Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Memphis Recommendations?

boysx3boysx3 Posts: 5,160Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2006 in Parent Cafe
My son's U-16 soccer team is going to be playing at the Germantown Showcase in Memphis this weekend. Does anyone have any good suggestions for things to do/places to eat?

We don't have much downtime while we are there. We will be driving to Memphis all day Friday and get in (we hope) before dinner. There will be a team meeting at about 10 pm. We have games on Saturday (midafternoon) and early Saturday evening. Our Sunday schedule depends on the results of our games on Saturday. I wish we had earlier games on Saturday, but that's the luck of our draw.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by boysx3 on

Replies to: Memphis Recommendations?

• patsmompatsmom Posts: 3,089Registered User Senior Member
    The ribs at the Blues Cafe are to die for (thanks to Curmudgeon for recommending it when we visited Rhodes) :)
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 12,109Registered User Senior Member
    Blues City Cafe does ribs right. Rendezvous has its serious fans. Cangel has a great place I keep meaning to try (but the name escapes me. Shorty's , Pokey's, something).

Bikes on Beale is an every week impromptu motorcycle show. Heck just walking along Beale any night would be fun for a bunch of teenagers. Lots of blues spilling out in the street, lots of rock and roll everywhere. Lots of cops. It's safe enough. Great civil rights museum, of course Graceland. And gee, I think I'll mention that the little LAC there, Rhodes I think it's called, well their campus may be the prettiest around. ;)
  • TookieTookie Posts: 601Registered User Junior Member
    Have you ever visited Graceland? My D and I went back in October and saw everything in about an hour or so. We enjoyed it immensely. If you are interested, they have a website for more information. We went on a weekday so it might be more crowded on a weekend.
  • fpfanfpfan Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    Riverwalk (I think that's what it is called) is cool. Also there's a civil war battlefield about an hour west.
  • momboysmomboys Posts: 34Registered User New Member
    In addition to the suggestions above:
    The best ribs in town (and the ones I believe Cangel was recommending) are at Corky's. These are actual Memphis ribs. There are 3, but the most convenient for you would be the one on Germantown Parkway or the one in Collierville (next suburb east of Germantown).

The Rendezvous is in an alley downtown across the street from the Peabody Hotel (and a couple of blocks from Beale Street). Famous for ribs, barbecue and atmosphere. Be prepared to wait on the weekend. That will give you time to see the ducks at the Peabody. They are on display during the day, with the duck walk at 11 and 5. The roof should be visited as you can get a great view of Memphis. A party scene from "The Firm" was filmed on the roof.

Even if you're not an Elvis fanatic Graceland should be seen once, especially with the Christmas decorations. If you can, go in the late afternoon to take the tour, then see the lights. http://www.elvis.com/

The Grizzlies have a home game Saturday.

If you have young children that will need entertaining consider The Children's Museum of Memphis. http://www.cmom.com/
    Everyone will enjoy the Pink Palace Museum. The holiday decorations are great and there's an Imax, planetarium and dinosaur stuff. http://www.memphismuseums.org/museum.htm

And the zoo (while pricey) is wonderful. (If you have a zoo membership in your hometown, they do have some type of reciprocity agreement with a lot of other zoos for tickets.) Don't miss the polar bears in a natural habitat, three baby bengal tigers, and a new-born giraffe. Check the website to make sure the babies will be on display while you're there. The zoo opens at 9 a.m. so you could visit before your Saturday game. Or visit at night for the holiday lights. http://www.memphiszoo.org/

The Riverwalk is on Mud Island. In the summer you can wade in it. http://www.mudisland.com/riverwalk.asp

Sun Studios http://www.sunstudio.com/index.aspx?bhcp=1
    Stax Soul Music Museum http://www.soulsvilleusa.com/.

Rhodes is beautiful and the library is worth a trip.

There are also art museums and a nature center.
    Corky's!! That's it. Hey, I was sort of close. Actual Memphis ribs, is this the famous dry /wet argument again? I hear people have died over this one. ;)

As to that library at the small liberal arts college ( Rhodes did you say?), my D says that when she's in it she feels "kind of guilty" because it is so nice. So much nicer than it had to be. Just stinkin' awesome or phrases similar to that.
  • SplashMomSplashMom Posts: 1,916Registered User Senior Member
    As a Tennessean who has visited Memphis on several occasions, I highly recommend Blues City Cafe on Beale Street (at the corner of 2nd, I think). The Rendezvous is very popular but, IMO, very overrated. We had looked so forward to going there because of everything we had heard, and when we left after our meal, we were all disappointed. Corky's is a franchise bbq joint, so you can get that in a lot of other areas. I would stick with something local and I don't think you'll be disapointed in Blues City Cafe.

