Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Boy Scouts accepting girls. Girl Scouts not happy.

Replies to: Boy Scouts accepting girls. Girl Scouts not happy.

• wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 12,241 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    I helped son, not my H with his- let's just say he's an excellent physician in the NONsurgical world. Still have that el cheapo hacksaw which I occasionally use. It's mom who buys materials, sets up a place where the work won't destroy an area et al. Dad did attend and was involved with parenting, it wasn't the absent parent syndrome. He had a different experience as a cub scout in urban India decades before. Son never won, but it was HIS work. Oh, the things parents do to give their children childhood experiences.

Seeing the Mormon statement quote. We ignored some of the scouting tenants regarding god instead of fighting them on principal. Morals and ethics are not religion dependent.
  • stardustmomstardustmom Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Pretty sure I stated above that Boy Scouts is not for everyone. By family activity, the scouts mean that moms and sisters are welcome to join. No one is forcing you. Our troop has had more than its share of parents who dropped their kid at the curb and drove off with no interest in who their child was spending the weekend with. If that's the kind of parent you are, at least the scouts now has youth protection training in place to make sure your child is safe. I think it's great that, through scouting, those kids had the opportunity to go on outings their parents never would have taken them on.

I never pitted the Eagle against the Gold. Don't know why you are @intparent. They are from two different organizations, and now girls have a choice which to participate in, which I think is great. I have sat on many Eagle boards. Some projects are better than others, but if the youth complete the requirements they are granted the award.

Scouts lost membership when LDS left, but LDS was the main reason homosexuals were not allowed into scouting for so many years, so now scouting can evolve without them.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 28,627 Senior Member
    So it is great that girls can get the Eagle, but still boys can't get the Gold Award. And somehow you are fine with that. Sorry, but I still think your comments snub the Gold Award.
  • stardustmomstardustmom Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Then your issue is with the Girl Scouts.

I never even mentioned the Gold Award!
  • maya54maya54 Registered User Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    Our family would still be excluded from Boy Scouts. We are atheists and won't pretend otherwise. DH was an Eagle Scout, his parents told him to lie about their non- religious beliefs. He still feels queasy about the whole thing. Would never have let our kids do that.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 12,241 Senior Member
    Kids most often do not get to choose to abstain from "family" activities. They center around the scouts, not giving equal fun to siblings. When I was a kid scouting was mainstream but there seem to be more options now- especially with computers for information on so much.
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 477 Member
    If people want the Eagle opportunity for girls then why not ask Girl Scouts to change and make their Star award comparable? If girls want some of the Boy Scout activities, Boy Scouts has Venturing groups for that.

My son is an Eagle and I can say this is a sad day for BSA. Just like families choose single sex education for the benefits, we feel that way about Boy Scouts. As my son was journeying through Boy Scouts during his adolescence (I'd say especially middle school all the way through 10th grade), it would not have been as fantastic if girls were part of the experience. As my son was growing up and going through all those changes having his Boy Scout experience where he was with "just the guys" learning skills, growing up, forming bonds, learning and experimenting with leadership, it was the single sex experience that made it invaluable.

If people think its important for Boy Scouts to go co-ed, then I guess its time to end all single-sex schools, fraternities, sororities, clubs etc. The worst of its is that BSA gave their members and Eagles no vote in this.

If people wanted a compromise they could have given Troops the option to decide for themselves if they wanted to be co-ed or not. I would imagine then there would be some all boy Troops/packs.
  • hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    If the Boy Scouts start broadly accepting girls, should the organization change its name? If so, to what?
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,396 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    Both of my kids (D and S) were in scouting through 5th grade. Both left to pursue other activities. D's experience in Girl Scouts was a mix of camping/outdoorsy stuff and more "girly" stuff. To be honest , while she is active and played sports at that time the outdoors stuff did not really appeal to her. Just not her thing.

