Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Songs needed for slideshow for son's award

Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,535Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2006 in Parent Cafe
My son passed his Eagle Scout Board of Review. He is officially an Eagle Scout! YYAAAAAAYYYY!!

His troop is doing the awards ceremony (officially called a Court of Honor) in December. There will be 2 or 3 other boys (depending if one boy gets his stuff together in time) getting their Eagle ranks at the same ceremony.

At Eagle ceremonies, our troop always puts together a slideshoe/montage of pictures from throughout the boys' years in Scouting, going back to 1st or 2nd grade and Tiger & Cub Scouts; along with a few pictures from their lives outside Scouts.

The troop asked me for some of my son's favorite songs to use along with these pictures. Well, my son's taste runs towards classic rock (Aerosmith, Zepplin, Stones), a bit of alt rock and some jazz. I was only able to come up with two songs:

Good Riddance/Time of Your Life - Green Day
Times Like These (acoustic version) - Foo Fighters
My husband also suggested "I Believe I Can Fly" from Space Jam.

Berurah and others had a great discussion on lyrics going on the Parent Cafe. Can anyone suggest more songs that might be appropriate for this montage that won't make my son gag? Not too loud/rock/guitarish (the grandparents in attendance factor), and not too sappy (the teenage boy factor).
Post edited by Lafalum84 on

Replies to: Songs needed for slideshow for son's award

• driverdriver Posts: 4,148- Senior Member
    I'm sure Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle" must have been done to death by now? If not....
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,535Registered User Senior Member
    Actually I don't think it has been done and it's a good suggestion, I'll pass it along to the troop's "montage-guy." (I knew I could count on CC to give me some suggestions!)

Mostly the songs and pictures are a retrospective of the boys' growing up and have more of a graduation-ish theme, though, especially since 3 of the boys are Seniors.
  • NJresNJres Posts: 5,284Registered User Senior Member
    Well, if Dad can suggest, "I believe I can fly" then we fear not our suggestions being corny! But, are "Eagles" songs too corny? I have always liked, "Take it to the Limit." Seems appropriate, no?

(Just checked the actual lyrics... maybe not so appropriate! good song anyway)
  • audiophileaudiophile Posts: 2,389Registered User Senior Member
    Congrats on your son's great accomplishment!

It's very cliche', but how about "The Future's so Bright, I gotta to Wear Shades" by Timbuk3 or Eye of the Tiger from Rocky?
    Lenny Kravitz "Fly Away"
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,809Registered User Senior Member
    I think the Steve Miller song would be great

Eye of the tiger is always appro :)
    although I admit my daughters school uses it more to motivate for finals
  • Rick TylerRick Tyler Posts: 496Registered User Member
    We played "Keeping the Faith" by Mary Chapin Carpenter as one of the two songs on my son's Eagle Scout COH montage. The other was "Theme From Local Hero" by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits.

Congratulations, by the way. I don't know if most non-Scouting families realize how long it takes and how much dedication is involved. My son [brag alert] just earned his Silver Palm.
  • curiousercuriouser Posts: 1,341Registered User Senior Member
    I do--my S got his Eagle after years of nagging! It IS a major accomplishment and the ceremony itself was an emotional highlight for the entire family. I don't think most of these boys really understand how important it will be to them longer term. Makes me weepy all over again just thinking about it.

Congrats, Lafalum to your son AND to you for supporting him in his efforts!
  • berurahberurah Posts: 4,560- Senior Member
    Lafalum84~

[size=+2]CONGRATULATIONS to your son on being made an EAGLE SCOUT!!!!![/size]
    What a wonderfully proud moment for you all! :)

Now, lemme go and think about a good song, though I like driver's suggestion!

~berurah
  • MotherdearMotherdear Posts: 1,289Registered User Senior Member
    Congrats to the OP's son! This family has a Gold Award Girl Scout and a 7th grader who just earned his Star Rank in September and has his eye on his Eagle for the future! We know what the Eagle and Gold Award represent and are extremely excited for Lafalum's Eagle Son. I would suggest throwing in a patriotic song or two.
  • momrathmomrath Posts: 4,861Registered User Senior Member
    Lafalum, From another Eagle parent, CONGRATULATIONS! Achieving Eagle is an honor and accomplishment that will serve him for the rest of his life. At the an info session of a top university, the admissions director said that Eagle was the PERFECT EC. It shows leadership, progression, initiative, character, you name it.

Does your son like oldies -- Beatles, Rolling Stones, Who, Cream? There are so many songs from the 60's and 70's that the whole room would relate to. Like Little Help from my Friends, My Generation, Get Offa My Cloud, Simply the Best, I Feel Free.

I also like Dylan's Things Have Changed.
    Per momrath: Cream--"I'm So Glad"
  • ABlestMomABlestMom Posts: 598Registered User Member
    Hardly classic rock, but at the Eagle Scout award dinners my DD has sung at, they always request "God Bless the USA" and "God Bless America".
  • Just_BrowsingJust_Browsing Posts: 661Registered User Member
    In My Life by the Beatles comes to mind...
  • Rick TylerRick Tyler Posts: 496Registered User Member
    Makes me weepy all over again just thinking about it.[\quote]

I've been an Assistant Scoutmaster for over six years (always the bridesmaid -- it's been my fortune to work for good, long-lived Scoutmasters). When I got up to thank the adults in John's life for helping him on the Eagle trail I teared up. John looked at me like I was losing my mind. Sometimes the utes just don't get it...