Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What do you buy at Costco?

MathildaMaeMathildaMae Posts: 222Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2013 in Parent Cafe
Thinking about joining but have read mixed info on whether these kind of bulk-sales stores really have good deals. Any advice?
Post edited by MathildaMae on

Replies to: What do you buy at Costco?

• northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
    All of our plastic bags-ziplocs (gallon and quart), contractor (heavy duty) bags, kitchen bags

beauty supplies-razors, bar soap, anti-perspirant, heads for electric toothbrushes

Kirkland (their store brand) paper towels

dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, batteries

Staples like boxed cereals, fruit juice, snacks (ie: popcorn, fresh nuts, crackers)

Some fresh food on the day I go for the other stuff-ie:cookies, shrimp, flank steaks, roasted chicken, fresh fruit, bagged salad, fresh string beans, cheese, dips/spreads, salsa
  • anothermom-w-qanothermom-w-q Posts: 1,125Registered User Senior Member
    Toilet paper, dvds, socks, books, birthday cakes (they taste better than most bakery ones, and the price cannot be beat!), grapefruit, party food.

I go about once a month, and find it well worth it.
  • rhsmomrhsmom Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    Craisins, nuts, chocolate chips,
    ziploc bags, red peppers, sometimes cheese
  • 3togo3togo Posts: 5,225Registered User Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    everything ...

food - basic food stuffs like milk and cerals ... more surprising is the quality of the fresh food ... steak, salmon, freshly baked bread, muffins, and rolls

cloths - great for socks, underwear, jeans (if not into designer brands), sneakers (again if not into designer brands).

toiletries - toothpaste, razors, basic medicine like aspirin.

household stuff - batteries, shovels, etc

car - tires

If there is one that's convenient Costco can be a pretty good deal
  • GretaGreta Posts: 703Registered User Member
    Gasoline: best price in our area

We buy many of the items already listed above. An unusual product we discovered before Christmas and one I hope does not disappear: Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce. We have used it as a basting sauce and as an appetizer (poured over cream cheese and serve with crackers.)
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 16,736Registered User Senior Member
    Most of our household stuff.
    I get all my roses at Costco because they will usually last a week, $15 for 2 dozes long stem roses.

Of course, there was one time when I stood in front of their very large flat screen TV, my husband said, "NO, you are not." 15 mins later we had my D2 on my lap and D1 pushed against a window and the TV taking up most of the room in our SUV. My H does not let me go by their electronic section any more.
  • LongeyeMomLongeyeMom Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
    Bags of broccoli florets, boxed organic salad mix, boxed citrus fruit, in the summer, whole watermelons, blueberries, cherries, peaches

Frozen shrimp, spinach ravioli, cheese ravioli

Fish and chicken

Towels, sheets and pillows

I find that the quality is usually very good. Go during lunch and you can make a meal of the free samples!
  • toledotoledo Posts: 4,106Registered User Senior Member
    It's only a mile from my house so we go once a week. Gas is the big money-saver for us. I think their products, for the most part, are hit or miss, both in quality and in savings. Hits have been tires, a t.v. set, fresh flowers, beef tenderloin, whole cooked chickens, or most deli items, and discounted tickets for our local movie theater. Misses have been some frozen food items, some fresh fruit, and some expensive bottles of wine (because of broken seals), luggage that broke within 2 months, and expensive soda. My Kroger is less on sale items, in most cases. Go on a Saturday and tell them you'd like to take a look around before you join. If you know what items you may want to purchase, price them out elsewhere before the visit. On Saturdays, they have tons of samples for you to try. You'll get a good idea if you like what they offer.
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 Posts: 5,305Registered User Senior Member
    I belonged to Costco some years ago. It is great when you first move into a house, because they have great prices on things like fire extinguishers. Their food is good, but the quantities are very large. For that reason, I never bought fish or meat there, although I suppose I could have bought meat and repackaged it for the freezer. I bought the household items mentioned above there - toilet paper, toothpaste, etc. They also have good prices on OTC supplements, like CosaminDS.

