Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Famous/influential white male married to black female?

psychotickevinpsychotickevin Posts: 115- Junior Member
edited June 2010 in Parent Cafe
The other day I was watching Wheel of Fortune, it was doing this NBA couples week. All three black males were married to stunningly beautiful white females. Thinking back, I don't really know any contemporary famous/influential white male married to African Americans. Examples?
Post edited by psychotickevin on

Replies to: Famous/influential white male married to black female?

• curiousmothercuriousmother Posts: 630Registered User Member
    I know David Bowie (singer) is married to a beautiful black woman, but I'm not sure if she's American or not.
  • LurkNessMonsterLurkNessMonster Posts: 2,015Registered User Senior Member
    Roger Ebert, I believe.
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 18,453Super Moderator Senior Member
    William Cohen, former Secretary of Defense, is married to Janet Langhart, a stunningly beautiful black journalist.
  • OpiefromMayberryOpiefromMayberry Posts: 1,629Registered User Member
    I don't know if Bowie is married to Iman anymore.
  • katliamomkatliamom Posts: 5,856Registered User Senior Member
    Bowie and Iman are still married, yes. Edgar Bronfman Jr's first wife was African American. Robert DeNiro's wife is also black.
  • BayBay Posts: 9,827Registered User Senior Member
    My d tells me that two of the white actors who play doctors on Grey's Anatomy have black wives.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 31,158Registered User Senior Member
    Wasn't Alice Walkers husband white?
  • Burb ParentBurb Parent Posts: 2,100Registered User Senior Member
    If you're a foodie and especially a foodie from NYC, you would know of Jean-George. His wife is mixed african american/white.
  • laxmomlaxmom Posts: 1,449Registered User Senior Member
    Sy Kravitz (Producer) was married to Roxie Roker (The Jefferson's). Parents to Lenny Kravitz.
  • cheerscheers Posts: 5,163Registered User Senior Member
    Robert DeNiro and Toukie Smith--live in partners/parents
    DeNiro and Grace Hightower
    Dawn French and Lenny Henry
    Dianna Ross and Arne Naess
    Grace Jones and Doph Lundgren
    Serena Williams and Bret Ratner (Dir of Money Talks, Rush Hour)
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Posts: 8,997Registered User Senior Member
    To the OP: I think what is fairly well-known, and is proven by the replies to your post here, is that it is much more common for a famous black man to be married to a white woman, than the reverse. I don't know why it matters but this is the case, and has been for a long time.
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 18,453Super Moderator Senior Member
    It may be that for a long time (and perhaps still in certain circles), it was considered detrimental to a white man's career to have a black wife, while it is less so for a black man to have a white wife.
  • binxbinx Posts: 4,318Registered User Senior Member
    David Beckam (English soccer) and Victoria (Posh Spice) Beckam.
    (I'm judging from photos - I'm not really up on celebrities, especially their races.)

Some black communities are matriarchal, whereas white families have been traditionally patriarchal. I'm guessing that it's been harder for a black woman and a white man to pair up because of that conflict of roles.
  • 2dsdad2dsdad Posts: 297Registered User Junior Member
    I don't know if famous or influential describe John Brecher, but he and his wife, Dorothy Gaiter, have been writing a wine column for years in the WSJ as well as books on the subject.
    http://www.thecityreview.com/gaiter.html
    has a bio attached.
  • Jonathan1Jonathan1 Posts: 5,744Registered User Senior Member
    Why does it matter? Maybe some people just are not physically attracted to black people. It's not their fault.