Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

how much to tip a hairdresser?

bethievtbethievt Posts: 6,752Registered User Senior Member
edited September 2007 in Parent Cafe
I never know how much to tip my hairdresser. Some things, like foils for color, take a long time and cost a lot. Does one go by percentage of bill, like in a restaurant?
Post edited by bethievt on

Replies to: how much to tip a hairdresser?

• emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,779Registered User Senior Member
    generally it is a percent- although if they did an exceptionally great job you can always reflect that-
    owners aren't generally tipped
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
    Great question. I tip 15-20%, but sometimes feel as though I am not tipping enough. My hairdresser spends so much time working with me. She is always sincerely happy to see me, so I figured that I am tipping the right amount, but I really do feel like I should be tipping more. BTW, I want to buy her a nice gift for the holidays. I am not hijacking, but if anyone has a good gift idea, it would be great.
  • baseballmombaseballmom Posts: 1,430Registered User Senior Member
    It's supposed to be around 15%, like a restaurant. I've always tipped 20%, because, well, it's my hair! :) Anyone who can turn the Bride of Frankenstein into a real woman is worth it!
  • ldmom06ldmom06 Posts: 5,564Registered User Senior Member
    lol...I'm a 20 percenter too! It seems like they always take good care of the 20 percenters....so it's worth it. ;)
  • baseballmombaseballmom Posts: 1,430Registered User Senior Member
    which reminds me....my hairdresser would break down and cry if she could see me now!
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 Posts: 5,485Registered User Senior Member
    I tip 20%, too. But I also tip the shampoo woman significantly, because her shampoos include a 10-15 minute scalp and neck massage which leaves me floating!
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 37,679Registered User Senior Member
    nymomof2-
    What do you consider a "significant" tip for the shampoo lady? She gives a neck and scalp massage, but not for 10'! Jealous! I tip her a couple of bucks. Maybe if I tipped more I'd get a longer massage!!

As for the "owner" thing, I know that officially protocol says not to tip the owner, but I always do. Her daughter sometimes does the color on my hair (and if not her dau, than another person) so it does get pricey with 3 tips, but I feel guilty if I don't tip them. They work hard and my hair looks good when they do it. I am with baseballmom on this one. Ditto for my massage therapist, BTW. I tip her too, even though it's her shop.
  • roshkeroshke Posts: 3,006Registered User Senior Member
    20% here too. But I know for a fact that his A list people (who come at least once a week for a blow out) do tip less percentage wise than mere regular customers like me!

There was a time when owners would not even accept a tip, but that doesn't seem to be the case in practice as much anymore. You are still not supposed to have to tip owners of a salon, though. I don't go to the owner, but I've heard it's at about half and half for those who do tip him and those who don't.
  • cangelcangel Posts: 4,127Registered User Senior Member
    When you go to a new salon, how do you tactfully determine who is the owner???

I always tip everyone, but I'm kind of a cheap tipper.
  • rutgersmammarutgersmamma Posts: 355Registered User Member
    I've read that if the owner of the salon does your hair, tipping isn't necessary. Do others agree?
  • mkm56mkm56 Posts: 3,062Registered User Senior Member
    rutgersmamma, that is what I was always told by my mother and other people. And it is what I do. However, my d. sometimes uses my hairdresser and she insists on tipping.
  • RileydogRileydog Posts: 611Registered User Member
    Since I just got back from a cut, color and mini highlight, to the tune of $95 I will tell you that I gave the hairdresser $15 and the person who shampoos $6.00 - that was all the cash I had - they won't let you put the tip in the check and I didn't have time to stop for cash - poor planning! My hairdresser IS the owner and everyone tips her. I go every 4 to 5 weeks. I think the tip probably depends on the cost of the service. I have paid $120 for a non mini and left more than $20 tip for her. $15 is about 15% I guess of the $95. Frankly, the prices are pretty high so I feel that it is not so low but I could be wrong. I have been going to the same people for several years now - I still feel uncomfortable about the tip stuff.

For the holidays I have given the "shop" a gift certificate for take out Thai food from their favorite take out restaurant (they are always ordering when I am there) on a few occasions. This year I felt, however, that I really needed to separate out the two people I see since I no longer saw "everyone" in the shop, so I gave the shampoo woman a $20 GC to dunkin' donuts and the hairdresser her own GC to the Thai restaurant and didnt try to make everyone in the shop happy - a change in personnel made that easier to do. It's always awkward, isn't it? I saw too many plants, boxes of chocolates and bottles of wine there, as gifts, so I gave up on the issue of not giving GCs. They always tell me how much they loved my GC to the Thai restaurant so I believe them.
  • RileydogRileydog Posts: 611Registered User Member
    BTW, I am completely grey since 20s and have to go. I may have to give it up when son#2 goes to college.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Posts: 9,457Registered User Senior Member
    I've been going to the same hairdresser for 18 years. My usual tip is $10 for a wash and style, $20 for a cut, and $40 for color and/or highlites. Yes, it's generous but I know that I'm always going to be happy with the results, I always get an appointment when I want one, I always enjoy being there, and I like tipping well for excellent service. This salon doesn't have someone who just washes. My own stylist usually washes my hair, and if she's busy finishing up another client, one of the other stylists will fill in. It's truly a wonderful place to go and I know the life stories of all who work there, as they do of me, and their other regulars. Even when we lived elsewhere periodically over the years, I always tried to time my visits 'home' for when my hair needed work!
  • roshkeroshke Posts: 3,006Registered User Senior Member
    cangel, If it's not common knowledge or the name of the shop isn't the name of the one cutting your hair (!) , just casually ask the receptionist when you make the appointment or when you go up to pay "Is he/she the owner here?"