Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Rounding GPA on Resume

numba1numba1 Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2011 in Parent Cafe
I am currently a college student but I decided to ask this question on the parents forum because I figured the people here would have more experience with such matters. Is it acceptable to round your GPA on a resume? Lets say you have a 2.96. Is it ok to list it on your resume as a 3.0?
Post edited by numba1 on

Replies to: Rounding GPA on Resume

• latetoschoollatetoschool Posts: 3,143Registered User Member
    I wouldn't do it. Through an employer's eyes, even the slightest deviation from the truth can/will be interpreted as dishonesty.
  • conyatconyat Posts: 2,519- Junior Member
    Agreed with LTS that you don't want to give any apearance of impropriety.

It would be ok to use a letter grade, though if your school gives them. If that's in the range that's considered a B average at your school, you could say it that way (though if your school gives plusses and minuses you'd have to add that too).

As someone who has reviewed a lot of resumes, I'm not sure you really have to put your GPA. Anyone who wants your GPA is probably going to ask for a transcript any way.

Employers care more about credentials (# of credit hours, degrees earned), since they have specific job eligibility requirements to meet. (I've never seen a job description that called for a particular GPA.)

Prestige of the program probably would also come before GPA. Also be sure to mention any awards or significant accomplishments in ECs that are relevant to the position.
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 22,939Registered User Senior Member
    I never put my GPA on my resume.
  • "just"aMom"just"aMom Posts: 2,092Registered User Senior Member
    No, no, no. Your GPA is your GPA, not rounded to the next highest whole number. My GPA was important for my last "real" resume, so it is listed (along with the classes I took, also important for that position). I got the position. I was up against young (20s) kids, I needed to show I had what it took to be in school & work (even at MY age).
    Well, being a mathmom and all, if you listed your GPA, by the time you listed the mean, median, mode, and standard deviation, and made all the graphs and charts showing the grade distribution, so that the employer would know how to interpret your GPA, you'd run afoul of the one page rule. :)
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,277Registered User Senior Member
    Nobody's going to object if you truncate and report it as 3.9.

But that's not what you wanted to hear, right?
  • fendergirlfendergirl Posts: 4,647Registered User Senior Member
    I never put my GPA on my resume.. and in all of my interviews, I was only asked once. (and it was NOT at the job I wound up getting)
  • sunnyfloridasunnyflorida Posts: 4,790Registered User Senior Member
    Marian you meant 2.9 right? Or 3.9 ala Marilee Jones!!! I would agree that if you report it, report it as 2.9 or 2.96, not 3.0
  • WashDadWashDad Posts: 2,695Registered User Member
    1. Don't put your GPA on your resume, if the resume is used for job interviews. It always looks strange.

2. If your GPA is 2.96, who cares about the hundredths? If you round it to 3, I wouldn't object. Who cares? Outside of academia it wouldn't draw the slightest notice. ESPECIALLY if it is for an interview for your second or fifth job. After you land the first post-college job, no one cares what your grades were. (Sorry if that startles any students around here.)
  • astrophysicsmomastrophysicsmom Posts: 4,326Registered User Senior Member
    The rule of thumb I always heard, was put your GPA if it is really good. Otherwise, leave it off. (For first few years out of college, --2 different job seeking missions-- I certainly included my GPA :) ) Don't round GPA past 2 digits.... 3.xx
    A cynical view would be that you should put your GPA on your resume only if it's lower (but just a tad) than that of the person making the hiring decision.
  • brand_182brand_182 Posts: 7,589Registered User Senior Member
    I was told to only put your GPA if it is above a 3.5 and that you should not put it on your resume after your first post-grad job.
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 22,939Registered User Senior Member
    However if you graduate with honors, you may put that on your resume. :)
  • TheDadTheDad Posts: 10,210Registered User, ! Senior Member
    Round to two decimals; 2.96, not 3.0.

Sometimes while still in school it's appropriate. After first job I don't think it is, though "with honors" or "summa cum laude" is in bounds.
  • simbasimba Posts: 6,092Registered User Senior Member
    Many major corporations have GPA cut-off. If you don't put, it would look as if you are below the cut-off. My company will not interview you.

Agree with TheDad: round it to two decimal places.