Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Let's talk black gook --

cockatielcockatiel Posts: 107Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2007 in Parent Cafe
What can I do to get rid of the mildew stains (aka "black gook") that forms around the edges of sinks and especially the edge of the bathtub?

I have already tried scrubbing and scrubbing with bleach.....and the black gook is still sitting there smirking at me.

Is the only alternative to living with the disgusing stuff to re-grout the tub and sink? (I really don't want to face dh with that option!)
Post edited by cockatiel on

Replies to: Let's talk black gook --

• dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,619Registered User Senior Member
    Are you talking about the stuff that's growing in the plastic sealant (not grout) that joins the wall and the tub?

Because if that's where you've got mildew, you need to scrape it out, dry the area out with a hairdryer or somesuch, and reapply the sealant, because you now have moisture trapped in the wall--which you really don't want.

However, because it's not grout, it's not that hard to get out, really. I've done it myself.
  • ebeeeeeebeeeee Posts: 5,199Registered User Senior Member
    I have used stuff called kaboom (or something like that) in a purple bottle. It's pretty toxic though, you need gloves and you don't want to breathe it.
  • mom2threemom2three Posts: 810Registered User Member
    Baking soda and bleach. Trowel it on, and it sits in the cracks and crevices. Wait 20 minutes to half an hour, rinse off.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    I lay down a line of the bleach gel that comes in a little tube (made by Chlorox) on that pesky mildew and let it sit for a good long while. Sounds like the expensive version of what mom2three uses. Scrubbing doesn't work.
  • vulture3vulture3 Posts: 291Registered User Junior Member
    Bleach. Steam. I've had some luck with my household steamer. But as stated above, I've also found that sometimes the caulk just has to be re-done if the mildew has taken hold "within". It really is simple to do, you just need dry conditions.
  • tanyanubintanyanubin Posts: 480Registered User Junior Member
    I use that anti-mildew stuff---comes in all brands in all kinds of bottles. It stinks, but it does the job. Don't even have to scrub!
  • CluelessClueless Posts: 164Registered User Junior Member
    I have the same gook on the edges of the painted bathroom ceiling. Would all of the above work without ruining the paint?

Sorry for hijacking, cockatiel!
  • doubleplaydoubleplay Posts: 3,550Registered User Senior Member
    There is probably a buildup of soap scum as well as mildew. Just using mildew remover doesn't work in my shower because it's "covered" with a thin layer of soap buildup. Soap buildup is obvious in the bottom of the shower or tub- it's a generalized "gray" discoloration. I use a soap scum remover first- spray everything down and use a brush or scrubbie to loosen up the grayish scum, and rinse. After that step, I spray everything down with a mildew remover and scrub, especially in the grout joints, then rinse.
  • BayBay Posts: 10,233Registered User Senior Member
    OP,

I assume you do not know that the word "gook" is an offensive derogatory slang term. Sorry to bring it up, but everytime I look at the title of this thread, it makes me react. Here is the wikipedia definition:
    Gook
    (U.S. military slang) an Asian person, especially an enemy (e.g. Koreans or Vietnamese during the Korean and Vietnam wars). By extension, any Asian person. Derived from the Korean words “hanguk” and “miguk”. Guk is from the Chinese word guo, which means kingdom or country. “Hanguk” refers to Korea[26] and “miguk” is the common word for the United States.[27] American troops thought "miguk" sounded like "me gook" (i.e. "I am a gook"). The word persisted during the Vietnam War, perhaps also because the Vietnamese people have a similar word “quốc”, meaning "country". "Gook" was also used by white soldiers in Africa to designate enemy insurgents.[71]
  • doubleplaydoubleplay Posts: 3,550Registered User Senior Member
    ^^ that's the gook pronounced OO as in boot. The gook OP is talking about is commonly spelled 'guck', and is pronounced OO as in look.
  • BayBay Posts: 10,233Registered User Senior Member
    Yes thank you, after reading the thread, I knew what she was referring to. But the title alone does not reveal OP's meaning. I have never seen "guck" spelled "gook," but it does appear as an alternative spelling in the dictionary.
  • 1of421of42 Posts: 2,443- Member
    I'll be honest, when I read the thread title what Bay was pointing out jumped immediately to my mind. Happy this wasn't along those lines. :P
  • CluelessClueless Posts: 164Registered User Junior Member
    lol. I had no idea. Learned something new!
  • LKADmomLKADmom Posts: 154Registered User Junior Member
    I remember years ago moving into a shared home after college that had been inhabited by mostly men. I inherited their gross bathroom. I remember using a product called "X-14" with great results. The heavily slimed black bathroom was disgusting, but spraying the X-14 (with good ventilation) and letting it sit a while had the tile and grout sparkling. I may have had to use an old toothbrush on a few of the tougher areas, but I recall being pretty impressed with the product.
  • Puzzled88Puzzled88 Posts: 1,097Registered User Senior Member
    Try soaking some cotton balls in bleach and then wedging a row of them around the edge of the sink or bathtub where the black stuff is. Leave it sit for a few hours and it may be gone when you get back. I do this around my shower door and it works. Don't do it on marble though. I did that near my sink and it took the polish off.