Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Moving on into the next stage...any ideas on moving?

boysx3boysx3 Posts: 5,160Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2007 in Parent Cafe
My son just graduated from college and will be moving to Washington D.C.

He has rented a nice (small) apartment and has little money to decorate,etc. He would like to take some furniture from home here in Ohio to DC (basically, two armoires/dressers, bedside tables, a dining room table & chairs, and a tv).

Any ideas on how to move these few things inexpensively without going the U-Haul route would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
Post edited by boysx3 on

Replies to: Moving on into the next stage...any ideas on moving?

• wis75wis75 Posts: 8,928Registered User Senior Member
    The U-Haul route seems best, unless you find a similar, but cheaper, company to rent the truck from. The alternative is to find some friends with a good truck and offer them a chance to see DC. Of course, you would want to reimburse them for their time and expenses, saving no money... Sometimes you just have to spend the money to transport things- it would be a lot more expensive (plus the trouble of finding/delivering...) to buy new, and would waste the unused furniture from home. Bite the proverbial bullet.
  • IreneIrene Posts: 237Registered User Junior Member
    This might not work for your S, but I've found that the *cheapest* way of handling this is to buy furniture off of Craigslist in the city you just moved to, then sell it on Craigslist when you move somewhere else, and use the $$ you get to buy more furniture from Craigslist in the new city. For longer distances, sometimes transporting stuff is just not worth it. I agree it would be a pity to waste the existing furniture that I assume is just taking up space in your basement or attic, though, and if your S is planning on staying in DC for awhile, it might be worth it to use UHaul. Good luck.