Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Where to go clam digging in New England?

Columbia_StudentColumbia_Student Posts: 5,046Registered User Senior Member
edited February 2009 in Parent Cafe
I'm planning a trip to New England and Eastern Canada in the summer. I thought it would be fun to go clam digging somewhere. Any suggestion? Thanks for any info.
Post edited by Columbia_Student on

Replies to: Where to go clam digging in New England?

• BigGBigG Posts: 3,885Registered User Senior Member
    Try near or even in the ocean.

Seriously, look at the Cape Cod National Seashore near Boston. Of course in a sense everything in New England is near Boston and everything else in New England. Don't forget old. Everything in New England is old. Except for the girls in Connecticut. They are hot.

Sorry. My youthful memories are having a dialog with my somewhat aged current self. LOL
  • Columbia_StudentColumbia_Student Posts: 5,046Registered User Senior Member
    Any where in Maine?
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 22,762Registered User Senior Member
    Rileys in Revere.
  • BigGBigG Posts: 3,885Registered User Senior Member
    I seem to recall Maine beaches as being rocky.

Any natives with current experience?

Be sure to eat lobster while in Maine. Eaten locally it is way better than after it has travelled about the country.

Boston baked scrod is good. I have never resolved the issue of what exactly is the food referred to as "scrod".
    I have heard at various times;
    Baby Cod.
    An actual species of fish referred to colloquially as scrod.
    The last white fish caught before the fishing boat heads home. Thus the freshest cod, halibut, haddock, etc. available.

I have witnessed two arguments and one actual fight among locals regarding the identity of "scrod".

Is the "no name" restaurant still on the commercial docks in Boston? Or has it passed into history as has so much of my cherished youth?
  • violadadvioladad Posts: 6,641Registered User Senior Member
    Check local laws, some locales might require permits.

In eastern Canada, the TransCan hugs the coast of New Brunswick on the Gulf of Maine and into the Bay of Fundy, home of incredible tides. Clams abound. One of the first stops in the province should be one of their excellent visitor info centers. They have info aplenty, and they tend to be staffed by local folks with specific local knowledge.

If you circle Nova Scotia, again, the most picturesque eastern route is close to the Atlantic shore, the western side to the Bay of Fundy. If you make it to Cape Breton, and do the scenic highway, make the sidetrip to Neil's Harbor. We had freshly landed swordfish cut into steaks right off the dressed fish on ice. Ate it for breakfast, lunch and supper at the ridiculous cost of Cdn$1.50 lb.

PEI is also a paradise. Ate more razor clams and quohogs than I care to remember.
    You can save the hassle if you don't feel like digging and getting muddy, as the routes abound with numerous dockside fish markets. You just find out when the boats come in. Could not be fresher.
    I don't mind permits, but I just want to know where to book hotel so I get lots of clams. I don't remember where in PEI that I dug but that was a long time ago.
    And it's not for food, it's digging that is fun for my kids. For example, when we went crabbing in Oregon, we ended up threw all of them back but my kids loved it.
  • scualumscualum Posts: 2,796Registered User Senior Member
    We dug huge buckets of them off the coast of cape cod near Chatham. Put them all back as we did not have a permit but the pictures and the memories are what matter.
    I'm not sure I'll have time for Cape Cod. I will spend about 5 days in MA and we have 3 schools to visit in 3 states.
  • LongPrimeLongPrime Posts: 5,208- Senior Member
    Hints:
    Clams got eyes
    Clams got legs.
    Some clams are smarter than others. And some are smarter than You.
    Never hunt clams at high tide. You make too much noise. Clam got ears.
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 23,148Registered User Senior Member
    I see people digging for clams at low tide in Red Brook Harbor at Cape Cod. (It's the town of Cataumet off Buzzards Bay.) You do need a permit.
  • maritemarite Posts: 21,586Registered User Senior Member
    When I was in college (eons ago) I went to Goddard State Park in Rhode Island. Plenty of clams for digging. I don't remember if we needed permit (anyway, things are bound to be different now).
    thanks marite, Rhode Island is doable. We will be spending one or two days there.

longprime, no clam fart?
  • LongPrimeLongPrime Posts: 5,208- Senior Member
    That is how you locate a prospective clam...look for the fart holes.
    You confirm the hole by sticking your longest finger into the hole. If you are lucky then you goose the clam, if you are unlucky you get a sand shrimp or sand worm hole. Neither the shrimp or worm bite. A goosed clam will reflexively go flaccid and withdraw into its shell.

Clam neck
    Really. HTG
  • chintzychintzy Posts: 604Registered User Member
    We clam in RI every summer. Permit is required and the cost is $100, I believe, but if you're doing "catch and release" you should be okay. Just watch out for the Harbor Master. Any of the salt ponds are good for clamming. We go to Ninigret Pond (Charlestown area) or Great Salt Pond
    A $100. That is crazy. Do they want to drive tourist away?