Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Coed Dorms/Bathrobes

PanhandlegalPanhandlegal Posts: 547Registered User Member
edited July 2007 in Parent Cafe
Do the guys in dorms actually use bathrobes?? There has never been a man in my life--father, brother, husband, son, etc.--who has used a bathrobe! Maybe it's just my weird family, but I'm wondering if college guys use bathrobes or if they just wrap their towels around themselves and head down the hall? All the checklists seem to list bathrobes! Inquiring minds want to know!
Post edited by Panhandlegal on

Replies to: Coed Dorms/Bathrobes

• MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 16,978Registered User Senior Member
    No bathrobes. They just wear boxers, pajama bottoms or those baggy gym shorts to and from the bathroom.
  • blackeyedsusanblackeyedsusan Posts: 2,386Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks, MWC ... I just asked this question of my son ...

As in, "will you need a bathrobe to wear between your room and the hall bathroom?"

And I got a really weird look in response, so it's good to hear someone substantiate this.

And yes, bathrobes ARE on the list of what to bring to college, so I wasn't way out of touch in asking!
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 16,978Registered User Senior Member
    I have a funny bathrobe story. WildChild was in a VERY strict, structured boarding school for awhile and bathrobes were absolutely required. I had to go buy one (very cheap one-looked like something you would find in a nursing home) and send it. Well-to be obnoxious, he wore it over his jeans into the student lounge. The Headmaster (very strict) came up to him and said, "Who do you think you are? Hugh Heffner?"
  • mafoolmafool Posts: 6,453Registered User Senior Member
    Very funny, MOWC!

S does wear his terry bathrobe at school. It is thick terrycloth and long enough in the sleeves and length for his lanky 6'3" frame.
  • over30over30 Posts: 2,411Registered User Senior Member
    No bathrobe in son's dorm either.
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,322Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think my son knows what a bathrobe is. He lived in co-ed dorms for two years and always put on the nearest pair of jeans or shorts when going to the bathroom (he's not the walk-down-the-hall-in-boxers type, even at home).

My daughter, who will be starting her freshman year in a few weeks, did buy a bathrobe, though, even though she has never owned one before. It occurred to her that even in the all-women's dorm she will be living in, she didn't want to walk down the hall after a shower in a towel, and she didn't want to put her clothes back on right after a shower and get them wet, either.
  • weenieweenie Posts: 5,793Registered User Senior Member
    Sadly, they run around in their boxers :eek: or those pajama bottom things.
  • dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,679Registered User Senior Member
    My son very much liked the terry cloth bathrobe I got him--drying and covering at once! He was impressed with the efficiency.
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Posts: 4,834Registered User Senior Member
    Just asked son and he said that he always wore the big white terry robe we bought at Linen's n Things. At home, he uses the towel around the waist method.
  • willmingtonwavewillmingtonwave Posts: 3,344Registered User Senior Member
    I just wore a towell around my waist to and fro the bathroom. But early in the morning I feel no shame.
  • "just"aMom"just"aMom Posts: 2,107Registered User Senior Member
    D only wore her bathrobe at night when it was cold, while she was studying, and already in her pjs. Otherwise she said she never used it.
  • shoebox10shoebox10 Posts: 3,540Registered User Senior Member
    I (girl) wore mine because I was at one end of the hall, bathroom at the other, and even though I was in an all-girls dorm, guys were frequently seen in the halls. This also allowed me to use my towel on my head. This year i'm moving into an apartment on campus with 5 other girls and so I'm just going to take my big towel, and maybe a second, smaller towel for my hair. The robe just takes up wayy too much space and it's not like the other girls don't have anything I do in regards to bodies. I probably could've gotten by without it last year even, I just like to have a towel wrapped on my head and the pockets in the robe were sort of nice to stuff things in when I realized i was about to wear them in the shower (jewelry, hair things, etc).

As for guys, i've yet to meet a guy that uses a robe. Most of my guy friends just want something to dry off with, whether its a big huge towel or paper towels.
  • thisoldmanthisoldman Posts: 1,045Registered User Member
    What? I went to school in the late 68-72.
  • weenieweenie Posts: 5,793Registered User Senior Member
    ^^ Hmmm. Paper towels would certainly solve the laundry problem. :D
  • PrincedogPrincedog Posts: 740Registered User Member
    My experience from a summer dorm program: girls most likely will want a bathrobe, although they could always wait and see I guess. It's much easier than trying to hold a towel up as a lot of girls will be juggling a caddy full of hair and body products. It's hard to hold a towel up to cover your whole boyd while attempting to open your door with one hand with a key, hold stuff, and hold your towel. I definitely used my bathrobe everyday.

Boys, their mileage will vary. Some will want it, some won't. Some will be carrying one bar of soap if they carry anything or may just leave their stuff around in the bathroom. In addition they only have to cover their waist which makes thing easier. Bathrobes are going to be optional under some of these circumstances. But I think that it won't necessarily be viewed as odd if you do choose to use one.