Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Help! Oldest daughter going off to college. We need support

BusyMomof4BusyMomof4 Posts: 77Registered User New Member
edited August 2010 in Parent Cafe
My daughter and oldest child is going to college six hours away. I've been so happy and excited for her and have not been sad up until now. She's leaving in three weeks and I am ridiculously sad. I've held it together, but then yesterday, she broke down and cried and said "i'll miss you Mommy" and I've been down ever since. Does anyone have any advice on how to manage the next few months? Any experience with what to expect? We've always been very close, but she's been away from home before and we've managed. I feel like our lives are changing now. I've heard people describe what happens the first few months (poor communication etc.) and wonder if anyone had any ideas on how to make the transition as smooth as possible?
Post edited by BusyMomof4 on

Replies to: Help! Oldest daughter going off to college. We need support

• mominvamominva Posts: 2,263Registered User Senior Member
    When the first one went away she set me up with IM. I would log on daily but not initiate contact, I would wait for her to 'talk' first.
    Did the same for second child; saw some interesting away messages over the years!!
    This time around it seems Facebook has replaced IM. I do not have an account (not sure if my kids would 'friend' me) but we make good use of our unlimited texting on our family share phones. This feature is particularly useful with different time zones and/or different sleep schedules.
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,988Registered User Senior Member
    {{{{hugs}}}

You will survive. It will probably be a lot harder on you than on her. My daughter and I keep in touch a lot by text. I can text her when a thought I want to share crosses my mind without worrying about disturbing her in class or whatever she is doing. Seems like a good way to keep in touch without being over intrusive (as long as you don't send 1000 texts a day).
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    Agree with mominva--IM can provide daily contact. Just keep it short. Also, if I found anything cute in the newspaper or at the store, I'd send it. Tried to send something 3 times a week. Trust me, it wasn't for the benefit of D--it was for my benefit! After the first year, I was back to normal.

But I noticed that when she brought her stuff home from college (she graduated in June), she had a little box in which she kept all of the things I had sent her in her first year.

Looks like parents aren't the only ones who miss family that first year.
  • pmrlcommpmrlcomm Posts: 2,235- Senior Member
    I found that we kept in fairly consistent contact at first but as time moved on she got into her stuff and life continued for us. We missed her dearly but it all worked out. She was a daddy's girl and we were pals. It was terribly difficult but when you visit (she is 5 hours away) you know it is worth it because when you left her at the beginning of the year she was tearful and afraid. A couple of months later she will be maturing into a woman and you will see the changes (for the better) that have come with independence. Hang in there... It will work be ok.
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,988Registered User Senior Member
    ^^^ My husband loves to send cartoons from the paper when they strike him as being relevant to our daughter in some way. She kept them and even had some on her dorm door. We also send the odd card or stuff at times like finals. I sent some stress relief shower gel, lotion and spray last finals.
  • chintzychintzy Posts: 604Registered User Member
    BusyMom, you should definitely plan something to look forward to after she leaves. Reconnect with an old friend, plan a weekend getaway, take an adult ed class, whatever makes you happy. I'm sure there's a lot of activity going on right now around getting her ready for college, and it will help to have something to alleviate the let down.

Sounds like you two have a great relationship!
  • astrophysicsmomastrophysicsmom Posts: 4,326Registered User Senior Member
    From mid July to when we took her to school last year, I would become emotional at many inopportune times....(wow, how your mind can wander). I lost it when we said our final goodbyes (only when I saw my husband hugging and whispering things to her)....but amazingly, after we left and we all got into ou r new swing of things, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Especially if things go well for your daughter (she likes her roommates, classes are good, meets a lot of people right away), it makes it SO much easier. I was able to accept that she had moved on to a new phase of her life (and really DIDN;T need me to offer helpful hints over her shoulder at EVERY move, ha ha), and since we always had great communication, I was really able to image her in her new lifestyle when we talked. We IM'ed, and text-messaged each other a LOT (especially first semester.)....and I agree on the sending things....silly stuff from the newspaper to a bona fide care package. And as far as I've seen on CC, college girls DO love to get mail, too!

