Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Need song suggestions for Grandmother's 90th birthday

MaryTNMaryTN Posts: 648Registered User Member
edited August 2008 in Parent Cafe
My Polish Grandmother is turning 90 in July. She still drives and loves to argue politics (she's a NY Dem). It's going to be a great party.

My three kids (13, 16, and 19) all sing -- two low sopranos and and a tenor.

They are willing to perform, but we are having trouble finding a song. Any ideas?
Post edited by MaryTN on

Replies to: Need song suggestions for Grandmother's 90th birthday

• Splatter SpreeSplatter Spree Posts: 144Registered User Junior Member
    does she like traditional polish songs?
  • soozievtsoozievt Posts: 29,021Registered User, ! Senior Member
    I posted some suggestions for you in the MT Forum.
  • MaryTNMaryTN Posts: 648Registered User Member
    does she like traditional polish songs?
    I'm sure she would enjoy one in theory but I doubt the lyric/accent strangling done by my kids would make for a very nice song. :)
  • dragonmomdragonmom Posts: 4,150Registered User Senior Member
    Maybe a medley of songs from different decades of her life? (OK, you can ignore the mid 80's or later unless there are songs you know she will recognize.) Or just concentrate on a Sinatra collection. How nice that your kids will sing for her - I"m sure she'll be thrilled no matter what.
  • dudedaddudedad Posts: 1,927Registered User Senior Member
    Some 90 year olds I know are diggin Rod Stewart singing Sinatra. Doesn't make sense, does it?
  • rrahrrah Posts: 1,600Registered User Senior Member
    My Polish grandmother would have turned 92 this July. In the 70"s there was a popular Polish American singer named Bobby Vinton. My grandmother loved him and actually purchased his albums. (The grandchildren all thought this was quite funny.) His song "My Melody of Love" was a top hit in 1974. Part of it was in Polish. A quick google search showed it was on youtube, and I did find the words online.

Perhaps the kids could pick it up from youtube and just sing the chorus?
  • WashDadWashDad Posts: 2,695Registered User Member
    Does she have a good sense of humor? "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees.
  • paying3tuitionspaying3tuitions Posts: 13,328Super Moderator Senior Member
    Can you take liberties with the Frank Sinatra song, "When I was l7" to make it sound as if written for a girl, "When she was l7, it was a very good year...

How about the Beatles, "You say it's your birthday, you're gonna have a good time"

There's a very sentimental birthday song that used to be sung on a children's tv show in Canada by Eric Nagler.

It's just perfect.
    (sung to the melody of the Merry Widow Waltz)

Happy birthday, happy birthday
    We love you.

Happy birthday, and may all your
    Dreams come true.

When you blow out the candles
    One light stays aglow

It's the love light in your eyes
    Where e'er you go.

It sounds like a lullabye and a good way to end any raucous set of birthday tunes.
    Everyone will cry. If she can dance, she can even waltz to it. Or have the younger people waltz in front of her, while others sing.
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 35,391Registered User Senior Member
    Washdad-
    LOL!
    I heard on TV today that someone is doing a remake of Burt Bachrach songs. Maybe one of his songs might be appropriate?
    (I was thinking something like "The look of love", not "What's new, pussycat"!)
  • paying3tuitionspaying3tuitions Posts: 13,328Super Moderator Senior Member
    Pete Seeger,
    Chorus:
    How do I know my youth is all spent
    My get up and go has got up and went
    But in spite of it all
    I'm able to grin
    And think of the places
    My get-up has been.

There are many verses. It's a hoot. One is about waking up, reading the obituaries, seeing you're not dead, so you eat a good breakfast and go back to bed.
  • Karen CollegesKaren Colleges Posts: 1,751Registered User Senior Member
    'Seasons of Love' from Rent would be lovely, except there are a of couple references to 'the way that she lived, and the way that she died....' Can anyone think of anything similar to that one? The melody is beautiful.

I'm trying to brainstorm on this, the only thing else that is coming to mind are songs from Disney films.

What about 'What a wonderful world'.? by Louis Armstrong.

Thanks P3T, now I need to go listen to the Pete Seeger song.
  • MentalHealerMentalHealer Posts: 6. New Member
    Paul Van Dyke - For an Angel
  • nymom2sonsnymom2sons Posts: 266Registered User Junior Member
    Frank Sinatra - You Make Me Feel So Young.

We used this at my son's Bar Mitzvah candelighting ceremony for my grandmother -- she was 92 at the time -- and the DJ said it was the best choice he'd ever seen for a great-grandma candle!
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Posts: 1,889Registered User Senior Member
    From her youth-my mom loves this song, and would be fun worked up in harmony.

Mairzy Doats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Splatter SpreeSplatter Spree Posts: 144Registered User Junior Member
    or a james brown song