Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Public Schools in Montgomery County, MD

alnatalnat Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited February 2008 in Parent Cafe
We currently live in the Walter Johnson school district and are thinking about relocating to another school district. For those with current or recent experience, I would love to hear your thoughts about Walter Johnson, Wootton and Churchill. The pros, cons, any sort of advice. We are interested in college admissions (both my husband and I went to Ivy league) so would also like to hear about college admission rates and competition within the school in applying to colleges. We would like this next move to be our last move so we want to make sure we have all our info beforehand. Thanks.
Post edited by alnat on

Replies to: Public Schools in Montgomery County, MD

• northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
    I sent a PM to you.
  • HuntHunt Posts: 22,054Registered User Senior Member
    We live in the Churchill cluster. It has excellent schools. Churchill itself is a top school--my only criticism with it is that the social scene is very rich. My understanding is that Wootton is also very good, perhaps not quite up to Churchill. I suspect you won't find much difference between these two schools with respect to college admissions or competition. One difference is that Wootton supposedly has a larger percentage of Asian students (just based on demographics). I think both of them would be considered somewhat better than Walter Johnson, although that's a good school, too.
    Depending on you kids' ages and what kind of students they are, you might want to think about the magnet elementary, middle, and high schools. Richard Montgomery High School in Rockville has a magnet IB program, and a brand new building. It's not all that far from the Churchill and Wootton areas. The science magnet at Montgomery Blair High School is in a rougher area and is much farther away (as are both of the magnet middle schools).
    Take a look at the MCPS website for descriptions of the special programs at all of these schools--Wootton and Churchill have some special programs, too.
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,277Registered User Senior Member
    Walter Johnson has a good reputation. Wootton and Churchill, a bit better. But all three are better than average for Montgomery County, and Montgomery County is way better than average for the country as a whole.

In terms of special programs, kids from all three of the clusters that you mention are still eligible for Blair. However, you need to be aware that kids from certain other parts of the county are now required to apply to the fledgling Math/Science/Computer Science magnet at Poolesville instead. Nobody knows whether this program will have anywhere near the extraordinary success of the program at Blair. So if you have a child whose future tastes might run to Blair, choose your cluster carefully.

As of right now, kids from the whole county are eligible to apply to Richard Montgomery's IB program. But that too may change.
  • jessiehljessiehl Posts: 3,328Registered User Senior Member
    I don't know about the schools in general, having not been there, but I'm familiar with Blair. It is a very good science school. When I was a high school freshman, our school dethroned theirs from the national Science Bowl title, which they had held for a few years prior to that.
  • CountingDownCountingDown Posts: 10,313Registered User Senior Member
    For a kid whose interests runs to the humanities, the APEX program at WJ may be an alternative to the IB program at Richard Montgomery. Whitman gets a couple of kids to Intel/Siemens semifinals on a pretty regular basis. All are in fairly expenseve areas of MontCo, so be prepared for sticker shock. There are Ivy-educated people east of I-270, too.
  • NovelistoNovelisto Posts: 2,955Registered User Member
    If you are thinking of relocating, now is a good time...there is plenty of house inventory and prices have dropped between 6 and 10 percent versus 2 years ago. Mont County spends a fortune on their schools...it is a major focus of the county council and exec because they know it draws the best and brightest *parents*. We've done both private and public schools in this county and, really, the public school system, even the less 'name' schools, is outstanding. There are AP and advanced classes all over the system. A friend's daughter is doing the "Odyessy" Program which is all advanced and accelerated classes without having to be in one of the more famous MC schools.

Poolesville has a wonderful new magnet program which is the first 'upcounty' -- all the others are 'downcounty' which proved a problem when the upcounty boomed a few years ago. My daughter went through the first years of the first upcounty magnet middle school and many of her peers went on to Poolesville. The only drawback -- Poolesville is one of the few areas in the county where houses have held their value or increased. Beautiful homes there though, mostly on bigger pieces of property than you'll find elsewhere in the county.
  • Mr. BojanglesMr. Bojangles Posts: 824Registered User Member
    Wootton has a really good lacrosse team...freakin' killed us a while back.
  • jmmomjmmom Posts: 9,081Registered User Senior Member
    Are you thinking of moving specifically for reasons of improving the quality of your kid(s)' education? And/or specifically to improve chances of Ivy League college admission or some other level of college admission?

Or do you have other reasons for a possible move?