Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Boy Scouts accepting girls. Girl Scouts not happy.

Replies to: Boy Scouts accepting girls. Girl Scouts not happy.

• maya54maya54 Registered User Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    Our school would not allow the Boy Scouts to have meetings first because they excluded gay youth and then when that changed because they still refused to allow atheists to join. The churches that had Boy Scout troops disbanded after the Boy Scouts allowed gay youth to join. They really are hurting for members here.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,606 Senior Member
    My district also kicked them out at the same time I pulled S out. (iirc, 2000/2001)
  • momocarlymomocarly Registered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
    I was a GS leader for awhile and had a son in BS. My daughter got bored with GS in 4th grade and quit. She was always saying she wished she could be a boy scout because they did more things she was interested in (very outdoorsy girl). I think each has advantages for different children. I'm glad girls have another option! I honestly think this might have changed my daughter and kept her on a more positive path!
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 421 Member
    I am afraid this will be the decline of girl scouts, which my girls enjoyed. I understand the decision, but am very sorry to hear it. I'm not sure my girls would have joined yet another youth organization dominated by boys.
  • fractalmstrfractalmstr Registered User Posts: 2,159 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    Personally, I think they need to merge the two gender-specific scouts together and form one "Scouts" program. No reason why girls can't learn to make soap box cars, bird houses, whittle wooden spears, and go on camping trips. And if parents insisted that their girls be raised doing "girl" things, they could easily designate optional gender specific tracks for those cases.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,908 Senior Member
    Well they are two distinct organizations, each with its own management, history, and goals.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 1,886 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    @fractalmstr That is what they are doing. They are becoming like the world scouts. Like troops in the UK and elsewhere. They didn't do it earlier because the girl scouts were not happy. Clearly the Boy Scouts have made a business decision to go that way (like coed world scouts) when they lifted the ban on gay scouts. That likely alienated 20% of the scouting community which is LDS.

Now that they are coed, maybe we should discuss coed bathrooms. ;-)
    Our district had an unofficial don't enforce policy with gay scouts (which was against the National official). No one was removed. When a scout working as summer camp councilor came out very publicly as gay, they did ask him to leave. The entire camp staff said they would quit if they fired him and the matter was dropped.

When they were changing the policies, Charter Representatives (people who represent the troop sponsor) had to be interviewed. I am one of those. I said a scouts's sex life is not part of the scouting mission so it isn't relevant to membership. They said that was district's opinion also. National made a calculation by polling charter organization and decided to sacrifice the 20% resistance to make the change but this progress (evolution towards world scouts) also comes at a cost to girl scouts.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,606 Senior Member
    They wouidn’t be physically able too.?!?

My son went to sleepaway camp (all boys - girls were on the other side of the lake) but both had the same activities! All went hiking (in the Adirondacks so not nice little easy hills to climb,) days long canoe trips, same type ropes courses, etc.

The kids came back year after year so they obviously wanted to do these things or they would have gone to a different kind of camp.
  • lololulololu Registered User Posts: 1,400 Senior Member
    "No reason why girls can't learn to make soap box cars, bird houses, whittle wooden spears, and go on camping trips. And if parents insisted that their girls be raised doing "girl" things, they could easily designate optional gender specific tracks for those cases."

Whoa! Nelly! Why is the assumption that if the two merged the "BOY" things would take precedent? How about if boys learn to cook, learn about personal hygiene, babysit at the community center? And who says making soap box cars and camping are "boy things'?
    ^My boys cook. They have plenty of role models for that. Grandfather, uncles who did/do the cooking for the family as the main cook. My oldest also took babysitting classes and danced for ten years. He's also an Eagle Scout and brown belt for martial arts.

We have boys who can't do the hard core hiking. Depends on the child.

One last thing about the LBGTQ issue. You cannot legislate kindness. So areas who were never discriminatory reaming the same but places which stronger resisted, while National policy allows inclusion, they can't force inclusion with kindness. And meanness can be subtle.
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,805 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    My son is an Eagle Scout, and we've discussed this a lot. He has mixed feelings--he went to a World Jamboree, and observed firsthand that most Scouting worldwide is co-ed, and works just fine. On the other hand, he did value some of the male bonding experience--and in particular bonding with positive male role models. I haven't talked with him since this news came out, but I think he'll be fine with it. We were all in favor of the policy change on gay youth and leaders, which I don't think would have happened without a lot of pressure from within the organization.

The current predicament of the Girl Scouts reminds me a bit of historically black fraternities and sororities--what do you do when the organization that excluded you wants to change its rules and accept you? As others have suggested, I don't think Girl Scouting has a clear identity--is it about "girly" indoor stuff, or about outdoorsy stuff? It appears that it depends on the unit. That's also true for Boy Scouts, but probably less so. Of course, everybody knows about the cookies--they are certainly better than Boy Scout popcorn. Can Girl Scouting create enough of a separate identity that it can survive after BSA becomes co-ed? (Note: whatever the differences are between Eagle Rank and the Gold Award, I think it's clear that Eagle has better PR.)

So BSA has changed its policies on two of the three Gs--Gays and Girls. The last one is God. This one is a bit harder to explain. BSA requires members to have some kind of religion--it doesn't matter which one, or how organized it is. The Scout simply has to be able to show "duty to God" and "reverence" in some way. In essence, BSA is a completely non-sectarian religious organization. I'm not sure if there are other examples of such a thing. It's the non-sectarian nature of this that actually creates the criticism--nobody would criticize the Luther League (if that still exists) for requiring its members to be Lutherans. It's the fact that BSA admits almost everybody--essentially excluding only atheists--that is the problem. This may change, too--honestly, I thought it would change before they'd let girls in.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,069 Senior Member
    @intparent I also appreciated how inclusive GS is... my daughter belonged to a troop with two leaders, one of them a gay mom. To say this was not an issue is an understatement. The general opinion of GS inclusivity was a boon at cookie time: we'd set up our tables at a grocery store in a neighborhood where a lot of gay people lived and sales were through the roof. It was the residents' way of supporting an organization that dealt with homophobia in a most open-minded way. We had two girls get their Gold Award, my daughter stopped at whatever was just below it. In their junior year in high school (yes, the troop lasted that long) they had earned enough money for a cruise to the Bahamas. Yes, some eyerolling greeted that decision, but it was their decision and that's what they did.

I almost think that BS decision to allow girls is a measure to prop up the Boys Scout as an organization, an organization that hasn't adapted well to 21st century mentality. I can't think that it will do anything positive for GS...
This discussion has been closed.