Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Suggestions for soccer cleats for outdoor, artificial turf?

Karen CollegesKaren Colleges Posts: 1,751Registered User Senior Member
edited July 2013 in Parent Cafe
Our school has redesigned the (outdoor) soccer field, and is installing artificial turf. As I recall, wearing regular soccer cleats can cause knee injuries. Any suggestions for what kind of shoes we should look for?

Also, I seem to remember hearing that scrapes from artificial turf can be nasty and hard to heal. Any comments? We are in a semi-tropical environment, so there is a lot of mold and mildew, which will be in the turf, unless they are planning to wash it regularly.
Post edited by Karen Colleges on

Replies to: Suggestions for soccer cleats for outdoor, artificial turf?

• HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch Posts: 2,119Registered User Senior Member
    Karen, what you're looking for = turf cleats. Most larger sporting goods stores sell them now. If you can't find them locally, numerous places online have them. Bear in mind that they collect just as much stuff as traditional soccer/lax/f.h. cleats, but instead of mud and grass clumps it will be what are endearingly known as "turf turds."
  • HarrietMWelschHarrietMWelsch Posts: 2,119Registered User Senior Member
    As for the injuries, you do sometimes get scrapes that are more like rug burn. Not sure what sport your kid plays, but you can't go wrong with tossing a few extras of those alcohol based hand-sanitizers (the kind that come in mini spray tubes) in her or his soccer/lax bag. The spray covers the larger surface area of a big scrape, say from a post-slide-tackle slide, pretty well. Theoretically the trainers and coaches should have all this stuff but - it doesn't hurt to bring your own.
  • snoopyiscoolsnoopyiscool Posts: 18,082Registered User Senior Member
    Most of my friends wear flats on turf.
  • juba2jivejuba2jive Posts: 1,001Registered User Member
    Soccer.com has a subcategory of turf boots. Go to footwear and you'll see the subcategory.
  • vulture3vulture3 Posts: 291Registered User Junior Member
    The type of shoe depends on the type of artificial surface. Our area uses a lot of "field turf" for outdoor artificial surfaces that are multiple use (soccer, football, lacrosse...) and the players can wear the same shoes they wear on real grass. These are the molded cleat, they are not allowed to use the removable metal kind no matter what the surface. But there are lots of "boots" and soccer.com is a great source; we've used it many times. I just know that turf shoes tend to NOT get used if cleats are accepted on the surface.

I can't speak to the knee injury issue. As for turf burns, my players wear them with honor; youngest is master of the slide tackle. Just clean thoroughly after every exposure and slap a layer of anti bacterial ointment on it for a bit. Standard practice at this house (just thinking about all the nasty germs percolating on that artificial surface makes this mother a little ill).
  • Opie ofMaybery2Opie ofMaybery2 Posts: 1,815- Member
    are you sure its' not "field grass?" Artifical yes, but not in the same way as older surfaces that were installed 10-20 years ago.
    (old coach speak)
    Basically, you have a soccer bag. It should have your soccer stuff in it. There is no point leaving it home. A soccer player should carry three sets of boots. Nubbies (indoor/hard surface/old astroturf) grass (field turf/natural grass) Mudders (long cleat/muddy fields). Walk the field/ then put your shoes on.

Knee injuries are more common in girls in soccer because many haven't developed the strength around their knee area to support the twists and turns on the field.

However, the wrong shoes on certain fields can increase the probability of injury. Having spent about 30 years in the game field turf is a blessing over grass/dirt fields. Most injuries occur on grass/dirt because the fields are overused and allowed to form ruts, holes and uneven playing surfaces. Dirt fields become mud fields and hide all sorts of goodies like the empty beer bottle I slide tackled into as a youth player slicing my knee wide open. Another reason to walk the field before play....
  • ChristcorpChristcorp Posts: 1,177- Member
    2 things you need to remember. Just because your school is putting in turf doesn't mean he is only going to be playing on turf. Many of the other schools may be regular hard or soft ground/grass.

My son plays a lot of soccer, but he's also into football. He uses soccer cleats for playing football also. He's a kicker, which it helps, but also a wide receiver and defensive back. Some games are played on turf, some on soft grass, some on hard grass.

