Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Help! Sugar ants in my laptop

anxiousmomanxiousmom Posts: 5,514Registered User Senior Member
edited September 2007 in Parent Cafe
I seem to have little bitty ants living in my laptop. One or two crawl out when I am tapping away, and I smush them - but others replace them. I tried putting sugar ant bait (basically borax and sugar water) around the laptop for a day and a half, but it hasn't seemed to help and I worry about them taking the sugar water back inside to their happy, warm home near the batter? dvd drive? I've tried googling this problem, but the hits I get are other people with this problem - but nobody chiming in with actually having SOLVED the problem. (Suggestions include putting laptop in freezer, taking it to computer repair shop, dismantling and blowing out insides with canned air.) I don't know how to dismantle my laptop - so
ANY COMPUTER ANT ERADICATION SUCCESS STORIES OUT THERE????
:eek:
Post edited by anxiousmom on

Replies to: Help! Sugar ants in my laptop

• emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 35,682Registered User Senior Member
    I have an ibook and it is very easy to take the keyboard out- there are little tabs at the top that you click to remove it-
    I bet if you look online you can find instructions on how to change your keyboard which will give you access to the inside easily
  • scansmomscansmom Posts: 1,553Registered User Senior Member
    maybe try some googles on how to clean a keyboard or something more general like that (hopefully that's all the farther they have gotten); one example:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2026_clean-computer-keyboard.html
  • anxiousmomanxiousmom Posts: 5,514Registered User Senior Member
    I took out the keyboard (thanks for the tip EK) but they are not in the keyboard area..must be in the hardrive or DVD player. Any more ideas or info?
  • acinvaacinva Posts: 616Registered User Member
    I did a little googling and found this:

Vacumn daily and/or lightly dust with Comet or talcum powder.
  • ncmentorncmentor Posts: 1,346Registered User Senior Member
    How about a no pest strip in a sealed bag with your laptop for a day...
  • latetoschoollatetoschool Posts: 3,143Registered User Member
    Maybe some very tiny spiders, to spin webs and trap the ants?
  • jmmomjmmom Posts: 9,084Registered User Senior Member
    ^^ hysterical.

I hope this problem is not contagious. I've spent too much time reading about it just now. :eek:
  • AlumotherAlumother Posts: 6,219Registered User Senior Member
    Northstarmom has hives. Anxiousmom has ants in her laptop.

Something is not right...
  • maysixxmommaysixxmom Posts: 697Registered User Member
    Are you sure they're sugar ants? they could be pharoah ants, which eat skin cells. Those ants require a special bait usually available only from a pest control company. I've had them in the house before and nothing but that bait works.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 35,682Registered User Senior Member
    good call maysixx
    I admit I have never heard of sugar ants or pharaoh ants but we had carpenter ants in the last two homes Ive lived in- they are persistent!
  • anxiousmomanxiousmom Posts: 5,514Registered User Senior Member
    Nope, these are teeny-tiny sugar ants. We've had them lots of times in the house, and the borax/sugar bait always works. I think part of the problem is that these ants don't seem to come out of the computer to forage very much. I guess I'll just leave the baits around the laptop whenever I'm not tappping away.. :(
  • nngmmnngmm Posts: 5,708Registered User Senior Member
    If the alternative is buying a new keyboard, you could try to run it through your dishwasher first:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11029793

edit: Sorry, I didn't realize this was a laptop :-/... I guess dishwasher is not a good idea...
  • WashDadWashDad Posts: 2,695Registered User Member
    You need to get the ants out. They are dropping things inside your computer that are bad for it. If you aren't comfortable stripping your computer down to components and cleaning it out -- a task not for the inexperienced or faint-hearted -- take it to a professional and have them do it. Our PC support tech at the office took my Dell notebook apart and dried it out after a cow orker spilled black coffee in it, and it only took him about 15 minutes.

I wouldn't just get than ants out -- I'd make sure their mess is cleaned up.

Good luck. Brings real clarity to the expression "computer bug," doesn't it?
  • baseballmombaseballmom Posts: 1,431Registered User Senior Member
    Pop out the keyboard and you should see about 4 screws that you can remove with the right tool. Then you can see the insides and hopefully, the ants.

OTOH, if you have a Dell, chances are it will blow up and self-destruct like mine did and perhaps the ants would burn. :)

I like the laptop in the freezer idea, but you should call the company to be sure there's nothing in there that could be damaged.