Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Dog question: What breed has golden eyes?

Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Posts: 16,250Registered User Senior Member
edited March 2009 in Parent Cafe
We are considering getting a mutt my brother has been taking care of for months. Very mild mannered and just gorgeous. I'm guessing he's about 2yo. I'm trying to figure out what kind of dog he is. He's got a short head and a little black on the tongue, which makes me think Chow. But his coat is beautiful, silky black edged with blond hair. The blond hair also is on his paws and around his face.

The only other distinguishing feature are these golden eyes. I've never seen anything like them. Are they a clue? Any ideas? Very gentle temperment. In fact, the reason they want to get rid of him is because the other dogs bully him. :(
Post edited by Youdon'tsay on

Replies to: Dog question: What breed has golden eyes?

• shelley14shelley14 Posts: 880Registered User Member
    My Boykin Spaniel has the most impressive, pondering golden eyes ever.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,257Registered User Senior Member
    Youdon'tsay, I think you've gone beyond the "considering getting a mutt" stage and are in the "I wonder what his heritage is" stage. It's over. Give in. He's yours now.
  • momof2incamomof2inca Posts: 3,484Registered User Senior Member
    We had a mutt for years, and he was black with medium long fur that had a bit of red tinge to it. Gold eyes. The pound lady said she thought part chow. I agree with VeryHappy, sounds like you want him! :)
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    Amazon.com: The Dog with Golden Eyes: Wilbur: Books

See the kid's book--Dog with the Golden Eyes. [turned out the dog was a wolf!]
  • papengenapapengena Posts: 354Registered User Junior Member
    My golden retreiver had gold eyes, but I guess thats a given, lol.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Posts: 16,250Registered User Senior Member
    LMNOP, I saw that when I was Googling. Please tell me the kindly adopters don't get eaten in the end.

Yes, y'all are right. I want him. In fact, there is no "considering" anymore. He is so gentl and well-trained and lovey-dovey. The one problem is we have a very old dog who he'd have to co-exist with. She's not long for this world and has hip issues, so it's not like she's a threat to the new dog, but I hate for it to be stressful for her. She's an outside dog, and the new one is house-trained, so I see him spending lots of time inside with me, as long as ds1 isn't allergic to her. They're together right now and all is fine, until he gets near her to get water.
  • NaturallyNaturally Posts: 1,308Registered User Member
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. :)

bailey_chesbayretr01.jpg_w450.jpg

Also Tollers (Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriver.)

NSToller400.jpg
    papengena, not to be stupid, but do all golden retrievers have golden eyes? I assumed the golden part referred to their coats. My guess would be part golden retriever judging by the texture of his coat and large paws and pleasant disposition.
    Yes, the golden does refer to the coat..lol, but mine had the prettiest golden eyes too. I miss her desparately...She lived to be 15, quite old for a golden. But the absolute best pet ever...not to snub my current shih tzu's.(all black or dark brown eyes)
    Oh, I know about a one, true pet love. Mine is the first dog dh and I got, just one month after we married. She already was 5yo when we got her, and it was the first time I had an inside dog as growing up we only had hunting dogs. We got the current dog as a puppy when our other dog was 13, and I've just never bonded with our new dog the same way. It's my fault, as I've learned I am not a puppy person. I like an older, already socialized dog. We didn't do right by our current dog. :(
    awww..I kind of understand that one Youdontsay...about feeling you're not doing right by your dog. We had two very cute fun dogs, and about 2 xmas's ago..somehow when the kids were home on break, the next thing I knew is, we were picking names for a new dog..."if we had one"...so, before I knew it we're all in the car off to look for a puppy!! He's sitting at my feet whining right now (I made the huge mistake of teaching him to speak..haha, I just haven't explained to him how to Shut up!!) Just like I'd imagine when you have your kids one at a time......the first one is all new, lots of attention etc..as you add kids, the novelty wears off a bit..(not the love, just the newness, and worries). So, I do make an extra point of paying attention to the new one..lol. Much to the dismay of the older two. Its not his fault we shouldn't have gotten him.
  • lspf72lspf72 Posts: 2,606Registered User Senior Member
    Golden eyes? I'd also lean towards sporting breeds like Chesapeakes, Irish water spaniels, and others that come with liver or straw-colored coats.
  • NovelistoNovelisto Posts: 2,955Registered User Member
    Weimaraner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They don't have black fur but they can have have startingly golden eyes.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Posts: 6,916Registered User Senior Member
    My golden retriever has golden eyes and spots on his tongue. He's beautiful. All of us have taken more pictures of him then each other!