I was always beguiled by the non-food items in the middle of the store, though. I would end up buying CDs, books, games, other things that were well priced, but that I didn't really need. Once I found a very high quality telescope for an unbelievable price. But I probably spent more on these "bargains" than I saved on the other items. This, combined with the 2.5 hours it usually took me to shop there, by the time I browsed through the fun stuff and stood in line forever, was the reason that I let my membership lapse.
  • CBBBlinkerCBBBlinker Posts: 2,643Registered User Senior Member
    Great prices and instant gratification on books.
    Socks for S since he goes through them like crazy and/or the dog chews them up since he (S) leaves them all over the floor.
    Sunblock in the summer for all our days at the beach.
    Memory cards for cameras -- the per card price was the lowest anywhere when I just bought a 4-pack for D's study abroad "Amazing Race."
    Cases of 1 L bottles of seltzer.
  • fireandrainfireandrain Posts: 3,372Registered User Senior Member
    Salmon. Costco has amazing salmon.

Good prices on ink for computer printers (sometimes significantly cheaper than elsewhere).

I find it tough to buy many of the bulk food items, since I'm usually only cooking for 2 and there is just so many cans of corn I need. But some of their frozen food is good and convenient when I don't feel like cooking.
  • somemomsomemom Posts: 9,216Registered User Senior Member
    Gas
    Toilet paper
    Paper towels
    Coffee Beans
    fresh meat- not usually cheaper, but generally an excellent restaurant level quality
    frozen meat
    half & half
    cheese
    laundry products
    some produce
    wine/alcohol (depending on your state rules)
    slippers
    socks
    books
    dog & cat food
    TV set
    down pillows
    chocolate covered caramel macademia nuts-don't try them!
    nuts
    chocolate chips
    sugar
    bread
    their bakery danish or muffins
    rotisserie chicken
    eggs
    bacon
    photo stuff
    pharmacy- you can rely on them to have low prices and other stores will sometimes meet the price

Not everything is a good deal, you need to know your prices, I remember 20 years ago I was suprised that diapers were no deal at all.
  • soozievtsoozievt Posts: 29,035Registered User, ! Senior Member
    Let's see....

Paper towels
    Toilet Paper
    Toothpaste
    ziploc bags
    trash bags
    bottled water
    condiments like ketschup, AI
    frozen uncooked shrimp
    frozen fried shrimp
    ribs
    pistachio nuts
    steaks (occasionally)
    sheet cakes for an occasion
    batteries
    fresh fruit like strawberries, blueberries, grapes
    party trays
    cereal
    lightbulbs
    copy paper
    blank CDs
    granola bars
    frozen chinese dumplings
    tampons
    post it notes
    sponges
    envelopes
    hand warmers (for inside ski gloves)
    socks
    fans
    paper plates, cups, bowls
    plastic silverware
    dishwasher detergent
    soap
    orange juice

specific item from time to time: vacuum cleaner, jewelry, mattress for D's apt.

Photo developing
    Pharmacy
    Eyeglasses
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
    somemom reminded me when she said photo stuff, that their photo paper is a very good deal. DH guest that there and ink for his office and home printers.
  • abasketabasket Posts: 8,595Registered User Senior Member
    Frequent items:
    GAS - anywhere from .10c to .20c cheaper!
    Kraft Parmesean cheese - mega container (my 11 year old inhales the stuff)
    Feminine products
    Hotdog/Hamburger buns
    Sourdough bread
    Flour tortillas - cheap!
    Orange Chicken
    Kirkland Vanilla Ice Cream - EXCELLENT!
    Simply Naked Pita Chips
    Packaged French-Style Fresh Green Beans - EXCELLENT!
    Blackberries
    Pre-cooked bacon for use in recipes or quick breakfast or BLT's
    Red Pepper Hummus

and more and more....

Big Purchase:
    Sony 42 inch - better deal than we could find anywhere!!!!