Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Did You Meet Your Spouse in College?

cheerscheers Posts: 5,163Registered User Senior Member
edited January 2005 in Parent Cafe
(Shameless attempt to outpost dstark's 500+ thread and scare the youngins)

Yes.
Post edited by cheers on

Replies to: Did You Meet Your Spouse in College?

• mom60mom60 Posts: 5,626Registered User Senior Member
    yes, and the scary thing is we were the same age as D and her boyfriend.
  • ay_carambaay_caramba Posts: 757Registered User Member
    My parents did.

And I AM scared.
  • mackinawmackinaw Posts: 1,906Registered User Senior Member
    Yes I did -- in graduate school. Been married 34 years! We were taking an econ course together. I thought I knew it all. She asked me to help her study for an exam. What actually happened is that she studied for the exam, and I studied HER. She got an A on that exam. I got a B. But we lived happily ever after.
  • jamimomjamimom Posts: 3,278Registered User Senior Member
    Yes. And it was the best thing that ever happened to me. He has really been the most wonderful person in the world. Things have not always been easy, and I have made some decisions that reall made our lives more difficult, but he has always been supportive and helpful. He is truly a gentle man, and I know how that word came to be after I met him.

My kids don't look at it so romantically. "AGHHH, you two met in a MATH course??? If figures." has been their response. Can guarantee you that S1 did NOT ask out any girls from his math class.
  • cheerscheers Posts: 5,163Registered User Senior Member
    :) Still laughing mac. Does this mean that my son will live happily ever after? (He's really really busy 'studying' a coed).

Married 21 years. Two of the best years of my life...as my father-in-law used to joke. (Kidding. My DH sounds like the twin of jmom's...he's a livin' doll).
  • carolyncarolyn Posts: 7,435Registered User Senior Member
    If I had met my spouse in college, we never would have dated, let alone married each other. We were both very different people in those days. :)
  • ValdezVivasMRValdezVivasMR Posts: 451Registered User Member
    my parents met while studying their masters/PhD @ the same college
  • cheerscheers Posts: 5,163Registered User Senior Member
    Ignore the bones V's throwing. folks...I don't wanna beat dstark that badly..
  • archermomarchermom Posts: 493Registered User Member
    Sure did...will be 28 yrs in June!
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Posts: 9,363Registered User Senior Member
    Yep. Sophomore year. Married one week after we graduated. This year will be 31 years.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,292Registered User Senior Member
    no we didn't meet at college- we met when I was 18 and he was 21, we were watching illegal street drag racing at a park by our current house!

Whats funny is, I see the same cars down there on sunny days!
  • momof2incamomof2inca Posts: 3,484Registered User Senior Member
    Nope, we met four or five months after my graduation and were married about six months later. Most of my friends did not meet their future spouses in college. My parents met in college though when my dad wandered through the girls dorm at UCSB asking if anyone wanted to help carve a pumpkin. That was about 44 or 45 Halloweens ago and they are still married.
  • soozievtsoozievt Posts: 29,177Registered User, ! Senior Member
    Ya know if you stay on these forums long enough, every topic resurfaces, including this one but this is a good one.

Yep, I met my hubby in Oct. of my freshman year of college (both students at same one). He is older than me though. We met doing the laundry in my dorm (he lived off campus). That was the last time I ever saw him do it too. We married young as it was summer after my soph year and I was 20 and he was 22 and entering grad school. We were both students the first four years of our marriage and we have now been married for 27 1/2 years.

And yes, to shudder and think that my D is 18 and a freshman now and I can't imagine this, nope.
  • jamimomjamimom Posts: 3,278Registered User Senior Member
    Well, Susan, I am living it. D marries this June. She turns 21 this month, so I guess she was older than you were. But it does seem so different when it is your child. I still feel like she is waaay too young and its waaay too soon, even though it's been over a year since they met. She still acts like she is 13 at times.
  • mackinawmackinaw Posts: 1,906Registered User Senior Member
    Soozie -- the average age at (first) marriage has risen in this country in the last 25 years, so there's probably less risk of your daughter getting married in her early 20's than there was for you.