p.s. and you'll be able to notice the changes in the dynamics between you and the kids still at home! It's amazing how quickly you get settled into "new" routines.
  • sjmomof2sjmomof2 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    I am in the same boat as the OP. We knew this day would be coming, we planned and prepped for it. Now, I just want time to slow down just a little bit.
  • BusyMomof4BusyMomof4 Posts: 77Registered User New Member
    Thanks for all of your kind words. I really had no idea I would get as emotional as I am. It's like it's been pent up inside of me and has now burst out! astrophysicsmom - it sounds like it started at around the same time for you - so maybe the timing is commong? I just need people to tell me it will be okay - through their own experiences. So many of my friends can't wait for their child to leave and just can't relate to how I feel. Did anyone do anything special to send their child off or to commemorate their last days? We text a lot now, so that should be an easy continuation for us. She and I have worked so hard to get to this day and now I really want the time to drag. I want a few more vacations, a few more shopping days, a few more lunches..just more time! Will things really change as much as I dread? Ahh..I'm a mess! I'm not sharing this craziness with my daughter, so thank you CCers for letting me share it here!
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,335Registered User Senior Member
    Did anyone do anything special to send their child off or to commemorate their last days?

No, and having had two former freshmen in the family, I would advise against it. It only intensifies a situation that may already be a considerable source of pressure for the student.
  • cartera45cartera45 Posts: 12,141Registered User Senior Member
    I"m right there with you BusyMom - I am a single parent whose only kid leaves in 3 weeks. At this point, I can't imagine driving off without her but I know I will do it and I will have to focus on how happy she will be. I loved every minute of college even though I was a bit homesick at the beginning. I keep reminding myself of those years. She and I are doing a spa mini vacation for a few days before she leaves. We're going to a place where the two of us have been going since she was 6 and it has always been special. I may cry when we leave there too.
  • mominvamominva Posts: 2,263Registered User Senior Member
    BusyMom,
    I DO understand where you are coming from, you just can't get those babies back.
    Nonetheless, each of our kids were so ornery by departure time that the family motto became 'Don't let the door hit you in the behind on your way out!'. And the siblings on the other end of the bickering heard 'She/he will be gone soon!'
    But these held true even for the last one, for by then the older two had graduated and moved back to become our housemates.
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,535Registered User Senior Member
    Thank heavens for e-mail, IM and cell phones! How did our parents handle it with one phone call per week on the hall pay phone?

Here's what I did when my oldest left for college, and I stole this idea from someone else on CC (I don't remember who so I'm sorry I can't give credit): About 2 weeks after DS left for college, I hosted a wine-and-dessert party for about 5 couples who had all sent a freshman off to college. They were actually all the parents of DS's friends and we had become friendly through the years with our sons being in some of the same EC's. All of us still had younger kids left at home, so I called it a "Semi-Empty Nest" party. At first we all talked about taking the kids to school, and told funny move-in stories, and marveled that our boys had suddenly become so self-sufficient. Then the conversation moved on to things about ourselves. We had such a good time, we repeated the event twice throughout the year. It reminded us that we were all in the same boat, and we all knew each other's kid so it gave us a chance to talk about our kids and their growing years, which was really helpful when we missed them so much.

You'll be surprised how well you'll adjust to her being gone. But just when you get used to it, they come home on break. Then they leave again, and you miss them all over again!
  • mamabear1234mamabear1234 Posts: 2,998Registered User Senior Member
    My oldest D will be going off soon too. There will be no tears and sadness from her, she is so ready to go. She was gone 5 weeks last summer, and we barely heard from her, so a phone call or two a week is all I am expecting. The hardest part for me is the saying goodbye, once we are through that I think I'll be fine. With 2 other teenagers at home to occupy me, it won't be too quiet around here, but I will do a lot of private worrying.
  • GeorgiatwinsGeorgiatwins Posts: 444Registered User Member
    Busymom,
    Do you secretly live at our house? D and S will be leaving in less than 4 weeks and I feel like it is all I can do sometimes to "hold it together". S seems reasonably calm and excited, but our D is very nervous which ratchets up my emotions ten-fold. I have literally bookmarked this page-the 24 hour rule will probably serve DH and I well. I totally understand how you feel. My mom used to say, This too shall pass" -hopefully the coming month will find us seeing our children enjoying this transition so we can be more at ease with this change. Hugs to you and your D.