Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is it utterly gauche to wear your high school letter jacket at college?

missypiemissypie Posts: 16,625Registered User Senior Member
edited October 2010 in Parent Cafe
We were out and about and saw a young man from the high school class of '02 in his letter jacket. Our family split along gender lines when discussing the issue. The females think that one should not wear one's HS letter jacket after high school (unless coming back for Homecoming); the males' attitude, "It's a warm coat; why not wear it?"

Is it totally gauche to wear your HS letter jacket in college? (Same way with HS class ring?)
Post edited by missypie on

Replies to: Is it utterly gauche to wear your high school letter jacket at college?

• dntw8updntw8up Posts: 1,594Registered User Senior Member
    It's probably "utterly gauche" to even own a high school letter jacket.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 23,570Registered User Senior Member
    My daughter wears her class ring, but since it's so delicate and unique, no one would know what it was if she didn't tell them.

I think a big NO to the letter jacket.
  • barronsbarrons Posts: 23,391Registered User Senior Member
    Put it away. I think it's fine to own one for what it represents but no to wearing it.
  • missypiemissypie Posts: 16,625Registered User Senior Member
    No to wearing it in HS or no to wearing it in college?
  • JHSJHS Posts: 13,771Registered User Senior Member
    If you wear it, make sure it's ironic.
  • simbasimba Posts: 6,092Registered User Senior Member
    My son would not even touch his letter jacket. Those days are over.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Posts: 24,853Registered User Senior Member
    I don't know why anyone would mind, but then I'm not into sports, so wouldn't notice something like that.
    Northstarmom, I think it's because HS is over....it's like saying, "I was a big deal last year."

Here in Texas, if you win a state championship in something (e.g., football) you can buy a ring (like a superbowl ring, only HS). I wonder if those folks wear the championships rings to college.
  • HisGraceFillsMeHisGraceFillsMe Posts: 4,512Registered User Senior Member
    I would only wear it when I go back for homecoming (and I'll probably only do that next year because after that I'll have no more good friends still at school).
  • tsdadtsdad Posts: 4,003Registered User Senior Member
    If you wear it, make sure it's ironic.

Or post ironic.

YouTube - The Qwesi: An Exploration Of Post Irony
    On the subject of letter jackets, at my kids' HS school so many people wear them...kids can earn letters not just for sports, but drill team, choir, band, cheer, academics...Back in the day, we only had boys sports and only male athletes had letter jackets. I'm very glad to see that has changed.
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 18,437Super Moderator Senior Member
    If someone wants to wear it, let him/her. No different than wearing your college's t-shirts or sweatshirts after you've graduated.
    I think there is a difference. Lots of alums wear their college gear-some even buy cars in their college colors, wear their college ring forever, etc. I don't see people doing the same with high school.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 16,303Registered User Senior Member
    My athlete son wouldn't even get one in high school! He also said no to wearing the high school ring at college.
  • doubleplaydoubleplay Posts: 3,550Registered User Senior Member
    Letter jackets are rare because of our climate (Florida)- kids aren't really interested. Rings, however, were a big deal at our high school- they had a big ceremony and all the kids filed up to the front of the auditorium to get their rings. Those that didn't buy a ring got a cheap trinket in a box. Son didn't want the ring- he asked if we'd give him the money instead. We did, and he put it toward a new guitar. He brought the guitar to college with him.