Two of D's best friends stayed in scouting and got the Gold Award. Unlike Eagle Scout, most people here had no idea what that was and did not seem to regard it as highly which ois very unfortunate.
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 942 Member
    Neither of my girls were involved in any type of scouting so my opinion is probably unimportant. I find it interesting that Boy Scouts have changed it and kind of ridiculous that Girl Scouts are so upset. Even if my girls had been interested in scouting, even if Boy Scouts were allowing girls when they were younger, they wouldn’t have wanted to be in something so clearly for boys that it was labeled as such. Additionally, while they liked activities that were a balance of boys and girls, they would have been miserable in an activity dominated by boys. In their experiences, when boys were the majority in activities they tried to participate in, the boys would be overly aggressive and/or discount the girls. It just wouldn’t have been fun for them. But since there are girls that wouldn’t have minded the labeling or being the minority group in scouting, then Insee it as a positive that girls can join Boy Scouts.
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 1,564 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    I'm against it. When I was in Boy Scouts, there was a lot of backpacking: hiking 10 miles a day with a 50 pound pack and going several days without a shower. Would most girls be physically able to do that? Would they want that experience? If you had too many girls, or perhaps in an end state merged boy and girl scouts, boy scouts would eventually change to something with fewer traditional "boy activities". It seems like dealing with mixed gender hormonal immature teenagers on overnight camping trips would be a chaperoning nightmare for the adult leaders, on a number of levels.
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,135 Senior Member
    I was a co-leader for Seniors and Ambassadors for four years while my D was in high school. She earned her Gold Award. By this stage we were down to only 6 girls and we had to pull them from three different towns. We did have a couple of girls who dropped out almost immediately after hearing our plans to continue on with the prior leaders' focus on outdoor activities, survival skills, and community engagement. They weren't looking to recycle the town bottles and cans to earn money one Sunday morning each month (btw, we earned upwards to $1000 each time for 3 hours work). They didn't embrace the once monthly mentoring of the local Brownie troops. They disliked that the girls had to do all the planning, purchasing, cooking and cleaning for our 3-4 camping trips each year.

The girls who stayed had a fantastic last couple of years. We went to a dude ranch, skiing (cabin camping), made and sold gingerbread house kits each Christmas, joined in Veterans Day marches and services, held joint tea and scone afternoons at the senior center, babysat on Friday nights at the community center for donations only, went to Boston at least once a year to see an show, rough camped several times a year where the girls learned to build wine box ovens and cook over the open fire. They ended their girl scouts years with a 10-day trip to London, staying at a famous girl scout hall there.

No, we didn't like to sell the darn cookies and only did what was required by council. We were able to make enough money for the troop in other ways and dues were not necessary for the most part. Any time there was an expense, we made sure there were ways for each scout to earn the money so it didn't cost the family (if the effort was put in).

As for the Gold Award, it is actually much more difficult to earn than the Eagle Scout. The requirements are tougher in that it is built on past achievement of the Bronze and Silver Awards and that the project must be sustainable. It took my daughter nearly a year to complete her project. She did a co-project with another girl scout for their Silver Award and that took nearly 6 months. I wish I could say I thought it helped with admissions but I didn't see that. Unfortunate because like a varsity sport, she was committed to many hours each week.

My son was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout. I found their leader(s) and activities boring, as did he. I made suggestions about local activities including netting, cleaning and cooking herring, learning to sail, building dog houses, that sort of thing...no one was interested. They never went camping, never learned to tie knots. He bailed when they refused to let me help lead.
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,135 Senior Member
    Forgot to mention, I am against mixed gender scouting. There were many badges in freshman year that dealt with female-only subjects, things that boys don't need to know or wouldn't want to know lol (think hygiene, dating "rules", that sort of thing). I think some mixing during the year would be good for both organizations and we did that for parades and other community activities but they don't need to be camping together or hiking together for weekend trips. It just complicates everything.
  • scout59scout59 Registered User Posts: 3,118 Senior Member
    You do know that there will not be co-ed Scout dens, right? I hear lots of complaints (not necessarily here...) about co-ed camping trips and "watering down" Boy Scout activities.
    Starting next year, young girls can join Cub Scout units, known as dens. Local scouting organizations can choose to have dens for girls and dens for boys. "Cub Scout dens will be single-gender — all boys or all girls," the organization said in a statement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/boy-scouts-will-admit-girls-allow-them-earn-eagle-scout-n809836
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 942 Member
    edited October 12
    Female only subjects? Are the girls scouts teaching girls to use tampons, pads or bras? I can’t think of any other female only subjects.
This discussion has been closed.