The last time we were in Memphis, our DD met up with some of her old Governor's School buddies and ran around Memphis while DH and I bounced from establishment to establishment on Beale Street, sampling the live music and the drinks along the way. Fortuntely, our hotel was close by, so we just walked back to our room at the end of the night.

The Rhodes campus is absolutely beautiful ... lots of gothic-looking buildings and a beautiful new library. The Memphis Zoo is nice, so you might want to visit there if the weather is nice.

We have family friends who will be going to a championship game this weekend, too. Good luck to your son's team. Go Ravenwood!
  • HannaHanna Posts: 11,484Registered User Senior Member
    "The best ribs in town (and the ones I believe Cangel was recommending) are at Corky's."

Amen! This has got to be your first stop.
    Hot diggity!! We have us a rib feud! Now for the OP to come back and be willing to sample all 3 over the weekend and give us their winner. Blues City, Blues City, Blues City. RAH!
    Curmudgeon, that's "Hot Piggity!"

I agree that Blues City has great food and ribs. I think Corky's wins for me due to the "first love" syndrome.

And Splashmom, I agree about the Rendezvous. It's just such an institution.
  • boysx3boysx3 Posts: 5,160Registered User Senior Member
    I hope we have time to sample all the ribs recommended (that would mean we made it to the championship round late on Sunday and would stay an extra night because it would be too late to drive back) !!

But could someone explain to me the difference between wet and dry?
    Here ya go - wet vs. dry: http://www.memphismagazine.com/gyrobase/Magazine/Content?oid=oid%3A18704

Wet is with sauce, dry is rubbed with spices. My family is evenly divided so we always have to order (or cook) twice as many.
  • bagoshellsbagoshells Posts: 124Registered User Junior Member
    If you're interested in ribs, you might also try the Germantown Commissary, which is close to where you"ll be. There is a small chain called Huey's which kids like (look for the toothpicks in the ceilings), the closest of which is at Poplar and Houston Levee.

If you haven't been to the Mike Rose Soccer Complex before, be prepared to be very impressed. My daughter played for the Fury and those were her home fields. The tournament has some pretty competitive teams and a fair number of college coaches.

Have fun.
  • SplashMomSplashMom Posts: 1,916Registered User Senior Member
    If you were coming to Franklin, Tennessee, I would have have my DH grill some ribs for you. Since you won't be coming this way, I will share my rib-cooking experience with y'all. I'm not kidding when I say I've never tasted better ribs than the ones my husband cooks. A friend of ours supplies us with a rub made by another friend who wants to open a restaurant and won't divulge the ingredients of the rub recipe, but you can find recipes online.

One of the secrets to grilling your own ribs is to tear off that fine clear membrane that covers the ribs and then rub them down well on both sides. Place them in a large plastic bag (we use a trash can liner because we usually grill 10-12 racks at a time) and place in the refrigerator overnight ... this gives the rub plenty of time to season the ribs. The next day, remove the ribs from the plastic bag and wrap them (individually) in aluminum foil making sure not to puncture the foil. Place them in a rib rack (or just lay them on their sides snuggled up closely to one another) and slow cook them on the grill (about 250 degrees) for five to six hours, using indirect heat. If you want wet ribs, remove the ribs from the foil when they have finished cooking, slap them directly on the grill and slop on some of your favorite bbq sauce ... we love Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce. When DD graduated from high school, lots of family members came to town and we grilled the night before graduation. Twenty-two racks of ribs were snapped up and people were begging for more. There wasn't a bite of meat left on any of the bones.

My nephews are coming to town this weekend ... we're taking them to watch my Titans beat their Colts ... hey, stop laughing! It might be a good time to pop some ribs on the grill! I can almost taste them now! Get to grilling, folks!
  • cangelcangel Posts: 4,127Registered User Senior Member
    People in the South get testy when you start talking barbecue (ribs especially, those rib eaters are true iconoclasts... or curmudgeons? ;)).
    Corky's is the place I like, but for the barbecue, I'm not a big rib fan.