Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Cell Phone Won't Ring OOS!

cnp55cnp55 Posts: 3,381Registered User Senior Member
edited October 2008 in Parent Cafe
I'm having a problem with my Verizon cell phone -- and since there's such a broad range of talents and experience here on CC -- I'm asking you guys for help!

My cell phone won't ring when I am out of state. I get texts, I get voice mails, and I can make calls -- but don't call ME cuz it won't ring.

I first noticed this in May. Although, with bad zones and not a lot of traveling, who knows when it really started. It took me quite a while to figure out the pattern -- that it was roaming related and simply wouldn't receive calls when I am across the state line.

I have switched phones -- on the new every two plan. I have updated my roaming, per my own idea and per the Verizon techie who had nothing else to offer. My kids are both on the family share plan with me and *their* phones are just fine. Old phone, new phone, same problem.

I can be holding my phone in my hand and if I am out of state I will get a voice mail, or a text message, but no incoming calls. And it doesn't seem to be bad zones -- I can call right out with 4-5 bars.

Any ideas???
Post edited by cnp55 on

Replies to: Cell Phone Won't Ring OOS!

• Singersmom07Singersmom07 Posts: 3,185Registered User Senior Member
    You say you updated your roaming, but did you try *28 to update while you were roaming? It might help. Doesn't make sense that the others work and you don't but who knows..
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 Posts: 3,185Registered User Senior Member
    Whoops typed wrong - it's *228.
  • DeniseCDeniseC Posts: 858Registered User Member
    Do you have an option of specifying a different ring tone when you are roaming? Could it be set to silent while you are roaming?
  • snowballsnowball Posts: 2,230Registered User Senior Member
    I would call tech support again and ask for a level one tech, or whatever Verizon calls their head techs. I bet the one you got last time just didn't knowvwhat to do and gave up. I bet it is a real simple fix for the right tech!
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 16,326Registered User Senior Member
    They probably need to reset you with the Verizon system. Agree with the advice to call tech support and demand the level above Idiot!
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 18,453Super Moderator Senior Member
    When I had OOS problems with my phone, it was a faulty SIM card. Since the SIM card may transfer from phone to phone so you can keep your phone lists, the problem will follow you when you upgrade. They gave me a new SIM card and transferred the data over, and my problem was solved.
  • NewHope33NewHope33 Posts: 6,208Registered User Senior Member
    Um, I don't think Verizon phones have SIM cards. (Which means you HAVE to contact Verizon when you change phones, but that's another topic.) In any case, I agree with snowball -- you got a bad tech. I think the "fix" will be straightforward. Either there will be a small change to the phone you have, or you'll get a replacement phone.

PS, I bought a spare phone on eBay in case a family member dropped theirs into a puddle. One did, and the Verizon tech I got was able to activate the spare phone remotely. So I know there are some good techs at Verizon.
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 18,453Super Moderator Senior Member
    Um, I don't think Verizon phones have SIM cards.
    Sorry, didn't know that.
    I have chatted with a few Verizon people who said you might, 1-be on an old plan than would send all roaming calls to voice mail, or 2- your follow-me-roaming is turned off.

Because your other lines work correctly, I would bet it is your roaming that is the issue and should be a quick fix!

Call tech support again or try this link:
    Mountain Wireless-The *18 (Star18) Command

Hope you have success; let us know how it turns out.
    I am curious, were you able to get your phone straightened out?
  • cnp55cnp55 Posts: 3,381Registered User Senior Member
    I've tried the *18 ... but haven't been out of state yet. We do live fairly close to the line so when I get a free minute I will buzz over and see if the phone will ring.

I've not had the time to call Verizon, or to go in to a Verizon store. I will finally have a day off on Friday so I can work on it then.

The huge problem of course is that the last six weeks I have either been working from 8 am to 6:30 pm ... or traveling and literally have not had a free day. It's a problem with more than just the phone business ... and the phone not ringing out of state has just compounded the craziness!