Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Cleaning Grime off Kitchen Cabinets

Beil1958Beil1958 Posts: 595Registered User Member
edited March 2008 in Parent Cafe
Just moved into a 'new' house. I like the light maple cabinets--they are 10 years old and in very good shape, with one exception. Cabinets have serious finger prints and other grime--appears to be greasy in some cases--near the handles of the most used cabinets. The more I observe them at various times of day/amounts of light, the more it bothers me! I've tried Murphy's Oil Soap and plain soap and water, with very limited (read: NO) results. Just wondering if anybody here has any experience/suggestions before I go out and buy every cleaning product in the supermarket!!?? Really don't want to change them, just get them clean!
Post edited by Beil1958 on

Replies to: Cleaning Grime off Kitchen Cabinets

• dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,749Registered User Senior Member
    I've used Orange Glo. I've also used dish detergent on a moist cloth. The Orange Glo works better but the fumes make me dizzy.
  • carsonmomcarsonmom Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    Cabinet Magic. Works great. Hides scratches too.
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Posts: 1,955Registered User Senior Member
    Rubbing alcohol cuts grease and some stains-ink-like nothing else. Test the finish in an inconspicious place first. My cabinets are varnished, and works well to clean fingerprints, if a bit tedious.
  • violadadvioladad Posts: 6,641Registered User Senior Member
    Murphy's Oil Soap should work. Use the concentrate mixed a bit stronger to cut through the heavy stuff. Keep water hot. Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser in conjunction should do wonders. I would definately suggest removing the handles/knobs as well. A bit more time consuming, but you have a clearer field of work area, and you can let the handles soak and they should be easier to clean if you intend on keeping rather than replacing the hardware.

Try Simple green in concentrate mixed strongly if you have too. I've never had issues using Murphy's, and on some very nasty cabinets.
  • NovelistoNovelisto Posts: 2,955Registered User Member
    Well, if none of these excellent suggestions works, go down to your local hardware store and ask for TSP (Tri-Sodium-Phosphate). Mix according to the directions and wash the cabinets with a sponge. Use gloves as the mixture, though not harmful, is rough on your hands and if you have a hangnail it will sting like crazy.

My father worked in rehabbing houses and this is what he swore by to remove grease on cabinets. It also works on painted walls, for instance, above a stove.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Posts: 6,673Registered User Senior Member
    I agree you should try a Magic Eraser. These are pretty amazing. Also, they are easy to use and not stinky.

Also, Lesstoil will get grease off out of jeans even after they have been through the washer and the dryer. Lesstoil might work. My family objects to the smell of Lesstoil when I am using it, though. I have to warn them in advance and open all the windows. :-)
  • mom60mom60 Posts: 5,650Registered User Senior Member
    Another fan of Orange Glo. I recently hired a new housecleaner. She used Orange Glo on my maple kitchen cabinets and they look brand new. You can buy Orange Glo at OSH. Home Depot also sells their own brand of Citrus Degreaser.
  • citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom Posts: 13,158- Senior Member
    I just paint over them
  • frazzled1frazzled1 Posts: 4,998Registered User Senior Member
    A friend of mine is a retired paint/wall paper store owner, and he swears by TSP. Though I thought it was illegal in some areas? My friend has a lifetime supply put aside, and when I want to clean my walls, he gives me a jar from his stash. If I could have been finding it at True Value all these years, I'll have to kid him about it. :)
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 15,029Registered User Senior Member
    I though I had bought TSP at Lowes. Isn't that what they recommend for washing cabinets before you paint them?
  • My Sweet BabbooMy Sweet Babboo Posts: 401Registered User Member
    I use Fantastik Orange Action on my very light maple cabinets and it does a great job. Spray on - wipe off.

I would be cautious using TPS as an all-purpose cabinet cleaner since it can darken wood and degloss the surface.
  • NovelistoNovelisto Posts: 2,955Registered User Member
    "Real TSP" was contributing to algae blooms in water systems so that may be what your friend is hoarding, frazzled...they came up with a new formulation that is half regular TSP and half TSP substitute but which works just as well.

Yes, it can degloss but not if you use it according to instructions and dilute it properly. It shouldn't darken light maple but test it in an inconspicuous place like the back of a door or the underside of a cabinet first.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,543Registered User Senior Member
    Also try a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, and rub with very very very fine steel wood.
  • bulletandpimabulletandpima Posts: 9,826Registered User Senior Member
    Believe it or not turpentine(light amount) with a clean white towel will do the trick...you can also use very very very fine steel wool, the wood will actually come out sparkling!, all of the gunk is gone and it will look brand new
  • 2cakes2cakes Posts: 362Registered User Junior Member
    I use mineral spirits to degrease paneling and cabinetry. Test it on the inside of a door to make sure the finish isn't damaged.