Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Pages to Word (Mac to PC)

latetoschoollatetoschool Posts: 3,143Registered User Member
edited July 2008 in Parent Cafe
I searched the other threads but cannot find this - if I am creating a document in Pages on my new Mac, am I correct in assuming that I will simply be able to send it to myself via email, and then open it in Word on my PC in my office Monday morning?

Thanks in advance for any help..
Post edited by latetoschool on

Replies to: Pages to Word (Mac to PC)

• emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 31,146Registered User Senior Member
    I do not know- theoretically of course that should work, but I only have Macs, don't use Word, but I do also have NeoOffice & sometimes when we are sent documents made in MSOffice, the formatting stays better with NeoOffice.

But you can always try it out before Monday.
  • nysmilenysmile Posts: 5,848Registered User Senior Member
    I'm a new Mac user myself and I found this out the hard way. When you're in your Pages document, go to FILE, scroll down to EXPORT (click on it), and then you will see a screen that gives you choices. Click on WORD which will "CREATE A WORD DOCUMENT THAT CAN BE OPENED AND EDITED WITH MICROSOFT WORD." It makes a copy of it that is Word friendly. In your document folder, you'll see the document saved both as .Pages and .Doc. Email the .Doc file to a windows pc user. Otherwise, I don't think you can open the file on a windows computer. It's a pain but you get used to it after a while. I ended up installing Office Word for Mac and use it more than Pages
  • latetoschoollatetoschool Posts: 3,143Registered User Member
    Thanks, I see how to do that. As backup, I can paste the entire text into an email I suppose....
    You don't have to paste. Just create your email in your email account and choose and attach the document that you want to send (as an attachment). Just make sure you choose the document saved as Doc. (word)
    I get that much - I just am worried that I will not be able to open the document once at my PC....
    As long as you email the doc. (word) file, it should work. Good luck. As I said, I'm new to converting from PC to Mac (got my black mac about a month ago) and at times find myself going through Windows Withdrawal. lol.
  • momof2incamomof2inca Posts: 3,484Registered User Senior Member
    nysmile is correct in this, LTS. I often create documents at home on my very new MacBook, which defaults to save it in the latest MSWord format (.dotx). If I want to be able to open it at work on my less new MacBook, I must remember to save the document as a .doc file before I attach it to an email and send it off.

But... there is a way to change the default so that you don't have to remember that extra step. Just go into "preferences," click on "save" which is under "outputting and sharing" row, and pull down the menu that says "Word 97-2004 doc." Click save and that's it. Every page/document will be able to be opened by a PC or older mac.

I just did it for my MacBook. :)
    momof2inca, that works when you're using Word for Mac, but I was under the impression that she was using Pages. If she's using Pages, I think she still has do the steps previously listed regarding "export".
    Yes, it's Pages...
  • momof2incamomof2inca Posts: 3,484Registered User Senior Member
    Oh, sorry! I'm not familiar with Pages and assumed you were talking about Word.
    Just try the steps that I mentioned earlier. In Pages, go to FILE, scroll down to EXPORT, choose WORD and it will save to the doc. format which can be opened up on a windows based PC. Again, make sure you send the saved DOC version rather than the Pages version. Play around with it and try it a few times. It should work.
  • mootmommootmom Posts: 4,162Registered User Senior Member
    LTS, if you'd like to test it out this weekend, send me a PM -- you can create a nonsense document in Pages, export it the way you think should work for a PC user, email it to me at the email address I'll provide you, and I'll try it out in Word for you.

Awaiting your PM...
    Mootmom, thank you, I will clear out some space in PMs and do so tomorrow, o.k.?
  • mootmommootmom Posts: 4,162Registered User Senior Member
    I'll be watching for your PM.
    Hi Mootmom...PM sent..