Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

one of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . . .

Replies to: one of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . . .

• RachachaRachacha Registered User Posts: 1,266 Senior Member
    I normally do not read fiction, but on recommendations here I just finished "Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral" and "One Hundred Years of Solitude". Now I will go back to my favorite genre, autobiographies/memoirs, since I just bought Eric Clapton's....
  • epistrophyepistrophy Registered User Posts: 1,546 Senior Member
    fendrock wrote:

I also read The Lost. . . .

It . . . includes long passages of biblical exegesis, plus just plain long sentences.

An interesting book, but not light or easy reading by any means.

I agree that Mendelsohn often uses long sentences. (In part this seems to be a stylistic debt to Proust.) That said, I think that these sentences are long for a reason: because he has many different images or ideas that he wants to juxtapose before coming to a full stop with a period. And I found him to be an extremely graceful writer, so his prose never seemed (to me, anyway) swampy.

As for "long passages of biblical exegesis," at the risk of sounding a bit like Bill Clinton, I guess this depends on what you mean by "long." It is true that stories from the Hebrew Bible (specifically, as I recall, the Torah) are one of the strands that Mendelsohn uses in weaving together his story. But for me these sections worked well and I don't think that any of them are longer than, say, five pages. (And while I don't think that this is necessarily too relevant here, when I say that these sections "worked well" for me, I do so as someone who is not Jewish, nor even much of a believer at all - more on the Buddhist/agnostic part of the spectrum, if anywhere.)

As for its not being "light" reading - yeah, I agree with that (but then that sort of goes with the territory - the Holocaust, that is).

As for its not being "easy," well, for me the "easiest" reading is that which yields the greatest pleasure - and I found this book deeply pleasurable.
  • TreetopleafTreetopleaf Registered User Posts: 2,721 Senior Member
    I really enjoyed Wild Trees by Richard Preston, about the undiscovered ecosystem atop the giant redwoods in CA. Now I want to go see them!
    Since I started this thread with something - a nonfiction book relating to the Holocaust - that another poster found "dense," I'll add one more book that offers a very different sort of reading experience. A book that is, at times, laugh-out-loud funny, and that is one of the best, most brilliant short-story collections that I've ever read: Lorrie Moore's Birds of America. I don't know of anyone whose writing - sentence for sentence - offers more pure pleasure. (Yes, her humor is often dark, but, uh, so is life - right?)
  • micromommicromom Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Seeing in the Dark by Timothy Ferris

I can never get over our incredibly magnificent universe. How elegant and....ordered. And I get to be part of it - how cool is that?
  • curiousercuriouser Registered User Posts: 1,361 Senior Member
    I'd also like to second Eat,Pray,Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. As a bit of a skeptic about many things spiritual, I found this book really sparked a curiousity I didn't feel previously.

However, my favorite part was the "Eat" section, centered in Italy :)
  • dkedke Registered User Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    I'm spacing here but its the book "One thousand ??" whatever by the author of the Kite Runner. I think about the characters so often....can't get them out of my mind. Middlesex, on the other hand, has been donated to the library. I just couldn't get into it and gave after about 80 pages.I just didn't get it at all.
  • mafoolmafool Registered User Posts: 6,453 Senior Member
    ^^^^^
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I second the recommendation.
  • seiclanseiclan Registered User Posts: 4,182 Senior Member
    I third "A Thousand Splended Suns". It is the best book that I have read since "Water For Elephants". I couldn't put the book down...read it in two afternoons!
  • dkedke Registered User Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    What's Water for Elephants about, seiclan?
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is (told in flashback) about a man's life with a traveling Circus during the depression. It was well written, well researched and an original story. I highly recommend it...another page-turner!
    Also on my short list of books to read before 2008:
    The Short Bus
    Snowflower and the Secret Fan
    Eat, Pray, Love
    Amy Tan's book: Saving Fish from Drowning
    A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
    and The Other Boleyn Sister
  • binxbinx Registered User Posts: 4,318 Senior Member
    My D just told me yesterday that I needed to read Water for Elephants. She read it in her English class and enjoyed it.

I also enjoyed The Book Thief, and The Thirteenth Tale. It seems I read another book also about death, because my kids asked me why I kept reading books about death. Can't remember what book it was.
  • fendrockfendrock Registered User Posts: 3,045 Senior Member
    epistrophy, The Lost is a very unusual book. Mendelsohn uses (experiments?) with a variety of approaches to tell his story.

Biblical exegesis is one of them, and I can't think of any other book that uses it in this way.

I also read A Thousand Suns, and comparing the reading of these two books is like comparing apples to pomegranates.

I just wanted to give some sense of how I found the book.
    epistrophy, The Lost is a very unusual book. Mendelsohn uses (experiments?) with a variety of approaches to tell his story.

I agree - on both counts.