Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Getting paint off jeans?

dukie11dukie11 Posts: 260Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2008 in Parent Cafe
Irresponsible college student got some paint on a pair of jeans. How to remove it? This pair is the expensive designer kind so I can't be too rough (label says machine wash cold separately do not bleach). Any suggestions?
Post edited by dukie11 on

Replies to: Getting paint off jeans?

• yayverilyyayverily Posts: 222Registered User Junior Member
    I'm a guy, so you have to take what I say with a large grain of salt.

Need to know first whether it's water-based or oil-based paint.

If it's water-based, then I'd soak in a pail of water for a long time, then rub the area of the paint with fingernails to remove the paint.

If it's oil-based, then I'd try paint thinner on the area (not the whole pair).

If the above doesn't work, go to a dry cleaner and ask them if they think they can get it out. Sometimes they have tricks (read CHEMICALS).

If none of this works and the paint spot is below the knee...hope you like your new pair of shorts!

Even I know that bleach is only for whites--it will make anything else turn white!
  • dragonmomdragonmom Posts: 4,198Registered User Senior Member
    If it's latex paint, there is a product called Goof-off that you can buy at the paint store or home depot. Test on a pair of old jeans the same color but it has worked for me. The sooner the better. Yayverily's suggestion to soak and pick at the paint first is excellent - the less to dissolve the smaller the chance of it bleeding into the surrounding fabric.
    If that doesn't work, perhaps an artistic friend could paint some kind of custom design/picture onto the jeans?
  • nngmmnngmm Posts: 5,708Registered User Senior Member
    "Goo gone" is a gentler version of "Goof off". I'd try it first if the jeans are expensive.
  • kristin5792kristin5792 Posts: 2,012Registered User Senior Member
    "Off" (in one of those metal tubes, white with red and blue writing, small twist off cap) works WONDERS for paint stains and myriad other stains.

Other than that, you could try googling it. I've never tried this, but perhaps call your local art shop? Most of the people that work at mine are the artsy type that have probably made the same mistakes before.

If none of that works, is there any way to disguise it or make the paint look cool and fashionable?

GOOD LUCK I sure do hate it when that happens.
  • thisoldmanthisoldman Posts: 1,045Registered User Member
    One of the current hot topics in the cafe happens to be oil in Alaska, and I thought of this thread.

Latex can be removed simply by reading the label of the paint container and a little common sense. The label of course says water and a type of alcohol. Water will be of limited use once the latex has dried but the alcohol (ethanol) does work and is really pretty cheap. Alcohol in gasoline in older cars is deadly because the alcohol will dissolve rubber (latex).

The second remedy is oil. Never use vasoline on latex. Which is the reason why oil will work. Start with the old standby of WD40 or a fine oil. The oil can be removed with the alcohol or detergent.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,668Registered User Senior Member
    Try scrubbing some Lesstoil into the painted area (with a scrub brush) and then soaking them overnight in Lesstoil and water and then washing them. They might fade a bit but it won't be as bad as bleach would be. Lesstoil gets grass stains and oil stains out, even after jeans have been washed and dried. It's pretty amazing.