Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Any Guesses on the New Amazon HQ?

Replies to: Any Guesses on the New Amazon HQ?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,537 Senior Member
  • planitplanit Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    Oh geez, not Atlanta. We have too many people already. I'm rooting for Detroit. Amazon could do so much good there; I would think that would be appealing.
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us Registered User Posts: 630 Member
    @LakeWashington - in post 16 you mentioned "The negative is the relatively high income inequality level in Philadelphia (true of Atlanta, also)." ~~~ i've never been to Philadelphia, and don't quite know what this means. Can you explain what that means and why it would hurt Atlanta too? I'll learn something new today. thx!
  • kiddiekiddie Registered User Posts: 2,611 Senior Member
    Doesn't Seattle have a high income inequality level - probably caused by Amazon and the other tech giants there. They pay their people high salaries while there is a large homeless impoverished sector. All big cities have this problem to some degree.

Just wanted to add that most people don't know that Amazon already has a tech office in Cambridge with hundreds of employees and growing. Another reason to go with someplace near Boston.
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,135 Senior Member
    I'd like to see it west of Boston, in that 495/128 area.
  • kiddiekiddie Registered User Posts: 2,611 Senior Member
    route 128 used to be the tech area (way before silicon valley). Intel is still there -most others moved west.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,908 Senior Member
    Amazon is already putting a mid-sized distribution facility in NYC, so I would be surprised if another site was chosen in this area.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,101 Senior Member
    Doschicos, imo, the issue west of Boston is how even big roads clog in a bad snowstorm. I've been out 495 at the worst, where it can dump fast.

But the tech savvy brains and the Boston lure are there. And plenty of housing options, shortening a commute.

My bet is this has to be a business decision, first. Not about bringing opportunity to a challenged area. A company like Amazon is primarily about highly skilled employees, as opposed to, say, a manufacturing company coming in. Or an Amazon distribution center. No offense intended. But that's why Austin and Atlanta could work. Some nice area outside Chicago. Etc. Maybe Minneapolis.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,070 Senior Member
    Montreal has put in a bid for HQ2. They actually meet all the criteria that Amazon has specified. The only problem is that they would have to operate in French.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,537 Senior Member
    Don't underestimate how much it costs a company to have all documents in both English and French/Spanish. One company I worked for had a lot of trouble, and expense, to translate all California loan documents and disclosures into Spanish. Another company I worked for had a resort in Montreal and it took forever to get contracts translated into French, all signs in both languages, all brochures. PITA.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,606 Senior Member
    Have no idea where they will choose but, IMO, it won’t be in a place where they have to worry about attracting highly educated professionals because of socially backward laws.

GE headquarters just moved to Boston and there is a reason they chose that city over ones in low tax states.
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,135 Senior Member
    I'm biased in my hopes for Boston based. We are MA residents and it would be great for D to have some options closer by. Right now she is focusing on the DC/MD area for CS/Math related careers.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,070 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    @emilybee
    GE headquarters just moved to Boston and there is a reason they chose that city over ones in low tax states
    Boston gave GE large tax breaks to woo them. So for GE Boston is a low tax location.

@twoinanddone In Montreal it is not just documents but they would have to operate on French.
  • fractalmstrfractalmstr Registered User Posts: 2,159 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    It's likely to be in a 'trendy' location, popular among young professionals. I'm going to guess Denver, Austin, or Phoenix.... and as a wildcard, Albuquerque, as that's where Bezos was born. :)

PS. I'm also going to guess the location will be in a warmer, sunnier climate, for those Amazon corporate employees who don't want to work in Seattle.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,606 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    Every state/city is going to give them massive tax breaks so that really doesn’t matter. That is a given. Good schools, a a highly educated work force to draw from and progressive state and local policies are more important to attracting and keeping highly educated employees. North Carolina would have been perfect, IMO, until they ran off the rails.

@NEPatsGirl, Boston has a thriving tech sector especially in start-ups. My son has been with a start-up in downtown Boston since January. He just got his third promotion (and it was a big one) since he started.