Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

If you could go to College Again: where would you go?

GolfingMomGolfingMom Posts: 252Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2007 in Parent Cafe
So most of us parents here have spent alot of time researching schools and helping our kids find the "right" fit. So based on what you've learned, if you were going to school now, where would you go, what would you major in?

In my case, I spent Freshman year at Marquette (300 mile from home) and transfered to my Flagship University in the Midwest to finish. I considered BC and Notre Dame in Highschool.

My top choices today would be St. Lawrence or Bowdin. I like the idea of a LAC. We visited St. Lawrence with D and I really felt the campus was beautiful and that they have alot of opportunities. At the time, they had the only Caribou Coffee (founder went there) on the East Coast. Both D & I spend bucks there despite H's dismay. Definately a school on the East Coast: ther is so much to see.

As for a major, I'm undecided- education or engineering (current field). I've often wished I was a teacher.
Post edited by GolfingMom on

Replies to: If you could go to College Again: where would you go?

• StickerShockStickerShock Posts: 3,781Registered User Senior Member
    Hands down, Notre Dame. I'm trying to work on D so I can live vicariously through her. Unfortunately, she is a stubborn, contrary, non-compliant young lady. I'll likely have more luck with S.
  • ldmom06ldmom06 Posts: 5,564Registered User Senior Member
    Rice School of Architecture for me....(are we assuming they HAVE to take us in this fantasy? lol!)

I was accepted into two architecture programs as a high school senior, but yielded to the wishes of others and pursued a 'more employable' accounting degree (and CPA license) from big state flagship. I wanna do-over.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,002Registered User Senior Member
    I went to Northwestern (Big Midwestern Uni) and majored in Comparative Lit (Big Waste of Time). If I had it to do over again, I'd go to Swarthmore (excellent LAC) and major in biology (and then go to med school).

Pretty specific, huh?
  • 2forcollege2forcollege Posts: 728Registered User Member
    If I knew then, what I know now:

1. Wouldn't have graduated 1 year early from high school.
    2. Wouldn't have selected my college based on opinions from students on the beach during spring break.
    3. Would have majored in what I really wanted to study, not what I was told I could get a good job in.

After touring so many schools with my girls, I still think U of Chicago would have been the best for me. Also, I'm not sure why, but I really love Boston U.
  • churchmusicmomchurchmusicmom Posts: 3,797Registered User Senior Member
    Probably U of Michigan to study music.

As it was, I stayed in state and had a music scholarship but gave it up to pursue a speech path degree. Guess what I am doing now??? Go ahead....

(hint: look at my screen name).
  • TarhuntTarhunt Posts: 2,138Registered User Senior Member
    Several possibilities:

1. Get out of high school in 10th grade and finish at Shimer with an undergrad degree at 20 or even 19 (YES!!!)
    2. Two years at Deep Springs if they would let me in.
    3. Possible four-year schools (depending on my mood): Chicago, Swarthmore, Reed, Evergreen State, St. Johns Annapolis, Sarah Lawrence, Colorado College, Hopkins, Columbia, Cambridge
  • cangelcangel Posts: 4,127Registered User Senior Member
    Ooo, this is a hard one. Depending on how I feel today, Carleton, Williams, Univ of Chicago, Sewanee or Yale. Every once in awhile, I think how great it would be to go to big state U - Tx or Michigan - just for the incredible variety of classes and the spirit at football games.

Oh, yeah, St Johns - but I'd have to go with my DH
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Posts: 4,785Registered User Senior Member
    Well, if I had been born ~20 years ago instead of in the Stone Age, I think I would have had more options open. I believe I would have been a recruitable Division I athlete in two possible sports. And I would like to have gone Ivy League, please. Just for the prestige. To h*ll with fit! ;)
  • 3togo3togo Posts: 5,187Registered User Senior Member
    edited February 2007
    I went to Cornell as an undergrad majoring in Engineering leaving the window open to Architecture, Math, and Computer Science

Knowing what I know now I would want to go to Cornell as an undergrad majoring in Engineering leaving the window open to Math and Computer Science. FYI - I like Architecture even more than I did then but now know I do not have the skills to be an architect ... architectual engineering maybe.

That said, if I could redo my college search I would give LACs in the northest and mid-atlantic a lot more consideration ... but in the end I think I would still end up at Cornell. I truly believe I found a GREAT school for me ... I knew Cornell was the place for me as soon as I visited and then turned down "higher rated" schools to attend Cornell ... and after 4 years on CC I'm more knowledgeable about colleges than ever and even more sure of my choice.
  • coronax2coronax2 Posts: 1,026Registered User Senior Member
    I wouldn't even have to think twice about this one, The College of William and Mary. I absolutely love the campus, history, tourists and all. I'd love to work part-time in Colonial Williamsburg and live in one of the homes in the historic area. Obviously, I'd want to study early American history, and I just can't imagine a better place to be then right in the middle it.
  • dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,620Registered User Senior Member
    Reed College; I wanted to go there but my mother refused to pay for it ("too far away and the suicide rate is too high").

Of course, my life would have been completely different if I'd gone there. I'd be taller, thinner, and sexier.
  • oaklandmomoaklandmom Posts: 1,076Registered User Member
    MIT! I fell in love when my son was applying. Oh I wanted him to go there. He decided on Caltech. I knew MIT was the choice I would have made (but those many years ago, my father told me I could not under any circumstances even take an engineering class, if I did, my parents would not pay for college).
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Posts: 24,853Registered User Senior Member
    I'd still go to Harvard. I was a small town girl who had a rough time adapting to the big city and to the many students who were far more sophisticated and assertive than I was, but the experience changed my life so much for the better.

One major thing that I learned was how much it is possible for people to do if they believe in their own ideas and take advantage of and make opportunities to make their ideas come true. Those lessons have stood me well for the rest of my life.
  • GolfingMomGolfingMom Posts: 252Registered User Junior Member
    Oaklandmom, my father told me to try engineering, stay away from accounting. he didn't like how they trated women in his firm. I think our parents had alot more influence than parents do today.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,002Registered User Senior Member
    I think our parents had alot more influence than parents do today.

Let's all come back here in 30 or 40 years and see what our kids have to say.