Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Clean dorms/Filthy dorms - Name names!

weenieweenie Posts: 5,793Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2006 in Parent Cafe
I was just browsing a forum on the Worcester Polytech site and noticed a mom complaining about how dirty her kid's dorm was. It sort of bugs me, because while I think kids need to be responsible for their messes, I also think that when you have 100 kids living in the same building, well, you've got to have good custodial services! That's just the reality of it.

Then I read someplace else that at Rose-Hulman the custodial staff actually vacuum the kids' rooms. That may be overboard.

My son's dorms at Denison are not fancy (at all - ha). But they are quite clean! (Not his room, of course, but the common areas.)

I think kids treat places with more respect if they are cleaned on a regular basis.
Post edited by weenie on

Replies to: Clean dorms/Filthy dorms - Name names!

• MomOFourMomOFour Posts: 538Registered User Member
    Back in the day, my dorm had cleaning ladies who would vacuum our rooms and empty the wastebaskets. They also kept the bathrooms spotless and cleaned the pantries on each floor. Maintenance issues were also taken care of very quickly. It would seem worth it for an institution to assure their property is kept up, as well as preventing vermin infestation.
  • maritemarite Posts: 21,586Registered User Senior Member
    A lot of dorm rooms would be impossible to vacuum clean as they are the repository of clothes in various states of cleanliness, bed linens, books, papers, and yes, dirty cups, plastic cutlery, etc..
    Speaking from experience here.
  • cathymeecathymee Posts: 2,384Registered User Senior Member
    S's dorm at U of South Carolinawas spanking clean,with new gleaming hardwood floors in the main floor public area.
    But he informs me he has changed his sheets once (and only b/c he spilled soda on them),he has not vacuumed or swept his floor, and the suite bathroom (4 guys) has been cleaned twice,both by S's roomate.So glad I don't have to see it!
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
    and the suite bathroom (4 guys) has been cleaned twice,both by S's roomate.So glad I don't have to see it!

You are probably also glad that you don't have to use it!
  • jmmomjmmom Posts: 9,081Registered User Senior Member
    When we checked out a vacuum from Housing Svcs to vac up some stray packing matls after moving DS in to his (clean and nice, not fancy) Hopkins dorm, the custodial guy told me there are some rooms they have to "shovel, not vacuum" at the end of the year.

Northeastmom - his suite has it's own bathroom (for 3 boys). I figured move-in day was the last time I'd ever be willing to use it. I now see the minuses of "private" bathroom - custodians clean the common ones, but not the suite one.

Back in the day, my H (on full need scholarship) had as his first work-study job vacuuming suites and cleaning bathrooms for other students at Harvard. Different time? Or do they still do that? (Somehow I doubt it). Boy was he pleased when his later w/s jobs were landscaping, RA etc.
  • cangelcangel Posts: 4,127Registered User Senior Member
    The carpet in my D's dorm room at Dartmouth this fall was truly worthy of being condemned - filthy beyond belief. The common areas and womens' restroom were clean enough, but that carpet really needed to go. Of course, my D was horrified at the idea of me making a fuss in fromt of her new roommate - so I gritted my teeth, smiled, remembered the state of my first apartment (not clean by any stretch), and wrote this off to her independence (not the time to helicopter). It's only until March, it's only until March...
  • weenieweenie Posts: 5,793Registered User Senior Member
    I can not imagine what dorm "expert" decided carpet was a good idea in dorm rooms. Ick.

I do recall at SUNY Binghamton, in the, ahem, late 70's, our suite bathroom was cleaned by staff. It was shared by 6 girls. I bet they aren't anymore.

BTW, I'm not saying my kid's room is clean - it isn't! I guess I'm thinking of the stairways, the lounges, the bathrooms...
  • maritemarite Posts: 21,586Registered User Senior Member
    S's suite had brand new wall-to-wall carpeting. It even gave off brand new carpet smell.
  • HannaHanna Posts: 11,439Registered User Senior Member
    "cleaning bathrooms for other students at Harvard. Different time? Or do they still do that?"

Students on dorm crew are still paid to clean hall bathrooms daily (and all rooms and bathrooms at the beginning and end of the year). They are paid by the college, but the organization is managed by students. They do not clean suite bathrooms, though some entrepreneurs have set up a maid service where students can pay for cleaning.
  • minimini Posts: 26,431Registered User Senior Member
    Damages have been so great at my alma mater (related to drinking) that general cleaning is the least of the problem. http://www.williamsrecord.com/wr/?view=article§ion=news&id=8401

Think cleaning feces off walls.
  • weenieweenie Posts: 5,793Registered User Senior Member
    ^ From the Williams' article mini linked to:
    Partygoers punched holes in the walls and ceiling of the recreation room with pool cues. They also cracked the pool table’s slate stone, found under the felt playing surface, and damaged its ball-return mechanism. A repair team spent 34 hours restoring the room.

Isn't it sobering to think of parents paying $45,000/year for their little darlings' top-notch educations, and this is what they're busy doing? I know it's not ALL kids, or even MOST kids, but still....
  • simbasimba Posts: 6,092Registered User Senior Member
    In general are the girls cleaner than boys?
  • cangelcangel Posts: 4,127Registered User Senior Member
    In general are the girls cleaner than boys?

At the risk of sexism, IN GENERAL, yes, girls are cleaner than boys. But, definitely there are exceptions in both camps. People also seem to have certain blind spots, regardless of sex. I am unable to pick up my dirty clothes and shoes, my husband never leaves so much as a sock on the floor, but you can track him by the trail of lens cleaner wipes he uses to clean his glasses and he hates doing dishes.
  • simbasimba Posts: 6,092Registered User Senior Member
    My son would say he is not dirty - just messy. He never wears 'dirty' clothes or socks.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 18,628Registered User Senior Member
    My S goes from being a bit messy (OK sometimes a lot messy) to being REALLY neat. In any case, he always keeps things pretty hygenic, so I have no real complaints (doesn't have food sitting around anywhere).

I also think having carpets in dorm rooms is asking for trouble, but since that's what most kids are used to, I guess Us think that's what they need to provide. The carpet in my S's dorm at USC is very low pile industrial strength carpet (thank goodness not thick shag), & looked pretty clean when he moved in, as did the worn, somewhat stained furniture. All in all, his dorm room was acceptable & similar to what you might expect in a two or three star hotel. He & roomie were satisfied in any case.

I think one of the underrated benefits of living in a dorm with common bathrooms is that the staff takes care of cleaning them. I have grave doubts about when they'd be cleaned if it were up to the boys to decide when to clean & how clean to get them--maybe move-out day? Another underrated benefit is the convenience of dorm food, no matter how much they may complain about it, it's there without much effort on the kids' part.