Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

When do you get rid of your clothing?

124»

Replies to: When do you get rid of your clothing?

• conmamaconmama Registered User Posts: 2,757 Senior Member
    Thanks to you all for your thoughts. I feel better about what to purge this week!
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 2,911 Senior Member
    I wear that item that I am debating. At the end of the day, I ask myself how I felt in it. About half the time, it ends up in the give away bag. There is often a reason something isn't in circulation - fit is off, feels out of style, etc.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 12,241 Senior Member
    edited October 13
    Great idea to pull out all clothes from a drawer, dresser and/or closet and only put back the ones you actively will wear. Easy to miss stuff in corners.

Should do that routinely with all items out of site routinely. See the kitchen thread recently begun as an example.
  • Midwest67Midwest67 Registered User Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Ah, I ran across an example today of clothing I waiver on. I have a winter dress coat and a rain jacket that are rarely worn. Only if I’m dressed up, and that is not very often. If I ditch them, I’ll be pressed to buy something new, so I hang on to them.

Same with some winter outdoor clothes I only use for the rare ski trip.

I’ve had some items for YEARS. If I do ski again, I’d use them, in lieu of purchasing something new.

Those kinds of things I tend to hang on to.
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,092 Senior Member
    I have emotional attachments to clothing. There's a sweatshirt D gave me when she was accepted to her first choice university. It's now 7 years old and the zipper has been in bad shape for about the last 3 years.

I read a suggestion a while back that encourages you to take a photo of the clothing item. It will always be with you and you can conjure up the good feelings. It just takes up much less space in your photo library.
  • mom60mom60 Registered User Posts: 7,207 Senior Member
    My H is going tout of town for about 5 days. I'm going to tackle my clothes closet. I like to do those chores when I have plenty of time with a minimum of interruptions. I am going to attempt to be more brutal.
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 3,711 Senior Member
    I don't purge enough and I don't purge often enough. I am starting to think about retirement, so I'm not buying as many work clothes, and I am getting better at getting rid of things. But some things I just have trouble letting go of. I have a black wool winter coat I've had for at least 12 years. I don't think I've EVER worn it (I park in my harage, and don't have far to walk when I get to work, so I often don't wear a coat, even in winter). BUT, I may need it someday.
124»