, or a sweater has a very visible snag, or there's a hole or rip in a garment that can't be fixed without having it show.

These things happen often enough that I rarely need to get rid of clothing for any other reason.

I'm something of a klutz.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,043 Senior Member
    If I haven't worn regular clothes for two years...they get donated! Or given away.

For things like special dresses, it depends. I have a silk two piece dress I haven't worn in a few years...but it's a classic...so I'm keeping it.probably will wear it to DH's office party this year.