Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Tempurpedic? Casper? Purple? Any Reviiews?

poetsheartpoetsheart Registered User Posts: 5,476 Senior Member
It’s time to replace our old traditional mattress/box spring and foam topper. I’m leaning toward a memory foam type mattress. Not interested in any bed that requires electricity or is remote adjustable, so the Sleep Number bed isn’t in the running. We just want a firm (but not hard) support material that nevertheless adjusts to our bodies. Also, do they still make latex mattresses? The most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept on was a latex one, but I understand they weigh even more than a Tempurpedic. Those mattresses that come in a box, and expand exponentially as they’re unpacked look intriguing, but it’s hard to believe they’re any good. If anyone has experience with any of the foam beds, please tell me what you think of them. Thanks.

Replies to: Tempurpedic? Casper? Purple? Any Reviiews?

• doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,053 Senior Member
    Just went mattress shopping this past weekend. I'm not a fan of memory foam so skipped those, although they have a lot of coil/foam hybrids these days that are comfortable.

We like firm mattress but not hard as well and a lot of the mattresses we gravitated towards were in a category that were considered "comfort firm", at least at the store we shopped at. Firm support but with a cushiony top that had a little give.

We went to two different stores. The first, purely a mattress store and a national chain, didn't offer latex, the second, large furniture store with a strong mattress department, had better prices and a broader product line. They had tons of latex, which I think is desirable by many for its natural nature. The latex section of the floor was very busy with customers so they must be selling well.

We wound up deciding between a lower to mid-priced hybrid and more expensive all-natural mattress. Chose the all natural as it seemed super comfy and had great warranty. Hope we like it. We can exchange it within 60 days if it doesn't work out.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 1,289 Senior Member
    https://www.flobeds.com/
    Really like this stuff. My DH ordered it.
  • GTalumGTalum Registered User Posts: 2,651 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    We have a Helix. It's same concept as Casper and online purchase but each side is customizable. My second choice at the time was an all latex at Brookland betting. My Helix is super comfy. I wish we had more choices for latex mattresses we can try at the store. I think West Elm has Casper on display and feels similar to mine but mine seems a bit bouncier.
  • CheeringsectionCheeringsection Registered User Posts: 1,845 Senior Member
    Anyone able to comment on if these mattresses are warmer to sleep on than a conventional mattress? I see the ads saying they are now "cooler" than they used to be.
  • IBviolamomIBviolamom Registered User Posts: 258 Junior Member
    edited October 12
    I have a Simmons memory foam mattress that's probably about 8-10 years old. It was much firmer than the Tempurpeducs (at the time), which seemed to sort of swallow you up. But to address the temperature factor that @Cheeringsection brought up, yes, I have found it tends to hold your body heat and radiate it back yo you. I do wake up overly warm sometimes as a result. It seems most companies have addressed this issue with their newer versions. One thing to know is that a fairly common complaint is that memory foam mattresses have a lot of give and don't spring back like coil mattresses, so they don't always offer the right resistance for - TMI alert - other activities.
  • WellspringWellspring Registered User Posts: 997 Member
    We got an Ikea memory foam mattress about six months ago. It is by far the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. You don't sink into it but every part of your body is supported. I run hot but have had no problems with the mattress making me hotter. It was inexpensive and I can't imagine how it could be better no matter how much more you spend.
  • dietz199dietz199 Registered User Posts: 3,099 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    We replaced our old standard mattress with a latex bed. This particular one is custom made by a small local shop - ironically it's very affordable compared to the larger providers.

LOVE this bed. Latex doesn't make you run hot like traditional memory foam. You don't sink link memory foam but rather 'bounce back' after the compression. One of the higher end companies in our area does a great demo of the difference between memory foam and latex. If you drop a golf ball into a tube filled with memory foam it sinks into the material. The same golf ball dropped onto latex will momentarily 'sink' and then bounce back while still leaving a slight depression supporting the contour of the ball. Latex alleviates pressure spots and can be customized to be anywhere from soft to super firm.

We also have latex pillow which we love.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,036 Senior Member
    We replaced our 16 yr old Tempur with another Tempur. Why try anything else if the first one served us well? Bought it at Costco as a holiday gift for ourselves. I added a sheepskin mattress pad (also from Costco) - it is like sleeping on a cloud.
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 3,713 Senior Member
    We bought a Tempurpedic about a year ago, and I've been really happy with it. It's one that has a "cooling" feature. I can't remember what it's called, but I know it has a green label if that helps. I am on vacation so I can't look today, but if you want to know exact model PM me and I will check. We lucked out and saved $1,000 because a particular store was discontinuing that particular model. I found some mattress stores will negotiate prices significantly, but there was no negotiation on Tempurpedics.
  • traveler98traveler98 Registered User Posts: 788 Member
    edited October 12
    We have had Tempur Pedic mattresses for several years and love them. Recently we rented an apartment in the city close to H's office, kind of a "crash pad" where he stays a few nights during the work week and where we can stay together if we're having a date night in the city. For the apartment we didn't want to go as pricy as Tempur Pedic so we decided to try the online route. First up was Purple, which I liked but H hated; he has back problems and the Purple exacerbated them. Customer service for the Purple refund was awesome though, so no regrets about trying it out. Next we tried the Saatva Loom & Leaf memory foam mattress and we both found it to be just as good as our Tempur Pedic for a quarter of the price. Saatva also offers a fantastic refund policy so if you don't like it you'll get all but the $100 delivery fee back. I won't buy Tempur Pedic anymore...Saatva Loom & Leaf is it for me!
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,139 Senior Member
    Might be a silly question but....do you still need a boxspring with the memory foam mattresses?
  • woodlandsmomwoodlandsmom Registered User Posts: 340 Member
    We just got a sleep number bed and had to give it back as it was terrible. The next bed we got was a Tempurpedic and it has been good. I would suggest not getting the firm one because it is really firm. But, it has settled and has been very comfortable. We had never had one before. we do have something beneath the tempurpedic but not sure if its a box spring.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,779 Senior Member
    edited October 12
    I spent about eight weeks researching online-only mattress sellers. I wanted to spend about $1000.

I believe nearly all the mattress sites are bunk. They are all paid to test mattresses. Rarely does any mattress get less than glowing reviews. The only review site I think is pretty honest is Sleep Like the Dead, because they compile actual customer ratings and use research. However, they don't cover all mattresses.

The first mattress we ordered was Nectar in June. We ordered the "special promo" with free pillows, guaranteed delivery in two weeks. That was total bs, as it was a gimmick to get orders. No delivery date was in sight. Cancelled order. The next mattress, based on a LOT of research, was the Pangea Copper. Like sleeping on bricks. Returned. The latest mattress, and determined to get a GOOD, comfortable one, was the Nest Alexander, medium. More bricks, despite better cushioning. Return in process. Going back to old-fashioned mattress stores.
  • traveler98traveler98 Registered User Posts: 788 Member
    @NEPatsGirl, no, a box spring isn't required for memory foam mattresses. However if you go without a box spring you must have a proper platform under the mattress, i.e. you can't just put the mattress on your "regular" bed frame. My Saatva rests on a metal platform frame with a grid pattern and the gap is less than 3 inches between slats. I think some memory foam mattress warranties specify that inadequate mattress foundation can void the warranty.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,036 Senior Member
    A firm platform will do, however... There is a huge difference in how the Tempur feels on a regular flat platform compared to their box spring. I had no idea we would notice. We used the box spring for staging in the old house and moved the mattress into the new house so we would have something to sleep on. Slept on it on the floor. Recently, we moved the springs, which by design of our bed go directly on the same floor, and oh wow. Feels like a whole new mattress.