Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

When Teachers Go Wild...

Roger_DooleyRoger_Dooley Posts: 106,143Founder Senior Member
edited May 2008 in Parent Cafe
Facebook and Myspace pages are causing problems for teachers who reveal too much...
When Young Teachers Go Wild on the Web
Public Profiles Raise Questions of Propriety and Privacy

By Ian Shapira
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, April 28, 2008

It's almost like Googling someone: Log on to Facebook. Join the Washington, D.C., network. Search the Web site for your favorite school system. And then watch the public profiles of 20-something teachers unfurl like gift wrap on the screen, revealing a sense of humor that can be overtly sarcastic or unintentionally unprofessional -- or both.

Gotta love the closing quote from an elementary school teacher who was quite specific about her, ummm, dating habits:
Asked about the page, Espinosa said: "I never thought about parents and kids [seeing it] before. That's all I'm going to say."

Duhhh...

washingtonpost.com
Post edited by Roger_Dooley on

Replies to: When Teachers Go Wild...

• HeddaHedda Posts: 84Registered User Junior Member
    This is a tough one. As a teacher, I make no apologies for having a facebook or MySpace page. I have reconnected with former students, and old high school and college friends that have fallen away.

We are people, and frankly, we are all kinds of people. Not all teachers are as bright as you would like them to be...as is the case with all professionals. Somebody had to graduate last in the class, whether it was your doctor, lawyer, accountant, or your child's teacher...
  • churningchurning Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    I have to agree with Hedda, but add, "this is worthless without pictures", lol.
  • imaparasiteimaparasite Posts: 321- Junior Member
    It's always best to keep a certain degree of anonimity on the internet.. seems like common sense, but obviously sometimes forgotten. =/
  • nngmmnngmm Posts: 5,708Registered User Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with teachers and professors being on Facebook/Myspace/etc., but they should think of what they choose to post there (as should the students).
  • hazelorbhazelorb Posts: 3,106Registered User Senior Member
    they should just make it private, duhh
  • la2pghla2pgh Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    As far as I know, 3 teachers at my school have facebook pages. One of them refuses to friend a student until they graduate. The trick is not to be stupid (that goes for students and teachers). Don't post any inappropriate stuff. It's that simple.
  • jude_36jude_36 Posts: 543Registered User Member
    I knew a teacher who was outraged when people complained about the crude content on her Myspace page. She said that what she does in school is all that matters, and her private life is private. Well, um, yeah, until you make it PUBLIC by creating a page with nude pictures and comments about your lifestyle, drunken pictures, etc.

I'm all for privacy, but apparently lots of people think 'privacy' means 'I can do what I want and you have no right to have an opinion about it'.
  • worknprogressworknprogress Posts: 1,536Registered User Member
    The teacher who refuses to "friend" a student until they graduate is very wise. In this day and age when a teacher's career can be abruptly ended by the hint of impropriety, it is foolish to become to familiar with a current student.

I think facebook/myspace are great, when used with some not so common sense.
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,519Registered User Senior Member
    How can the "internet generation" be so stupid?

If you want your privacy, don't post your life online and leave your privacy settings where the world can see it.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Posts: 22,732Registered User Senior Member
    It isn't just a problem with teachers. Anyone, including students, are at risk when posting private info online. Especially info that can be used against you. There was a doctor who lost a major law suit because he was foolish enough to post about his case online.

I cringe when I see some of these blogs that have turned into private diaries gone public. I think some of the writers forget that ANYONE can be reading those entries. And anyone can lift your pictures and put your face on the back end of a donkey somewhere. There are risks for everyone when they go online.

I'm really not happy with so many highschool kids now going onto face book and myspace. Some of them are really too young to understand possible consequences.
  • worknprogressworknprogress Posts: 1,536Registered User Member
    I think colleges/grad schools would be wise to offer seminars to students on professional behavior/etiquette/etc. In my profession, I see so many bright and well intentioned young people who just don't seem to understand the ramifications of posting on Facebook. They think they are protected if they limit settings to private. They don't seem to understand that offers very little real protection.

Someone needs to tell the teacher referred to in post #8 that she is a public servant and her behavior is subject to evaluation whenever she is in public.

Recently a student teacher was not granted her certificate because of behavior that was posted on her myspace. She has sued the university and the commonwealth, but regardless of the outcome, it will be a VERY long time until she is hired.

I really feel sorry for these young adults who are basically good people but who are pretty immature.
  • CutTheCrapolaCutTheCrapola Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
    anyone got any female teachers provacative pages?
    i know someone know some
  • JohnC613JohnC613 Posts: 1,580Registered User Senior Member
    teachers can have their own lives out of school
    they shouldn't post offensive and lewd stuff not just because of their profession, but primarily because they're being immature as adults
  • momreadsmomreads Posts: 2,714Registered User Senior Member
    One of our top teachers has a Facebook page, and all our kids know it. Everyone is her friend!!!! Sometimes, they post looking for homework assignments they've missed. Sometimes, they have graduated and want to reconnect. She is also the FCA sponsor, so her FCA group works with her in posting on that page. I find nothing wrong with what she does.

Now, I will mention that her students are not as professional as she is. She sees their news feed on her page, and yes, there are some "f" bombs or risky photos. The best one was when one of her students was ripping on her assignments. My son, who is one of her friends, read when he said. We both laughed. And I'm sure she saw it, too.