My son has 2 different pairs of shoes he keeps depending on the ground he is playing on. He's been recruited to play in college and they too will give him 3-4 different pairs of shoes. Grass, Turf, and practice. My son, and the college team, swears by Nike. The "Total 90" is the preferred model. If you get just the TURF model, it's about $120. If you get one that can also be good for grass, it's about $185-$200. Or you could get both types in which case it would cost more.
  • abasketabasket Posts: 8,929Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, we use two pairs of soccer "shoes" at our house. Cleats for outdoor, "indoor" soccer shoes for indoor soccer and any turf fields. And yes, the dreaded turf turds - they end up all over my kitchen floor after his indoor games!!!!
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,181Registered User Senior Member
    Basically, you have a soccer bag. It should have your soccer stuff in it. There is no point leaving it home.

but if you have a D with a favorite sports bag- won't let mom buy a duplicate- but is on more than one sports team at a time- you have to switch out all the time.
    Its about as smart as always changing your purse ;)

we have indoor soccer- but the outdoor fields on artifical turf use same boots as on sod or dirt.
    indoor is different
    she also wears same shoes for rugby as soccer- you just can't wear baseball cleats with the nasty spike.

( oh I am going to miss going to her games)
    :(
  • abasketabasket Posts: 8,929Registered User Senior Member
    Also, depending what you're looking for - Dick's carries the turf shoes....
  • vulture3vulture3 Posts: 291Registered User Junior Member
    Get to practice to drop off man-child, who drove, as he has his permit and always wants to drive. Of course he has to wear street shoes to drive. He pops out of the car and immediately runs back to inform me he "forgot" his cleats.

Yes, the soccer bag SHOULD have the soccer gear in it. But for reasons I can't quite understand, it never does. Standard question before leaving for an away game - do you have both sets of shoes/boots (meaning regular cleats and the turf cleats he rarely uses)? No. Next question from me will be along the lines of what kind of surface are you playing on? Response will always be "I don't know". Mother's agitated response will always be something like "Take both pairs of ******* SHOES!!!"
    "but if you have a D with a favorite sports bag- won't let mom buy a duplicate- but is on more than one sports team at a time- you have to switch out all the time.
    Its about as smart as always changing your purse "

But em, if your d used her rugby bag, she not only could put all her gear in there, she could put a body inthere too.... ;)

My son took mine. It's over 35 years old and still survives everything short of a nuke.

As I said it's old coach speak... I would go through a kit bag with my players and they would carry everything. Game prep began at home. This is where coaches have more influence than parents.

As a soccer ref, you always carried with you (yellow, red, black, blue, short, long sleve) around 8-12 jerseys, 3 or 4 pairs of socks, back up whisltes,cards, extra shorts (2 pair), towels, t-shirt, compression, thermal gear...etc... when I gave up reffing, I sent two garbage bags of gear and shoes to Nigeria to find a new life. Now someone in Nigeria is complaining about the calls someone in my old jersey is making...
  • hops_scouthops_scout Posts: 3,898Registered User Senior Member
    Our school was wanting to go the Field Turf when they built the new high school. It has since been cut out of the budget due to costs. They were originally told that installing the turf would be cheaper due to the water usage being so much lower than that of natural grass. Turns out that isn't quite the case. They'd have to use water to cool the surface as well as clean it I guess.

The University of Illinois just put Field Turf on Illinois Field, their baseball field. The entire thing (except maybe the mound) is the turf surface. I wonder what they'll use for shoes on there?

Sorry to sidetrack a little bit... :)
    Normal size cleats work best on field turf. It plays like the best grass field you've ever stepped on. If installed well no need to crown the field so a true level playing field can be had.

Reffed the first game on a new HS field in my state. A player struck a ball up the line from her pentaly area depth and it rolled (slowly) about 80 yards down the line (ball has to be all the way out in soccer) as the players thought it was going out and weren't playing ... It finally was kicked out inside the other pentaly area. Not many fields with that true of a surface where a ball could roll that far.

Field turf also tends to be easier on the knees. Running two or three games on fieldturf your knees and back feel much better than the same on grass or old artie turf.

It's too bad budgets didn't allow for it at your school because the biggest advantage it offers is just about 24/7 use without noticable wear. Up here in mayberry, the grass fields are worn out from demand and never really get to rest and dirt is just gawd awful to put anybody on.
  • hops_scouthops_scout Posts: 3,898Registered User Senior Member
    Opie, one major issue they had after cost was the fact that during two-a-days they wouldn't be able to be on it! Some schools in our area have had issues with the turf getting too hot. Here at my college we've got the Field Turf on the football stadium and the soccer team plays there too. Also the baseball and softball teams are practicing there this time of year. But I know I saw one day this summer the temperature was 122 on the turf!

Somebody told me that they had a soccer player's shoe melt to her foot one year! It would have been great for soccer, football, marching band, PE, baseball and softball could have practiced on it some, etc. Oh well.. instead they'll have a soccer game field, football game field, soccer practice field, and football practice field.