Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How difficult is it to cut memory foam?

woohoo!!!!!!woohoo!!!!!! Posts: 309Registered User Junior Member
edited July 2008 in Parent Cafe
title says it all...

just wondering because i found a topper on overstock that looks good, but its the same price for king size as twin size!

the topper is four inches thick.

thanks!
Post edited by woohoo!!!!!! on

Replies to: How difficult is it to cut memory foam?

• LongPrimeLongPrime Posts: 5,208- Senior Member
    Not difficult.
    1) Like skinning a cow. Very sharp knife. Cut edges will however not be clean. But we were not too concern because the pad would not be seen.
    2) We took second topper to a quilt/upholstery shop where they used a saber/jig saw for cutting.
  • momfirstmomfirst Posts: 131Registered User Junior Member
    Try using an electric knife
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 19,460Super Moderator Senior Member
    We used an exacto knife.
  • woohoo!!!!!!woohoo!!!!!! Posts: 309Registered User Junior Member
    awesome, thanks!
  • WashDadWashDad Posts: 2,695Registered User Member
    I used my band saw, but that may not work for everyone...
  • dragonmomdragonmom Posts: 4,284Registered User Senior Member
    Use 2 big straight flat things about 6 inches apart to press it flat in the middle (2 yardsticks, 2x4's, garden bean poles, etc.) then cut with x-acto knife or even scissors between the 2. Scissors make a jagged mess of the edge, but they were what was at hand and once the bedding is on, nobody saw.
    If I ever do it again, it's the sabre saw, for sure.
  • OKgirlOKgirl Posts: 2,134Registered User Senior Member
    They do cut easily. You are going to love your purchase! I recommend getting a cover for the actual pad or getting one for the mattress because I think it helps to reduce the heat. A mattress one might be better because mine tends to shift around and it can be hard to move.
  • over30over30 Posts: 2,411Registered User Senior Member
    My mother used my electric knife to cut thick foam for pillows and it worked very well, although the edges were a little ragged. I'm sure it would work well for memory foam as well.
  • woohoo!!!!!!woohoo!!!!!! Posts: 309Registered User Junior Member
    ok, one more question:

how do you transport the memory foam from home to college? I'm driving, so space will be at a premium.

can the memory foam shrink back down to its original size?
  • LongPrimeLongPrime Posts: 5,208- Senior Member
    The cell critters don't like to be REcompressed and do everything possible to resist you. Personally I don't think the cells are that smart to make a choice.

Memory pads do not have a migratory impulse or a homing memory, thus you can ship the foam to the school rather than carry it in your car. The pads do have a certain new oder to them that is quite pronounced in an enclosed space. Some of the pads have gone through a special procedure, not to mentioned here, that make some brands smell better.

the pads that I have bought from Overstock have come in different density and thickness. I'd prefer the 3" and higher density.
  • seiclanseiclan Posts: 4,179Registered User Senior Member
    Check out this site:

slow recovery foam mattress, queen or king size cover, latex matresses and toppers,

Just received the 2" Latex Topper and it is AWESOME. BTW - The memory foam one tends to get hot when you sleep (because you sink into it...it holds in your body heat).
  • seiclanseiclan Posts: 4,179Registered User Senior Member
    No, Latex toppers don't sleep hot. They are wonderful!
  • ChiSquareChiSquare Posts: 746Registered User Member
    seiclan, I'd previously purchased memory foam mattress toppers and gave them away due to the "heat up factor". So you don't have the same problem with the Latex topper? I need to look for that, I guess.
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 19,460Super Moderator Senior Member
    Be careful with Latex toppers. I've known of people who have developed serious latex allergies (or discovered them) from Latex toppers.
  • OKgirlOKgirl Posts: 2,134Registered User Senior Member
    My memory foam only had an odor when I opened it. After it aired out for 2 days, I've never noticed the smell. My mom also has one and has had the same experience as me. Maybe the more expensive ones don't smell as much? I hope my new one won't smell since it is a cheaper brand. I think that having a cover on it might also really helps with the odor.

Transporting them can be pretty difficult since they are heavy and hard to move. I plan on opening the one for my dorm about 2 weeks before I move. I will then probably try to roll it up and stick it in a box. I really don't know what else could be done. You really need to let it open itself and air out for the 24 hours, and I would not recommend doing that in a dorm room.