Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Thank you/goodbye presents for counselors & teachers

TuitionsaverTuitionsaver Posts: 270Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2008 in Parent Cafe
As the end of the school year approaches (gulp!) I have been thinking about giving my daughter's counselors and (close) teachers a token of our (her) appreciation for ALL they have done for her.
I am asking for recommendations & suggestions.
If this has been discussed in another trend, would you please direct me there?
Thanks!
Post edited by Tuitionsaver on

Replies to: Thank you/goodbye presents for counselors & teachers

• JEMJEM Posts: 6,376Super Moderator Senior Member
    When my D graduated from high school I wrote a letter to the school board thanking them for her experiences in the district schools. I specifically made comments about the work done on her behalf by her guidance counselor and several teachers who had had an impact on her. I sent a copy to the principal of the high school -- and hoped that he would forward copies to the staff members named.

I really think that is the most meaningful thing that you can do - or to write (and/or for your child to write) personal notes to those teachers thanking them for their work.

Other years I have made jam and given that out to teachers. I have also given notecards on subjects of interest (for example, notecards with Shakespeare quotes to a lit teacher). I try to avoid anything that will just take up space in a closet or might be considered excessive.
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 35,767Registered User Senior Member
    I have had a breakfast basket of juice, muffins, croissants, etc delivered to the college counselors office first thing in the morning. They really appreciated it!
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 35,767Registered User Senior Member
    *** I also showed up with a big flower arrangement one year for the counselor. This yrs counselor is a guy. He probably won't appreciate flowers.
  • jack4640jack4640 Posts: 1,020- Member
    I got books for the teachers I was close to. Related to their subject but with a personal touch - like my APUSH teacher really liked Teddy Roosevelt, so I got him the new TR biography. I wrote a little note inside thanking them for everything they did.
  • mafoolmafool Posts: 6,453Registered User Senior Member
    Whatever else you choose to do, consider writing a letter of praise to the principal and school board and copy the teacher/GC.

Food delivered to the teachers' break room is always appreciated. Did that even back in elementary school: big plate of cookies, a popcorn can (surprisingly well received), etc.

And now that decisions are in, it is thoughtful to write a note to all who wrote recommendations. Share with them the results and thank them for being an instrumental part of your D's success.
  • mafoolmafool Posts: 6,453Registered User Senior Member
    jym626- he might appreciate a big fruit basket, instead!
  • kristin5792kristin5792 Posts: 2,012Registered User Senior Member
    My favorite science teacher retired after way too many years teaching and we were his last class. He was not very shy about admitting that I was his all-time favorite student (an honor, but always made me feel bad!) in the middle of class. He told me once that he was looking forward to playing golf a lot more once he retired, so I got him this awesome coffee table book of golf courses around the world and wrote something in the cover. Seems kind of full circle, what with the student giving the teacher the book :)
  • mom2threemom2three Posts: 810Registered User Member
    As a teacher I have received gift cards, etc., and they are always very much appreciated. Personal notes from the students last forever. Teachers don't always realize the impact they have. I've received a couple of notes over the years that have helped keep me in the classroom when times got rough.
    I've received notes from parents, and those are also very meaningful.
  • lje62lje62 Posts: 3,557Registered User Senior Member
    I sent in Swedish chocolates when my kids got accepted into their colleges to their guidance counselor. I never thought to for the teachers who wrote rec letters
  • nymom2sonsnymom2sons Posts: 266Registered User Junior Member
    lets see... when S1 was a senior and was accepted to his ED school, he gave the 2 teachers who wrote recs for him gifts. He gave the history teacher a copy of the bestseller (at the time) "John Adams", and the Spanish teacher a collection of stationary papers (she's a very traditional, proper lady, and seemed to be the kind of person to write handwritten notes). We sent his GC a huge arrangement of flowers to her office. When he returned home for Thanksgiving Freshman year, he also brought her a stuffed bear from his college. In 10th grade, his bio teacher retired, and he made a video of photos of thee class, the school, and tributes from other students. When his 7th grade SS teacher retired after 35 years, he ordered a US Flag flown over the capitol on her last day of teaching. You get a certificate of authenticity, and an "in honor of...." letter with it. The guidance counselor is particularly close to both my boys (S2 is a junior now), so I always remember her pre-school kids at the holidays, etc. This year I knit them winter hats!